Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Switching MacOS 8.5 to my powerbook

Switching MacOS 8.5 to my powerbook
Ean1985
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 10:19 AM

I have MacOS 8.5 on my old Performa 5200 and only MacOS 8 on my powerbook 1400cs (i seem to have a history of buying road macs ) i need OS 8.6 to run a piece of software on the powerbook and i'd like to know how i can get the OS of the performa and onto the powerbook? I've looked on ebay for 8.6 and haven't found any, only 8.0 and 9.2 which aren't really any use to me.
I have the upgrade for 8.5 to 8.6 already so all i need is to know how to transfer the OS.
Any help would be much appreciated, I'm trying to set up the laptop to get my mum connected to the internet and i'm a bit worried that if i don't get it running soon she'll lose interest.

notaclone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2004, 04:11 PM

If your performa came with an 8.5 CD Installer it could be generic enough to use on the 1400. That was always hit or miss on installers, but it worked more than 50% of the time in my experience.
A transfer would not work, as the CPU hardware differs so greatly.
Did you try Half.com? Do some serious digging on Apple's archives? They may have it on FTP.
Pack rat that I am, your query makes me realize it might be worth listing my old install CD's. Got at least one of everything back to 1984. But what if I find another Classic Mac in a dumpster?
Does anyone want a still shrink-wrapped Mac Paint 1.0 manual?
Agh, I spoke too soon. I think 8.5's at a sib's as I've got only 8.0 generic and 8.6.1/G3 here.
But I did come across the original disk and packaging for the very 1st game from Apple, �1983. Alice through the looking glass. Memories!
( Last edited by notaclone; Jun 27, 2004 at 04:28 PM. )

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2004, 10:31 PM

My tra-la-la
|wishing is for suckers|

Forum Links
Forum Rules