Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just ordered my 900mhz iBook!

Just ordered my 900mhz iBook!
Silencer
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2003, 01:56 AM

12.1", 60gb, 640 Ram and apple care for AUD $3300, it should be in my possesion on Thursday I can't wait!!!!!!! I think i'll either knock myself out or take some sleeping tablets so that the time passes quicker

Anyone know if the spanning hack will work on the new models??
( Last edited by Silencer; Apr 28, 2003 at 02:10 AM. )

StayWhatYouAre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2003, 07:58 AM

Ordered mine today as well. (900 ,14.1)
Should be here wednesday.
Can't wait either.

Where did you order yours from?
I'm from Australia as well.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2003, 08:27 AM

Congrats guys!! Best of luck w/ your new iBooks!

And "StayWhatYouAre", I dig your username...by chance is it referring to the title of a band called "Saves The Day"'s album?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

syang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2003, 10:31 PM

Hmm. I am a first time Mac buyer from Down Under as well. Ordered mine (900Mhz 12" iBook 40Gb/Airport) from on-line Apple Store last Tuesday (22 April) when it just came out, but it quoted 2-3 weeks of delivery. It is currently "Being Assembled", according to the order status page. Hopefully they did not start from scratch.

Where did you guys order yours to get speedy delivery? How long does it usually take for Apple Store to deliver?

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2003, 11:44 PM

Good purchase guys!

I got myself a 12" 800 Combo in March - Rock Solid little laptop they are too! How much memory did you fill 'em up with ??

syang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2003, 12:02 AM

Well. I did not get the memory from Apple, but I am getting it from somewhere else for a cheaper price. I am getting a 512Mb stick for around AUD$240. Now I just need to see which one (iBook or the RAM) turns up first...

Silencer  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2003, 02:57 AM

I got mine from the apple store in Chatswood Maccentric
They said they had them in stock, but because I wanted the 60gb and 512 ram they have to custom build it and that would take 2 or 3 days.

Because of a promotion in store when you bought an iBook and apple care you got 256 ram for free so I only had to pay the price of 256 to get 640 in total. When I go in im picking up a crumpler bag to carry it to and from school in, office x academic version and an iskin keyboard cover. All i need know is a mouse and keyboard for home use.

StayWhatYouAre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2003, 09:07 AM

Hey guys, picked it up this arvo from my local applestore - plus a base station - ah i'm cord free

Have to say i don't mind the new finish - it's not anywhere near as bright as some pics i've seen make it look.

Still have to max my ram.

And Assassyn, yes my nick is after STD - i hope you've heard 'through being cool' def their best album.

Enjoy your books.

Ads.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by StayWhatYouAre:
Hey guys, picked it up this arvo from my local applestore - plus a base station - ah i'm cord free

Have to say i don't mind the new finish - it's not anywhere near as bright as some pics i've seen make it look.

Still have to max my ram.

And Assassyn, yes my nick is after STD - i hope you've heard 'through being cool' def their best album.

Enjoy your books.

Ads.
Congrats on your new iBook! If you can, post pics for us to see!

And I dig that album as well...such a great band. I saw them last year open for Weezer on tour...wonderful show!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

BigMac2
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 09:51 AM

I've order mine from EMJ a distributor here in Canada for 2165$/can. But I'm still waiting and no clue when I will get it :-(

Silencer  (op)
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 02:27 AM

Dammit the apple center called, its going to be ready tomorrow, but i won't be able to pick it up, so now i have to wait until monday

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 08:35 AM

Argh! Tough news man...another weekend waiting. But here's to hoping you have a great weekend and an even better Monday!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Silencer  (op)
Forum Regular
May 11, 2003, 06:39 AM

Dammit Apple still can't tell me when my iBooks gonna arrive, the computer keeps changing the shipping date to whatever the date is e.g if its the 10th the shipping dates the tenth, then i call again on the 12th and the shipping date is now the 12th, Dammit i'm getting annoyed.

Anyone got theirs yet?

Parrot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2003, 08:24 AM

Yep, I got mine last Wednesday. Delivered to Melbourne, Australia. I ordered it 8 days before that.

It's a 12" iBook 900/60G

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Parrot:
Yep, I got mine last Wednesday. Delivered to Melbourne, Australia. I ordered it 8 days before that.

It's a 12" iBook 900/60G
How are you finding it? Pleased with your purchase?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Parrot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2003, 04:33 PM

The iBook 900's great. Look's much 'whiter' than my old iBook 800 and is about 25% faster and double the HD space. The HD also seem faster.

Silencer  (op)
Forum Regular
May 13, 2003, 04:29 AM

FInally I have it, typing on it now
The screen is great dispite the fact i have one dead pixel, but its only noticeable when the screen is black, then it glows blue.
The left side is warm which is actually quite pleasant.
I can't play the Matrix 2 final trailer (97mb) one which is a dissapointment, ripping music is great up at around 11x.

Basically its great !! and i'm very very happy with it.

Raidiant
Forum Regular
May 13, 2003, 06:36 AM

glad to see that you won't fuss over 1 pixel i've had 200 before and its still bearable, but its fixes now. Mind if you post some pics of the new finish? also you can play the final trailer with IE, it doesn't work properly in safari.

got my 12 inch ibook and still thinks its better then my friends 12 inch PB.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 13, 2003, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by Silencer:
FInally I have it, typing on it now
The screen is great dispite the fact i have one dead pixel, but its only noticeable when the screen is black, then it glows blue.
The left side is warm which is actually quite pleasant.
I can't play the Matrix 2 final trailer (97mb) one which is a dissapointment, ripping music is great up at around 11x.

Basically its great !! and i'm very very happy with it.
CONGRATS!!! And also, try actually saving that trailer file to your HD and playing it using QuickTime, that should work flawlessly.

Hope it continues to impress!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Silencer  (op)
Forum Regular
May 13, 2003, 07:34 AM

Yeah I have saved it to my hard drive but still its stutters like crazy, is this normal????

NosniboR80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2003, 12:03 PM

What are some vendor websites for the US? My friend is buying an iBook soon, and I only know about MacMall from two years ago. Any other decent places?
Semper Fi

nighttraitor
May 13, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Silencer:
Yeah I have saved it to my hard drive but still its stutters like crazy, is this normal????
I've got the 600/384/20gig model and it plays flawlessly. It was out of sync when I first played it, but a stop and play fixed it. I know its not much help, but I would say its not normal.

Silencer  (op)
Forum Regular
May 13, 2003, 05:14 PM

Your talking about the final matrix trailer thats 97 mb or near enough? I have other videos that work fine but the matrix one just wont run, anyone suggest anything?

zepkin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2003, 08:49 PM

I just got a 900 MHz iBook a couple of weeks ago. Love the thing. Add 512 Megs of RAM asap. It makes a HUGE difference! I was ready to sell the thing and get something more powerful. Now that I have added the memory, I hardly can tell a difference between it and my DP867 at work, even when running a dozen or so apps at once..

Regarding the trailer, it was unplayable on my computer with 128 megs of ram. Once I upgraded, it smoothed things out quite a bit. The computer still doesn't have the power to play it smoothly, though. Looks good on my DP867 at work.

Upgrade that RAM. And don't worry about not being able to play the trailer. Nothing wrong with your computer...

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 14, 2003, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by NosniboR80:
What are some vendor websites for the US? My friend is buying an iBook soon, and I only know about MacMall from two years ago. Any other decent places?
Absolutely, this site HERE gives a rundown of US resellers and their current bundles/prices on the iBook and it's updated almost daily so you're sure to find the best deal.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Silencer  (op)
Forum Regular
May 14, 2003, 02:27 AM

My RAM is maxed, ohwell i guess i can live hehe

Forum Links
Forum Rules