Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro, Paperweight, Can't Install Anything

Macbook Pro, Paperweight, Can't Install Anything
inkhead
Senior User
Mar 20, 2006, 04:20 AM

I wanted a clean install with my macbook pro, so I booted of the (intel) Macbook Pro OS X disc, and formatted with disc utility, but now the Installer says it can't install onto the the disc!! Why not? I've done everything, reformating, erasing zeroing out...

Somebody said maybe it was the partitioning, but I'm formating it clean with no data...

Anyone else have this problem? I hear the macbook pros use a new partition scheme but now my macbook pro is nothing but a giant paperweight

inkhead  (op)
Senior User
Mar 20, 2006, 04:23 AM

It's exactly like this, except it's the only hard disk in my computer the internal sata drive, so what gives? I can't install OS X on my computers hard disk?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303220

except when you boot off the macbook pro disc, THERE is no freaking option to select the partition type
( Last edited by inkhead; Mar 20, 2006 at 04:29 AM. )

Krauti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2006, 07:28 AM

Have you tried actually partitioning? And there really is no option of choosing the file system type in disk utility?

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 20, 2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead
It's exactly like this, except it's the only hard disk in my computer the internal sata drive, so what gives? I can't install OS X on my computers hard disk?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303220

except when you boot off the macbook pro disc, THERE is no freaking option to select the partition type

Inkhead,

I had the same problem until I removed my Corsair Value Ram. That turned out to cause my problem.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 11:04 AM

Don't really understand Inkhead, my MBP came with a fresh install...
Try again, maybe you got a power spike or sunspots or something the first time.
If it booted OK out of the box, that should be repeatable. I havent tried anything with the included disks except to try to load Front Page, which I couldn't find. Then I realized there was another button on the remote and everything worked.

G'Luck

Z

inkhead  (op)
Senior User
Mar 20, 2006, 06:26 PM

I do have corsair ram, however regardless of anything it's absolutely retarted that apple would CLAIM there is an option that randomly HIDES itself or just doesn't exist based on RAM or anything else. It's officially MUCH harder to install OS X than it is to install windows now....

I just kept formating it like 10 times... I'd say about the 35th time... it finally decided that I could now install OS X on the drive.. Must have figured out how to GUID partition the drive.

Apple think things through next time. If I'm using an Intel copy of OS X stuck in a macbook pro your stupid disk utility shouldn't partition IN ANY OTHER FREAKING FORMAT than GUID.. but apparently Apple never tested reinstalling before shipping these computers.

I can't even imagine if this happened to one of the countless "less techie" people in the office who just received their new macbook pros. They would probably kill themselves

yticolev
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2006, 06:56 PM

Less techie people do not do a clean restore when they purchase a machine from any maker. Can't believe you did it 35 times!!! I suspect you will continue to have many problems. I like the bad RAM hypothesis. Why don't you try removing it or at least testing it if your laptop is functioning well enough?

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2006, 07:54 PM

Geez such emotion. Do this:

1. In disk utility, select the hard drive (not the volume underneath it).
2. Select the partition tab.
3. Make one or more partitions you want. For easiest select the 1 partiton from the popup menu by the image.
4. Here is the step that is different for an intel based Mac! Click on the partition options. Instead of the default Apple partition, select the GUID partition option. Click OK.
5. Then click on OK to partition.

You can now install OS X on the disk. I've done this myself, it works.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

cambie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2006, 12:40 PM

First thing I did 2 days ago when I got my macbook pro was pop in the install disc and do a clean install sans 40+ extra languages and crap I don't need. Saved me 10GB of space, by the way. While I understand the Just Works attitude, I also don't believe in wasting all of that valuable space. So, whether I am in windows, linux, or mac, my first thing to do when buying a new computer is format and reinstall.

Anyway, I had absolutely no problem at all. I'm not sure I followed the same procedure as you though. I stuck the disc into the loaded computer, and it said reboot to install. I rebooted, and choose to do a fresh install rather than an upgrade, and it formatted the drive and installed. I had a clean MBP with 85gigs free. Until I restored my ~ folder from backups.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 12:46 PM

I know that, in Windows you can remove components without doing a reinstall. There is also a way to uninstall any crappy 3rd-party apps that the OEM decided to add. Is there a way to do that with a Mac? This seems germane to the discussion.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
I know that, in Windows you can remove components without doing a reinstall. There is also a way to uninstall any crappy 3rd-party apps that the OEM decided to add. Is there a way to do that with a Mac? This seems germane to the discussion.
Yep, OSX has the option too - Drag it to the trash

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
I do have corsair ram, however regardless of anything it's absolutely retarted that apple would CLAIM there is an option that randomly HIDES itself or just doesn't exist based on RAM or anything else. It's officially MUCH harder to install OS X than it is to install windows now....

I just kept formating it like 10 times... I'd say about the 35th time... it finally decided that I could now install OS X on the drive.. Must have figured out how to GUID partition the drive.

Apple think things through next time. If I'm using an Intel copy of OS X stuck in a macbook pro your stupid disk utility shouldn't partition IN ANY OTHER FREAKING FORMAT than GUID.. but apparently Apple never tested reinstalling before shipping these computers.

I can't even imagine if this happened to one of the countless "less techie" people in the office who just received their new macbook pros. They would probably kill themselves
ok let me see if i understand correctly...

you spent at least 2000 on a brand new product and then put $2 ram in it which the manufacturer tells you NOT TO DO, and then you have the balls the blame the manufacturer when the $2 ram they told you not to put in it renders the machine unusable??? are you serious or just retarded??
seriously, its your own fault.

for ANY product you cant do the very thing the maker tells not to do and then complain to the maker about it.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Forum Links
Forum Rules