Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > panther & powerbook

panther & powerbook
janmc
Sep 17, 2003, 01:34 PM

does anyone know if the new powerbook purchasers get any discount on panther when it's released?

here's hoping!

DZimmerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 02:48 PM

Even if they offer a discount , will it only be for a limited time? I dont plan on running out and buying panther immediately. I would like to wait to make sure nothing messes up my new 15".

Commodus
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 03:21 PM

The last time Apple had discount pricing, it was with Jaguar and only started when Apple had announced a final ship date for the OS upgrade. Panther hasn't been given a final date, so you probably won't get an upgrade if you order now.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2003, 03:39 PM

DISCOUNT?
why would apple charge ANYTHING for Panther to folks who've bought new powerbooks just 2 months before its arrival on the shelves

no offense, but i would think that recent purchasers should receive a FREE copy of Panther.

am i nuts thinking this?

greg

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Sep 17, 2003, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by spalding12:
DISCOUNT?
why would apple charge ANYTHING for Panther to folks who've bought new powerbooks just 2 months before its arrival on the shelves

no offense, but i would think that recent purchasers should receive a FREE copy of Panther.

am i nuts thinking this?

greg
That's what Apple has done in the past. They usually charge $20 for shipping and handling.

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2003, 05:17 PM

thanks for restoring my faith in APPLE.
i was hoping that someone would tell me this.

greg

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2003, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
That's what Apple has done in the past. They usually charge $20 for shipping and handling.
Correct me of I'm wrong but apple only did that when they said what the official release date was and they haven't done that yet for panther. My guess is if you bought a new mac today you will have to pay for the upgrade when it finally is available.

Of course only apple knows for sure and this is all speculation.

Good Luck
Mike

janmc  (op)
Sep 18, 2003, 06:23 AM

thanks for the replies.

i do think it's ridiculous that i'll probably have to pay for an upgrade after spending �3000.

did you guys realise that to buy a pb with identical specs in ireland is almost $600 more expensive than in the US?

it would be cheaper for me to fly over and pick one up!

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2003, 06:26 AM

unless Panther is delayed until 2004, i believe that Apple would be making an extremely bad PR move by charging folks who've bought a machine in the past 4 months full price for that upgrade.

we know that
they know that

greg

javabeans
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2003, 08:13 AM

When I bought the PB 17 back in April, I got couple coupons for free upgrade of some sort (don't remember exactly since I was too excited to play with the laptop and never really read the details of the coupons)

Hopefully I can use then for the upgrade. If not, I'm willing to pay for it!
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2003, 03:52 PM

This post confirms that coupons come with the new powerbooks that can be used for discounts on upcoming Operating systems, i am not sure why the detail is unclear (like what the coupon says, or what % or what price the update will be) but apple will acknowledge that you just bought a new machine by giving you these "coupons" .

keep in mind i do not konw this, just crost posting info in an attempt to confirm something.Mac Central post

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 04:42 PM

ye...

I got these coupons when I bought my 12" in July...

they are green in colour...

I wonder what I can use them for...

lates...

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2003, 05:34 PM

It doesn't matter if I get a discount or not, either way I'll pay for it. Even at the full price, I'll still be happy to pay for it. Also, those of us who are renewing our .Mac accounts will most likely get a discount for any software product from Apple, so that's what I'm planing to use it on, buying Panther when it's released.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules