Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Wacom graphite 2 button+wheel mouse with OSX

Wacom graphite 2 button+wheel mouse with OSX
smyrna
Oct 26, 2000, 05:24 PM

Any1 know if the Wacom graphite 2 button+wheel mouse will work under OSX without the drivers? tnx...

SerKevin
Oct 27, 2000, 10:32 AM

Sorry
Without the proper drivers OS X has no clue that the Wacom Tablet even exists. No tablet... no mouse.

I too would like to get mine working with OS X but it will not be happening any time soon. After diging through Wacom website for an hour I came across a statement that they will not be releasing a driver until OS X goes rev 1 next year.

Ditto for HP UBS inkjet printers, by the way !

Cheers!

Kevin

caltonian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2000, 11:52 AM

Ditto. Grrrrrrr. As an iMac user, I'm now stuck with their godawful burger-thingy meanwhile, after having fallen in love with the Wacom tablet over the past few months.

There is a Linux driver kicking around (linked from the Wacom website) with the source code available, by the look of it. I've been wondering about a compile of that for FreeBSD, but I'm afraid my own techie skills aren't really up to it. I might be able to lean on friends who could do this though. Anyone have any idea if it could work -- i.e. worth trying?

Cheers,
Nick

SerKevin
Oct 27, 2000, 02:32 PM

Caltonian,

I'm a developer. If you can point me to the source code I'll see what I can whip up.

However, I just loaded to OS X Dev Toolkit and I've never done Cocoa... could be interesting.

Cheers!

Kevin

citoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2000, 03:26 PM

I'd love to get my Graphire working in OS X. Here are the links: http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/index.html (wacom driver page) http://lepied.com/xfree86/ (linux driver page)

Best of luck!

------------------
ChangeIsTheOnlyConstant
"For once timid traveler, be careless and utterly lose your way." -Rabindranath Tagore

smyrna
Oct 29, 2000, 12:57 PM

Tnx 4 the info guys, let's hope something comes out of this...

SerKevin
Oct 30, 2000, 10:52 AM

Thanks,

I'll take a look at the page Tues. I'll let you know if a driver "hack" is possible.

Cheers!

Kevin

wyz
Oct 31, 2000, 02:44 PM

external hardware calls and drivers are not an easy hack, this is where the specifics of OSX show up really hard. we really need developers taking care of hardware biz.
------------------
El tiempo es un man�.

SerKevin
Oct 31, 2000, 03:09 PM

wyz,

I AM a developer (been at this 19+ years) and have written driver level software before.

I can't promise anything because this is beta sofware, but if I have a somewhat compatible example (e.g. the Linux driver) I may be able to port over a "rough" driver to provide limited support of the Graphire.

Besides, I have been researching this and Apple has provided a toolkit/framework that handles most of the difficult stuff.

As I stated before I'll take a look at the source today and see if it is even a remote possiblity.

Cheers!

Kevin

SerKevin
Oct 31, 2000, 08:06 PM

citoc,

Looks like the Linux driver (that I can find source for) does not support USB.

However, I'm going to look at Apple's I/O SDK. It is suposed to be able to make OS X drivers "easy" (boy I'm using that term loosely when talking about drivers) to create. I may be able to use logic from the code I have along with this toolkit to create a limited function driver for the graphire.

This is going to tke a while to process... I'll keep everyone posted.

Again, thanks for looking up the information.

Cheers!

Kevin

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2000, 07:19 PM

I'm interested in trying out a 2-button mouse on OS X. Can anyone recommend a good one, preferably optical?

ali
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2000, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Ron Goodman:
I'm interested in trying out a 2-button mouse on OS X. Can anyone recommend a good one, preferably optical?
The Microsoft USB IntelliMouse w/IntelliEye --- you take it out of the box, plug it in, and it just works! It is optical and has two buttons and scroll wheel. Costs about $30 I think.

Ali

citoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2000, 08:03 PM

Apparently this driver here ftp://ftp.aros.org/pub/ supports USB. And, if its any help, the BeOS version also supports USB http://www.xs4all.nl/~gfx/beos/ (source avalible, though I'm not sure if it is the USB one)

Just a thought.

------------------
ChangeIsTheOnlyConstant
"For once timid traveler, be careless and utterly lose your way." -Rabindranath Tagore

HamSandwich
Nov 4, 2000, 06:37 PM

that is what we NEED! people who do drivers aas hobby, very cool!
I love you boys!

Steve

SerKevin
Nov 7, 2000, 02:56 PM

Now, Now Steve... No need to get nasty.

I'll take a look at the driver pages tonight.

Cheers!

Kevin

mattmarshall
Senior User
Nov 7, 2000, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Ron Goodman:
my logitech optical, two button-scroll wheel mouse only cost me 30 bucks, and it's pretty sweet.
i'm using it in X right now...

i highly reccomend it....

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2000, 09:53 PM

The Kensington Optical Mouse in a Box costs $25 at CompUSA and works nicely with Cocoa applications, such as OmniWeb. Their web site says they're working on an OS X driver.

Forum Links
Forum Rules