Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > Wanted to Buy: Linux Capable Mac

Wanted to Buy: Linux Capable Mac
HashPipeK
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2002, 02:23 AM

Anyone have a Mac that can run Yellowdog or Mandrake, something easy to install? That they want to dump off cheap? Im a poor ass college student, but i want to get a mac running linux in here along side my other machines

peace
WSUP Program Director and Mac Fanatic

bluehz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2002, 08:12 AM

Don't take this the wrong way - because I can guarantee I am one hard-core MacAddict (ala JUNKIE!!!) I would suggest instead of getting an older Mac to run LInux - pickup a $50 PC out of the classifieds or something.I tried for months to get a descent Linux running on an older PPC with limited success - mostly having to do with peripherals. Then one day I picked up what I like to call my "dumpster PC" - because it goes against my religion to pay even $1 for a PC component. This PC was saved from a neighbors dumpster - so ot was free!!! Nothing special - 100MHz Pentium, with a whopping 24mb of RAM. I dropped in a $10 10/100BT Realtek network card and set about learning more about Linux. I discovered that most people recommended a Linux Distro called Slackware that I had never heard of (I am not very Linux saavy)for small RAM footprint machine. So I downloaded and burned the install ISO of Slackware - and within a couple of hours I was up and running with Slackware - me a complete Slackware newbie. That "dumpster PC" now sits at the head of my internal LAN with several OS X machines inside. It functions as a mail server, DNS caching server, part-time Hotline, FTP, and web server. It just chugs along every day with no complaints. I personally had no need for the X-Windows, GUI, etc stuff so I don't even have a monitor connected to it - instead I control it all via SSH connection from OS X. I am incredibly impressed at how similar teh inner workings of OS X and Linux are - most everything UNIX new that I learn for OS X I can turn around and apply to Linux.

I guess the moral is - you might want to rethink running Linux on an older Mac if you can get a free (or inexpensive) PC.....

Good luck....

ebolla
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2002, 12:24 PM

I second that. I also thought about buying an older Mac to run Linux untill I pulled a 200mhz 96mb PC out of my aunt's dumpster. Why look around and spend money on an old Mac when everyone is thowing out there old PC's?

Secret Vampire
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2002, 07:54 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by ebolla:
<strong>Why look around and spend money on an old Mac when everyone is thowing out there old PC's?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Well, running it on a compact mac would be cool, though for most of them you'd need to hack in a PPC motherboard, or at least a decent 040 one like an LC475
apart from that, I can't see much reason to go mac over PC, unless size is an issue, the LC form factor works great as a small server, but even then you could buy a lunchbox/pizza box Sparc for a similar price, and get many times the performance in an equally small footprint.

anyway, for HashPipeK, avoid NuBus powermacs, that's anything with a model number ending with 100, and avoid all laptops before the PB3400. Also, avoid the 52xx, and everything before the 6360 on principle of them being a dire design. a 6400/6500 should handle Linux well, and they're fairly cheap these days, or you could go with an 030/040 based machine if you want really cheap
Secret

4 Macs, 6 Amigas, 3 SparcStations, an Atari ST, an Acorn, and N+1 PCs.

I'm such a geek.

MacOS761
Senior User
Jul 11, 2002, 09:22 PM

I have an old 7300/200 I was just looking to pawn off. I currently use another one to run my web server with Darwin and Apache - Darwin or Linux run pretty well on these suckers. I'm in the Chicago area, and go to school in Champaign. If you're not in the area, it would probably not be worth it; I'm looking for about $45 plus shipping it anywhere would probably run almost as much I would think. If it interests you though, let me know.
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Woehrle46
Jul 11, 2002, 11:52 PM

I have a imac rev. c running os 9 and Yellow Dog 2.2, both are on seperate 3 gb partitions, i also have a bunch of things attached to it (printer, cd burner, speakers) and those work with linux, i would be willing to sell this but if you want something cheap just go for the old pc.
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

HashPipeK  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2002, 04:04 PM

HEy how much would you want to the imac? price range? just curious

HashPipeK  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2002, 04:07 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by MacOS761:
<strong>I have an old 7300/200 I was just looking to pawn off. I currently use another one to run my web server with Darwin and Apache - Darwin or Linux run pretty well on these suckers. I'm in the Chicago area, and go to school in Champaign. If you're not in the area, it would probably not be worth it; I'm looking for about $45 plus shipping it anywhere would probably run almost as much I would think. If it interests you though, let me know.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Well im from the tri state area, whats the specson that machine

i happen to be rolling thru the chicago area on my way to maine and mac world

MacOS761
Senior User
Jul 15, 2002, 11:10 PM

<a href="http://www.apple-history.com/7300.html" target="_blank">PM 7300</a>/200MHz 604e, 256k external L2
2GB HD/32MB RAM (8 168 pin DIMM slots total)
CD/Floppy/Keyboard/Mouse
Both RJ-45 and AAUI ethernet ports, AAUI to RJ-45 transciever included as well
Software:
Mac OS 9.0.4
PageMaker 6.5
Anarchie 3.7
BBEdit 4.5
other misc. freeware - Darwin 1.4.1 CD if you like

45 buckaroos

I forgot to check the darned board for a couple days there... better to email me if you're interested. Let me know if you have any other questions about the machine.
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Forum Links
Forum Rules