Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Chances of a Xmas season price drop or . . .

Chances of a Xmas season price drop or . . .
Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2003, 10:34 AM

Just curious if we might see a price drop for the G5 line for the holiday season. Or will they just tweak the configurations for MWSF (essentially getting a current system at a cheaper price). I don't know Apple's recent history for the holiday cause I just returned back to Mac in January.

Ordering a new powerbook withing a week but I may be able to swing getting a G5 under the tree as well.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 12:31 PM

I don't think you would see a price drop, the G5's are selling like hotcakes and this is a high end computer that isn't normally bought for the holidays.

What Apple normally does is throw in a printer or $30 off .Mac. Not worth waiting for.

I can't see any speedbumps in January as the G5's JUST started shipping.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

-Q-
Oct 15, 2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Crusoe:
Just curious if we might see a price drop for the G5 line for the holiday season. Or will they just tweak the configurations for MWSF (essentially getting a current system at a cheaper price). I don't know Apple's recent history for the holiday cause I just returned back to Mac in January.

Ordering a new powerbook withing a week but I may be able to swing getting a G5 under the tree as well.
Apple typically only offers price breaks when they introduce new models. Sales are rare.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 01:06 PM

I think the last round of Titanium PowerBooks received TWO price cuts during its life cycle, but that was to spur demand on a product that was getting a little long in the tooth. Generally, as others have said, prices change with new models; I don't think the G4 towers ever saw price cuts that weren't related to revisions.

I'm with Immortal K-mart on this one, G5 revisions before Christmas or even at MWSF would be really early. There has to be one rev over the winter since Steve has already said they'll be at 3GHz by the end of the summer, and I'm assuming they're not just going to jump from 2GHz to 3GHz in one step, but January is too soon to drop the current line and would make it too long until the next rev (guessing September).

ourisman
Oct 15, 2003, 02:00 PM

My take is that MacWorld San Francisco will feature Steve Jobs announcing the new lineup. At that time, I'd guess that the 1.8 will become the low end of the line (and cost $1999), the dual 2.0 will become the midpoint (and cost $2399, and a 2.4 or 2.5 dual will be announced, costing $2999. Under this scenario, the price drops would happen as of the keynote speech, but the new high ends will entail another round of ... waiting for orders to ship!

fraeone
Oct 15, 2003, 04:54 PM

I agree with ourisman.

I'm sure the most we could get at MWSF is an announcement of something to come. The G5s just started shipping. As the Dual machines have been selling at a much higher ratio than anyone (Apple included) expected, I agree that they will probably add a faster dual, and keep the dual 2 around at a lower price point, although I would guess more like 2700 than 2400. The extra cost overhead of having 2 cpus is more than a faster clocked cpu. Here's hoping they do ditch the 1.6 and move the 1.8 to its price.

fraeone

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 15, 2003, 05:17 PM

Remember the TiBook was NINE months old before they refreashed it and that is the flagship laptop.

"Hello, what have we here?

javabeans
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2003, 09:37 PM

I'm looking to buy a PB 12" this Xmas. It'll be nice if they drop the price...I'll get some extra $ for accessories....I'm just hopeful...
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

Forum Links
Forum Rules