Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Quiet harddrive?

Quiet harddrive?
NosniboR80
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2005, 04:40 PM

Ok, so I'm making another thread about harddrives. I've done some searching in the forum, but nothing has addressed this question? Which company makes the consistently quietest hard drives?

I'm looking for an 80GB (don't need 100 or 120 - I'm not that storage hungry) and 5400 rpm (not doing video editing or anything crazy intensive). It seems from reviews on newegg that the "clicking noises" from 2.5 drives isn't just coming from Seagate drives. The noise is the most important factor for me.

What's the word on noise in 80GB 5400rpm drives, by brand and/or model?
Semper Fi

NosniboR80  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2005, 06:00 PM

No one has an opinion around here? I find that hard to believe at MacNN.

I'm currently looking at this Samsung Spinpoint M MP0804H 80GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache for $103, partly because it's predecessor was recommended by SilentPCReview.

Of course, it has recommended drives from Toshiba, Hitachi, Samsung, Fujitsu, and Western Digital - most of which are at least a generation old. They also don't resolve for me an important issue - the clicking. I'd rather have a slightly louder drive that NEVER clicks than one that is mostly silent, except for some clicking/clacking/whateveryouwanttocallit. The dull hum is something I've gotten used to, I don't want to learn to get used to a louder more pronounced sound, especially when it is otherwise quiet.
Semper Fi

NosniboR80  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2005, 07:53 PM

Well, despite the fact that no one even ventured an opinion or guess about what would be quiet, I'm going to update y'all (anyone who might be interested in a quiet harddrive).

I definitely cannot compare this to other drives, besides my 4 year old OEM 20GB that I could hear from a room away (even when it was just idle). However, I can say that this thing is QUIET! Aside from the fact that my computer is working and has an 80GB capacity, I would guess that someone just inserted something hard where the HDD used to be. I have to actually place my ear on the palmrest above the HDD to hear anything - an inch away and I can't even hear it, even when it was getting maxed out from transferring the 18GB from the another mac to the new HDD.

This Samsung drive is very quiet and certainly fast enough for me.
Semper Fi

jdogg99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 08:11 PM

I replaced my internal drive with a Fujitsu, which I can't hear unless my ear is touching the palm rest.

Forum Links
Forum Rules