Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB not waking up after un-plug ipod

PB not waking up after un-plug ipod
javabeans
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2003, 08:55 PM

Hi,

My 17' PB doesn't wake up when I plug-in my ipod, close the laptop lit, then un-plug the ipod. When I open laptop lit, OSX doesn't wake up. I had to press the power button to restart.

I've also seen this with a USB mouse.

Any ideas how to avoid this?

Thanks.
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2003, 09:27 PM

Um.

Don't just unplug the iPod.

you need to unmount (eject) it, either from iTunes, or, if it's mounted as a removable hard disk, from the Finder.

Neither that nor the mouse should crash your Mac, though. Just unplugging the iPod should throw up a dialog box saying something like "The volume you have removed has not been properly put away. If you do it this way, you may damage the filesystem, resulting in data loss or corruption."

Does the 'book's hard drive come on (the faint whirring sound) and the monitor just stay dark, or is the machine off entirely?

what kind of mouse? did you install specific drivers for it?

unplugging my USB audio interface while the 'book is sleeping will kill it occasionally, as well. This is due to a faulty driver (**** tascam).

-s*

javabeans  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2003, 09:43 PM

Hi Spheric Harlot,

Thanks for replying so quickly. I understand that you have to eject a volumn to un-mount it. Normally, you don't have to do that for an iPod right? I often just un-plug the ipod when the laptop is on and the iPod icon automatically un-mounts.

Yeah..the laptop is just black when I open the lit up. Normally, I would hear sounds of the CD/DVD drive trying to mount....but in this case, I didn't hear anything.

As for the mouse, I have an Apple mouse. I don't need to install any driver for this do I? Don't scare me with a "YES" since this is what I want to avoid....Its not the same as a Windows I hope.

I hope Panther will fix this....I'm looking forward to the new release.

Thanks!
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

Forum Links
Forum Rules