Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Making the Long switch.

Making the Long switch.
Rowen
Aug 15, 2003, 09:25 PM

Okay, here is the story of a boy and the longg wait for a powerbook.

I've been a devoted PC user since I can remember. Playing dos games and other things since about 4 or 5... my brother use to run a BBS so I have always been ahead of the techology curve since about 1992. well, as things progressed lately I decided to make the dreaded switch to apple since I needed something reliable for school and all my webhosting and design.

So for about a year I've been waiting for this next update to finally make the switch. I'm tired of windows not working, loosing school and important work, I'm a writer so i needed something portable. I'm a bit afraid since I've never touched a mac before. I've heard all the wonderful stories but I'm still a bit shy. My 18th birthday is coming up the first week of september so I decided to get it for then.

I've been listening to most of you rant off for the past couple of months about why to wait, why not to wait, etc... and I am going with those who say wait even though i want to get familur with OSX first. I'm going for the 15" uber pimpin' powerbook with the 3 year extended warrenty. I guess thats all thats left to wait. But thanks for all you people debating it, because i might have gotten an Ibook or something that would be outdated next week

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2003, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by Rowen:
Okay, here is the story of a boy and the longg wait for a powerbook.

I've been a devoted PC user since I can remember. Playing dos games and other things since about 4 or 5... my brother use to run a BBS so I have always been ahead of the techology curve since about 1992. well, as things progressed lately I decided to make the dreaded switch to apple since I needed something reliable for school and all my webhosting and design.

So for about a year I've been waiting for this next update to finally make the switch. I'm tired of windows not working, loosing school and important work, I'm a writer so i needed something portable. I'm a bit afraid since I've never touched a mac before. I've heard all the wonderful stories but I'm still a bit shy. My 18th birthday is coming up the first week of september so I decided to get it for then.

I've been listening to most of you rant off for the past couple of months about why to wait, why not to wait, etc... and I am going with those who say wait even though i want to get familur with OSX first. I'm going for the 15" uber pimpin' powerbook with the 3 year extended warrenty. I guess thats all thats left to wait. But thanks for all you people debating it, because i might have gotten an Ibook or something that would be outdated next week
I'm about your age with the same computer background. I just switched to a PB 12 and it's definitely been amazing. You will love OS X and the Mac world when you switch. Best of luck and be sure to consider a PB 12" - it's very portable - if you have an external monitor for your room (I have a 19" CRT).
Looking forward.

Rowen  (op)
Aug 16, 2003, 03:47 AM

I have a 21" Dell Trinitron monitor... I am guess I can use the Powerbook to hook into it. Thats rather nifty.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2003, 11:59 AM

I have a 21" Dell Trinitron monitor... I am guess I can use the Powerbook to hook into it. Thats rather nifty.
Yeah, that will be a nice complement to your Powerbook.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

javabeans
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Yeah, that will be a nice complement to your Powerbook.
My first Mac is a 17" PB and I'm loving it. As a matter fact, I'm outside my garden connected wirlessly to my neighboor's AP and writing this post...just awesome..

oh...also, iTunes is playing away while Im doing all this...
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

azarel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2003, 02:19 PM

My first mac is a pb 12"...Absolutely love it to the core man...I hooked it up to my samsung 151s and I'm glad to say that I don't have to put up with Windows anymore...esp with all the work and satisfaction that I get from OSX...Making the switch was the best decision that I've ever made..

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2003, 10:10 PM

Sounds awesome man...as shy as I was, you'll never regret the switch to Mac once you've made! Hold tight just awhile longer if you can & see if the new 15" Aluminum PowerBooks are released!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Rowen  (op)
Aug 17, 2003, 02:54 AM

I do have a question though, since I've been on windows all my life i've been seeing the Virtual PC stuff that emulates windows... whats the take on that, will i even need it?

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2003, 03:38 AM

BTW, an iCurve can make the dual-monitor setup even more complete - your laptop will be put at a height nearly equal to your other monitor. The iCurve also has room underneath it. I just got one and am very impressed.

I do have a question though, since I've been on windows all my life i've been seeing the Virtual PC stuff that emulates windows... whats the take on that, will i even need it?
I switched from Windows 2000 to OS X without much problems. You will probably need to buy some software licenses, e.g. Office v.X but almost anything is available on OS X that's on Windows except some propreitary programs (certain majors require - ask your school). I found that some browsing on VersionTracker can turn up some freebies and shareware that do almost all of what Windows progs do and usually the Mac programs are better anyway so you won't want to be using your old versions. Heck, there's even a brand new KaZaA-like program called Poisoned that looks and works even better than KaZaA. There's little reason to invest in VirtualPC except for some legacy support if you can't find something available on Mac. Also note you can buy the DOS version of VirtualPC for about $100 and save by installing Windows from your Windows CD. It should be noted that VirtualPC runs best with lots of RAM and CPU power. Don't expect great performance when a laptop runs it. I'd recommend finding OS X apps for all your needs and taking advantage of the OS X world's advantages to the fullest.
Looking forward.

Rowen  (op)
Aug 17, 2003, 11:07 PM

My major in school is psychology, one of the main professors uses an IBook and he suggested I look at a PowerBook since the Ibook has rather 'fallen' behind. Also in the last year or so anything that i have been forced to buy i have made sure it has the OSX sticker on it

You mentioned the processor, I am really unclear on how it equates out to PCs... but I guess a 1.0G4 powerbook is equivalent to a 2.0celeron laptop? or however it is... its something i've just smiled and nodded at and not really understood I know that its a different processor technology. I guess RAM wise i need to get atleast 512-1gig.

As for Kazaa I know one of the three creators from Estonia, hehe. He programmed a game and i ran the major websites for it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2003, 11:32 PM

You mentioned the processor, I am really unclear on how it equates out to PCs... but I guess a 1.0G4 powerbook is equivalent to a 2.0celeron laptop? or however it is... its something i've just smiled and nodded at and not really understood I know that its a different processor technology.
They're in the same ballpark. The G4 is slower in some regards, but excels in software specifically enhanced for the Velocity Engine. This is usually audio, video, or advanced math & sciences stuff.

I guess RAM wise i need to get atleast 512-1gig.
The more, the better, if you can afford it, but 512 is definitely a good start.

-s*

tritonus
Senior User
Aug 18, 2003, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by javabeans:
My first Mac is a 17" PB and I'm loving it.
Same here.

I have been using PCs for more than ten years but sold my Compaq notebook this January. I'm also a Windows network administrator.

So glad I went for the 17" PB. I can do everything I could with a PC and more.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules