Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mouse doesn't click on a small screen area

Mouse doesn't click on a small screen area
javabeans
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2004, 11:47 PM

Recently I've noticed some strange behavior on my PB 17'. There is a small area about 1x1.5 inch on the bottom of the screen right above the "PowerBook G4" print that the mouse doesn't click. Application Icons on the Dock, appear on this area, are magnified when I move the mouse over but when I click to launch the app, nothing happens. If I move right or left out of this area and click on different app. icon then the app launches.

Does anybody see this behavior?
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2004, 04:11 AM

yeah i have the same thing going on with my 12" PB it's a new thing, it wasn't happing 2 months ago...

i use side track but i've used that for the last 6months and not had a problem

it's very very strange.....

any body have a fix

sk

javabeans  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2004, 09:31 PM

I don't know if this is some kind of bug that was introduced in those updates in the Software Updates. It was fine after I install Panther. Only recently that I've seen this. Gotta go Apple support for this....keep you all updated once I know what's the deal is.
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

javabeans  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2004, 08:28 PM

After a restart, things works fine. However, I also found out that this happens AFTER I change some Mouse/Trackpad setting under System Preferences with out a reboot.
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

kelix
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2004, 01:11 AM

My emac with 10.3.2 and a Logitech MX700 is doing the same thing!!! mouse will move fine over it but i cant click or drag when its in that area.. its a new bug from 10.3.2 cuz it sure want like that b4!

sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2004, 03:38 AM

anyone else getting this with the 12" screen it's not so **** hot....

it musta come down with the last update cause it's a nu problem....

sk

javabeans  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2004, 06:25 PM

I think it is a new issue. As I mentioned before that after the restart, the machine is fine. After further investigating, it appeared to be that this problem/behavior happens a gain after a while. So for now, a restart temporarily fixes this issue...but this is not the way to go. I don't know if there is already a bug submitted to Apple for this.
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

Basilisk
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2004, 09:03 PM

Have you turned on the hidden alternate Expose mode using TinkerTool or the like? This mode is buggy, see the comments at:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...9&query=expose

The symptoms of this problem are exactly what you describe. I suspect that if you revert to normal expose behavior you'll find the problem goes away.

Alex

javabeans  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2004, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Basilisk:
Have you turned on the hidden alternate Expose mode using TinkerTool or the like? This mode is buggy, see the comments at:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...9&query=expose

The symptoms of this problem are exactly what you describe. I suspect that if you revert to normal expose behavior you'll find the problem goes away.

Alex
Thanks so much for the tip. I did use the above hint from macosxhints. The small screen area that I described was the exact location where the desktop thumbnail sit when F11 is hit. After I disabled this hack, everything worked fine.

Out of curiosity I enabled the hack again but the behavior did not appear UNTIL I hit F11. I think I'll disable this hack for good!

Thanks again!
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

Forum Links
Forum Rules