Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > x windows ?

x windows ?
sprite
Oct 23, 2000, 04:02 PM

Can someone explain x windows (i think thats what they are called) basically how does a unix computer display a GUI interface. I dont understand there is xfree86 and gnome and kde.
My second question is there a way to use "x windows" on Mac OSX. i would like to try some of the open source graphics programs like gimp and blender.

Alex Duffield
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2000, 04:06 PM

Alex Duffield
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2000, 04:24 PM

Maybe this will help
http://www.x.org

That got to be amoung the cooler URLs

[This message has been edited by Scott_H (edited 10-23-2000).]

citoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2000, 08:33 PM

While I'm not an expert, here is the most I know about your question:

The X Window System (aka, X Window, X or the ever controversial X Windows), is a method of enabling graphic display on a Unix-like system. It is set up in a client/server model (although the reverse of what one would expect; the client is the one dishing out graphics, and the X Window server is the machine "serving," or displaying, the graphics to you) to allow graphics display on any machine on a network. XFree86 is an open source variant of the X Window System.

Since X only allows graphics to be displayed (it only has a rudimentary windowing system of its own) other bits must be added to create a "desktop environment." First, a window manager is usually added (Enlightenment, WindowMaker, et al). This program manages windows (imagine that ). It allows themeing of windows (they can look like anything), and works a bit with placement. Next a desktop environment can be added. This is where KDE and Gnome come into play.

Gnome and KDE provide a more integrated environment, combining the Graphics layer (X Window), window manager (Enlightenment or other), a program to browse the hard drive or network, and a host of other utilities for set up, clocks, Taskbar/Dock like (I know I'll be pummeled for saying this) and many of the other bits needed for other programs to run.

By compairison, Mac OS X has the Quartz layer controlling graphics and, to the best of my knowledge, windows and the Finder/Desktop and the Dock for other Desktop environment functions (this is a simplification).

The point of all this: to run one of the open source graphics apps which run under KDE or Gnome, one needs to have KDE or Gnome (or at least their libraries?) installed on top of X Window. Basically, you can't run both Quartz and X Window at the same time. However, X Window can run "underneath" OS X as a client, with an X Server optimized for Quartz/OS X. This is what Tenon provides with X tools. The other option is Xvnc. To find out more about it, check out this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum3/HTML/001268.html

I hope that helps.

------------------
ChangeIsTheOnlyConstant
"For once timid traveler, be careless and utterly lose your way." -Rabindranath Tagore

Forum Links
Forum Rules