Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Third party internal DVD-R/RW

Third party internal DVD-R/RW
goldplata
Sep 4, 2003, 03:49 AM

Hy!
I simply want to ask which is the best internal DVD R-RW drive for a Powermac G4.
I saw that the pioneer is also RW??? Why does the mac superdrive you can build to order doesn�t have RW?
What is important to me is that the drive is absolutely compatibe with the Apple iApps.

And: Some drives have also DWD+R... Is it woth it?
Thanks

bluehz
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2003, 07:34 AM

I just installed a Pioneer DVR-105 in my G4/400 (AGP). Picked it up from deal on DealMac about 3 weeks ago for $150. So far the drive has been fantastic. Works with all media I throw at it. Works with iDVD, DVDSP2, DiskCopy, so far every app I have tried.

edavis
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2003, 02:36 PM

goldplata,

Just to clarify, the SuperDrive will read, write, and erase DVD-RWs. It is not real seamless, however. To write a DVD-RW from iDVD, for instance, you need to start iDVD, put in a DVD-R, start the burn process, eject the DVD-R and substitute a DVD-RW before iDVD actually attempts to burn the project, and away you go. The drive reads the DVD-RW just like a DVD-R.

To erase the DVD-RW, you need to use the Disk Utility to erase the disk. You can then reuse the disk for the next project. (Be careful with the Disk Utility, though. I inadvertantly erased an 80GB external hard drive while attempting to erase a DVD-RW. I'll be much more careful with loaded utilities from now on!)

goldplata  (op)
Sep 5, 2003, 05:07 AM

What about the 106 and the DVD+R Discs??

Is there a difference between Mac and PC drives??
Thank YOU SO MUCH!

Zoom
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2003, 07:12 PM

Not sure what you want to do with these DVDs, but personally I would stay away from DVD+R. It's the least compatible with home decks. Check out this site for tons of applicable info: DVDRhelp.

I had all sorts of trouble putting a Pioneer 105 in my G4. It worked fine with the apps, but I got kernel panics and other bad behavior.

If you want the most compatible drive, get a real Apple Superdrive. You can get a 2x drive for $140 here.

goldplata  (op)
Sep 8, 2003, 03:59 AM

Now I�m a bit confused!
Isn�t the Pioneer the "real" superdrive??
I�m not quite shure now if the original superdrive from apple writes also DVD-RW??
I want it for the Backup�s.
Thank you?

Zoom
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by goldplata:
Now I�m a bit confused!
Isn�t the Pioneer the "real" superdrive??
I�m not quite shure now if the original superdrive from apple writes also DVD-RW??
I want it for the Backup�s.
Thank you?
Trust me, I was confused, too. It must be a firmware difference. I think Apple has custom firmware for their SuperDrives, firmware that I don't think you can get anywhere. (If you find any place, let us know. :-) )

Zoom
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2003, 05:24 PM

As for your intended use, even though you say you're just doing backups, I would still go for DVD-R. Sooner or later, you'll want to try making a DVD copy or something. I would stick to the most compatible technology.

Forum Links
Forum Rules