Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I finally did it!

I finally did it!
Seqiro
Nov 19, 2003, 08:44 PM

Well, after being married three years to my wonderful wife--a longtime Mac user--I finally ordered the first Mac of my very own!

I ordered a 17" 1.33GHz Powerbook with a single-dimm gig of RAM and the 5400RPM drive, along with a lot of goodies for it. I've used my wife's 400MHz iMac and 300MHz iBook extensively since OS X came out and have been waiting for this moment for quite some time. Finally my own machine and a whole lot more speed. Oh yeah, I'm a PC technician by day.

Don't worry, we didn't leave my wife behind. Not even close! She ordered a Dual 2-GHz G5 with a 9800 Pro and a gig of RAM and 20" Cinema Display. If I didn't really need a portable I would have gone that way myself, but I had to pick one or the other and I just really need something I can bring with me.

Anyway, I don't know when our new toys will come but I can't wait!

javabeans
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Seqiro:
Well, after being married three years to my wonderful wife--a longtime Mac user--I finally ordered the first Mac of my very own!

I ordered a 17" 1.33GHz Powerbook with a single-dimm gig of RAM and the 5400RPM drive, along with a lot of goodies for it. I've used my wife's 400MHz iMac and 300MHz iBook extensively since OS X came out and have been waiting for this moment for quite some time. Finally my own machine and a whole lot more speed. Oh yeah, I'm a PC technician by day.

Don't worry, we didn't leave my wife behind. Not even close! She ordered a Dual 2-GHz G5 with a 9800 Pro and a gig of RAM and 20" Cinema Display. If I didn't really need a portable I would have gone that way myself, but I had to pick one or the other and I just really need something I can bring with me.

Anyway, I don't know when our new toys will come but I can't wait!

Congrats...My first Mac is a PowerBook 17" 1Ghz and I'm loving it. Enjoy!
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2003, 11:51 PM

Congrats, just settling in with my 15-inch 1.25GHz powerbook. Bought a desk and bookcase and put a little workspace together for it.

Even bought a wireless mouse and keyboard for it. Was looking at the Apple Bluetooth solution, but the logitech duo was on sale for the price of just the wireless keyboard...so you know which one I got.

Hopefully your BTO comes in soon so you can enjoy it...

Terrance
15.2" 1.25GHz Powerbook G4
(First official mac)

My Ghetto Hot Mess

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 12:04 AM

Do you need an adopted son? I tote my own powerbook 15...

Just kidding, but that's gonna be one sweet setup.

Seqiro  (op)
Nov 20, 2003, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by anaphora68:
Do you need an adopted son? I tote my own powerbook 15...

Just kidding, but that's gonna be one sweet setup.
Well believe me we don't normally spend this much money on ANYTHING because we don't usually have money to spend. My wife's great aunt passed away a little over a month ago and left her and her sister a LOT of money. We were finally able to pay off all of our credit card bills, buy these computers, and we're putting the rest away for a future house and family.

So we're pretty much loading these two babies up because from now on we're going to be a little more financially responsible than we have in the past. This is our one last fling.

I know I'm going to be jealous of my wife's rig, but I'm pretty sure that I'll be quite happy with my PowerBook. I'll still keep my PC around for gaming and a few other things, but the PowerBook is basically going to be a desktop replacement for me. I'm starting to do some actual real (albeit amateur) work with Photoshop and Illustrator, and I'll be moving all of that work to the PowerBook. And I actually purchased the Adobe CS software with the Mac to have legal copies, as opposed to the... um... evaluation copies I ran on my Windows box.

In truth, my homebrew PC is in all likelihood faster than the PowerBook (not the G5 though). But moving to Panther from XP will make up for it and then some. And it's not like I'm throwing the PC out, either. For what I'll be doing, I probably won't even notice the difference. Most of that power I got for gaming, which won't be a priority on the PowerBook.

I can't wait to get this thing. And yet, I have a feeling I'll be waiting for a while yet.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2003, 08:17 AM

I think once that Powebook arrives all thoughts of G5 jealousy will disappear. My 17" has been around about 8 months and I envy no ones setup and take it everywhere. Mobility is where it's at man...
You did the right thing.

ingeniero
Nov 20, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Seqiro:
I know I'm going to be jealous of my wife's rig, but I'm pretty sure that I'll be quite happy with my PowerBook.
If you're married, I'm sure she'll let you play with the G5..je je..Hell, what are wives for!

Seqiro  (op)
Nov 20, 2003, 07:22 PM

Oh I'm sure she'll let me. You know, when she's not using it. Which will probably be when she's napping or something.

Forum Links
Forum Rules