Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Pgp Finally!

Pgp Finally!
Kristoff
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2002, 02:07 PM

You must have seen the news on the MacNN main page. But if you haven't, PGP 8.0 (beta) is out for OS X

It is very well done.

Cocoa, seemless mail.app integration, very stable.

I recommend NOT using PGP/mime in favor of inline encryption--it's easier to use and PGP/mime was having issues.

It works great. Everyone should check it out.

I don't know why more people don't encrypt their email. I guess people like the thought of unscrupulous sysadmins and bored kids reading their email.

Anyway...check it out.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Evan DiBiase
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2002, 04:23 PM

I am tremendously impressed. It's good to see some larger (or at least more well-known) vendors embracing Cocoa and becoming good OS X "citizens"; Dock menus, Services support, and Mail.app integration really make this particular piece of software stand out.

Not to mention the fact that it looks and feels like an OS X application should, which is totally important and ignored to a large degree by quick Carbon ports.

This kind of attention to detail and consistency is what brought me to the Mac from Linux, and I'm really excited to see the huge improvement from the first round of OS X software to the second. It's enough to make a Cocoa developer proud!

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2002, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
You must have seen the news on the MacNN main page. But if you haven't, PGP 8.0 (beta) is out for OS X

It is very well done.

Cocoa, seemless mail.app integration, very stable.

I recommend NOT using PGP/mime in favor of inline encryption--it's easier to use and PGP/mime was having issues.

It works great. Everyone should check it out.

I don't know why more people don't encrypt their email. I guess people like the thought of unscrupulous sysadmins and bored kids reading their email.

Anyway...check it out.
For those that download this and get a .php file, simply change the siffix to .sit and all will be fine.

happy encrypting!

mlknowle
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2002, 09:18 PM

For some reason, PGP won't install the Entourage plugin on my mac! I've tried re-downloading and re-installing, and it does install the app, but it won't install the script menu for entourage (it says it should go in ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Entourage Script Menu Items). Has anyone else run into this? I don't see any comments about it here or on VT.

Overall, the app does look great - good use of brushed metal for the 'toolbar' window... I'd love to get it working with entourage. I even downloaded Pacifist, and cracked open the installer, but I couldn't find the entourage script inside there. Would someone mind sending me the script (not the whole installer please) if it installed for you? I'd like to play around with getting it to work before I report the bug to PGP (whoever owns it now...) so that it's a little more helpful for them. My e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks

Kristoff  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 12:45 AM

While I can't help your Entourage problem, I do say I find it amusing that you are worried enough about security to install PGP, yet you still use Microsoft products.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 01:29 AM

Well put

-

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2002, 03:33 AM

I can't get past the point where it asks me to Save the PGP Disk.
It won't save so I have to cancel leaving me with nothing ?

TiBook, 400, 10.2.1

Michael

bluehz
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2002, 07:43 AM

I have used PGP since v 2.x - finally gave up on it when they refused to support OS X in a timely fashion. I decided to install the new version yesterday to try it out.

IMHO - this version of PGP is ABSOLUTE CRAP!!!! This should not be listed as beta - it is more of an alpha release. I HIGHLY recommend you DO NOT attempt to use this version of PGP in OS X until they get some things straight.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by bluehz:
I have used PGP since v 2.x - finally gave up on it when they refused to support OS X in a timely fashion. I decided to install the new version yesterday to try it out.

IMHO - this version of PGP is ABSOLUTE CRAP!!!! This should not be listed as beta - it is more of an alpha release. I HIGHLY recommend you DO NOT attempt to use this version of PGP in OS X until they get some things straight.
Like what?

Kristoff  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by bluehz:

What ARE you talking about???

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Oct 12, 2002, 04:03 PM

Does it import or use keys made with GnuPG?

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2002, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
While I can't help your Entourage problem, I do say I find it amusing that you are worried enough about security to install PGP, yet you still use Microsoft products.
heh. however, I think entourage is reasonably secure because it's not on Windows and it doesn't have the scripting (javascript) 'oversights' present in OE and Outlook for Windows. hideous about security those programs are.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2002, 09:42 PM

riddle me this: I go to Russia from time to time. Russia isn't on the approved list of countries for PGP export. If I take PGP (either beta or final) over there on a disc or laptop, are the feds going to bust me for illegal export of encryption tech?

I think the feds have better things to do, but I don't trust 'em: many times, I think they're out just to bust anybody they can, in order to rack up the arrest and prosecution numbers.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 12:54 AM

Ah, I wouldn't worry about the Feds busting you for bringing PGP 8 to Russia. After all, Mr. Zimmerman left the company as version 7 made its debut, with the implication that he could not bear to be associated with products that he could not verify were secure. Backdoors, anyone? Yes, I am paranoid.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 01:12 AM

Ok, so I installed it and re-launched Mail.app and guess what? It just hangs there, not even opening. I deleted the plug-in bundle (alias anyway) and Mail launched. Anyone get it to work with PGP?

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2002, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by fulmer:
riddle me this: I go to Russia from time to time. Russia isn't on the approved list of countries for PGP export. If I take PGP (either beta or final) over there on a disc or laptop, are the feds going to bust me for illegal export of encryption tech?

I think the feds have better things to do, but I don't trust 'em: many times, I think they're out just to bust anybody they can, in order to rack up the arrest and prosecution numbers.
I thought those restrictions all went away awhile ago ?

http://www.pgpi.org/news/#19991213

or was there a list of countries that couldn't exported to?

In any case there was always a legally exported copy available
from

http://www.pgpi.org

-- Michael

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 02:57 AM

Pretty Good Paranoia

VRL
Senior User
Oct 15, 2002, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
Ok, so I installed it and re-launched Mail.app and guess what? It just hangs there, not even opening. I deleted the plug-in bundle (alias anyway) and Mail launched. Anyone get it to work with PGP?
Yes. Working great with mail.app on G3 Powerbook.

But PGP won't even launch on my G4 desktop. Unexpectedly quits immediately.
Anyone know of any incompatibilities??

As for usefulness of PGP, anything to make commo more private is a good thing, in my book. When I mail a letter, I put it in an envelope for the same reason - a likelihood of maintaining privacy. If I don't care, I send a postcard (much like plain e-mail).

Surely, the FBI is too busy, and will only look hard at a person who associates with some kind of criminal element. If you don't, probably no worries
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2002, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by NeXTLoop:
Does it import or use keys made with GnuPG?
Doesn't seem to.

Anyone know a way to integrate this with a chat program? I like how Fire works with GPG. Anything work with PGP?

Forum Links
Forum Rules