Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New mac user... unfamiliar with OS installation do's and don'ts. help with panther

New mac user... unfamiliar with OS installation do's and don'ts. help with panther
Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 03:51 PM

I as well as many on this board will be installing panther on the new powerbooks in a few short days. What is the best method. I've only been using my 10.2.8(updated) 15AL for a few weeks, I have setup alot of applications and stuff like that. Can i simply pop the cd into the drive and choose upgrade, or is it advised that I back up my appilcations or choose another form of instalation so that my mac will run smoothly. For instance, i would NEVER upgrade from one windows operating system to another. Can I do this on a mac without a worry?

p.s. I purchased an edu discounted copy of panther (so i can do a clean install if i want)
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 04:24 PM

The simple answer is that yes, you can simply plop it in and go, but it is ADVISABLE to backup, just in case. If you have a theme installed, it�s probab;y best to revert to aqua, and most other things like that.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 04:31 PM

I would advise you to backup first, before installing the OS. I would do a clean install rather than an upgrade.

regards

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 04:32 PM

Hey i wrote a pdf on the installation and will offer to email it to you. I will also offer to help you over IM whille you install it. I am a long time mac user and dont mind at all. If you want this detailed PDF file give me permissoin to email it by dropping me a PM.

I have everything documented because so many people ask me how. I am already giving it to about 10 people so... One more won't hurt.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

cambro
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
If you have a theme installed, it�s probab;y best to revert to aqua, and most other things like that.
Yeah, this is always rich. People will glibly install Apple system software updates with all sorts of system hacks installed and running and then complain endlessly about how the update totally sucks cuz it scewed up their system. It's always good for a laugh.

So yeah, if you've hacked up your install (which is perfectly cool ), just be sure to restore it to the state Jag expects to see in order to reduce the likelyhood of something going wrong.

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 06:33 PM

Major updates to the Mac OS can be done through the plain old upgrade process...

Especially compared to Windows when updating could lead to some major problems, Mac OS X does an excellent job of keeping preferences, making the transition from one major system to another...

However, there is something to be said for clean installs as well. If you are concerned that you have alot of 3rd party apps that make interfering modifications to the OS, then a clean install is a good thing.

javabeans
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2003, 09:07 PM

I'm waiting for Panther to be out on 10.24 and then order a 12" PB, which should come with Panther. Do you think I can use he 12" CDs to upgrade/install Panther on my existing 17" PB?
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 21, 2003, 09:33 PM

Do a backup of all your important stuff, and then do an Archive and Install.

Basically, it does a clean install, keeps most of your software intact (although some may not work if it's odd stuff), and backs up the rest in a separate folder.

For me, stuff like Toast 6, Office, Keynote, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Transmit, etc. all continued to work fine with an archive and install.

And yes, Expose rocks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules