Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 12" Hard Drive Upgrade

PB 12" Hard Drive Upgrade
Xtopolop
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2006, 02:17 AM

i have a rev. c 12" pb, and my hard drive just died. i found an online tutorial on how to get to the hard drive, but found removing the top plate (palm wrests + trackpad) very difficult to remove. all the screws were removed, and i was able to pull up all the corners except the one directly above the hd. supposedly all it takes is some light pressure to pry it up, but i pulled almost to the point where i thought it would break. has anyone else had problems removing this piece from their 12"? a friend of mine even checked the service manual, and it didn't have any more info than the tutorial. any advice??

Pennstate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2006, 04:13 AM

use a credit card to pry it open. But before you do that, did you remove the screws on the left side of the case?

Xtopolop  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2006, 05:24 PM

yep, removed all the screws on the left hand side. using a cc sounds like a good idea, i'll try that later tonight. thanks!

Xtopolop  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2006, 03:53 AM

yay, finally back to osx... no more using my xp laptop from work! the cc helped some, but i just got fed up and started prying at it and eventually it popped off.

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 06:04 PM

Wow, this is weird, yours is the 4th Rev. C 12" PowerBook that I know of whose HDD has just failed.

uzombie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 07:00 PM

Curiously enough my Rev C hdd gave up about four weeks ago...

Replacing it was a nightmare - I think a sadist designed the screws in the battery compartment!

javabeans
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 07:10 PM

I just replaced my g/f 12" Powerbook as well. The hard drive failed about 3 weeks back...luckily we were able to get all the data in her home directory off to an external hard drive. The new hd as a 5400rpm Seagate and it worked pretty well. Launch time of apps is noticeably quicker
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 10:57 PM

How big of a hard drive can you put in a 12" PB Rev C or D? And, how can I tell which Rev I have?
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

Pennstate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by NateEssex
How big of a hard drive can you put in a 12" PB Rev C or D? And, how can I tell which Rev I have?

I put a 80GB in mine. I think you can get them up to 120GB now. Make sure you don't get a SATA drive.

vacationgirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 11:10 PM

I just did the replacement myself, same computer, same drive problem. Even I had the same trouble lifting up the bottom case at the front. That's why the little black nylon stick in the Apple manuals is so important... Now I just need to figure out a way to cool down my GPU! If anyone has any advice or thoughts on how to get the best heat transfer from the GPU to the heatsink, I'm all ears!

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2006, 11:18 PM

ha! i also put a 100gb hd in mine, very good investment as I find the drive to also be considerably faster, i know bought an external firewire 250 gb (139$ from compusa) to do backups!

I experienced the same problem, i had to pull very hard to lift the top plate, but then I found out that there was an additional screw, when removing that last screw it was then very easy to lift iit!

I have a Rev. A, if that matters!

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2006, 04:18 PM

You all are a lot braver than I. After looking at install instructions for my rev A, I have decided I should pay to have someone do this for me.

Anyone have any good leads for this?

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by playtech1
Curiously enough my Rev C hdd gave up about four weeks ago...

Replacing it was a nightmare - I think a sadist designed the screws in the battery compartment!
I actually stripped one of those screws and had to drill it out. Not fun. The MacBook I just picked up is a blessing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules