Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple Addresses MacBook Pro Issues, but not the whine/buzzing

Apple Addresses MacBook Pro Issues, but not the whine/buzzing
mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2006, 09:16 PM

From DailyTech:

Despite its popularity as a "must have" Apple product, the MacBook Pro is encountering a lot of issues. Many users are reporting similar issues to the ones I pointed out. To recap from my blog:

* AirPort does not automatically rejoin a preferred network after waking up from sleep mode. This does not happen with my PowerBook. Settings are the same.
* AirPort would drop down to nearly 1 block randomly once in a while. This also does not happen with my PowerBook.
* At the lowest screen brightness setting (one block), the LCD's backlight flickers noticeably. This is pretty annoying.
* Heat is a big issue. The MacBook Pro gets so hot that I cannot place it on my lap if I'm wearing shorts. And even if I am wearing pants (instead of shorts), it's still very uncomfortable. Using the AC power, the palm rest area becomes very warm, and the area above the F keys is very hot.

<snip>

According to Apple, it has begun replacing the mainboard inside its MacBook Pros with a new revision. It calls the [updated] product "revision D", which is identifiable by product serial number.

* Serial numbers starting with W8611: revision D
* Serial numbers starting with W8610: revision C

Apple said that revision D MacBook Pros have many issues addressed and improvements made, including fixes to the above mentioned issues. We were also able to get a hold of a MacBook Pro that just arrived during the week with a serial number starting with W8612, which did not exhibit any of the above issues. Many users are also reporting that their MacBook Pros become extremely hot to handle, especially in the area above the F keys and underneath the notebook itself. In fact, my MacBook Pro gets so hot that placing it in your hands is almost unbearable, and leaving it on a bare lap is next to impossible. According to Apple, the MacBook Pro should never become hot to the point of being uncomfortable. The representative I spoke to said "that should not happen. If it is, bring back your MacBook Pro and we'll give you an updated version."

Corrections and emphasis mine.

No mention of the whine/buzzing.

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 3, 2006, 10:15 PM

Apple did not address anything. Who is Daily Tech? They are not Apple. This is bogus.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

skyman
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 10:22 PM

My Serial number starts with W8611 and I have all of the above issues. So, as far as I am concerned, it's a bogus story!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

mduell  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2006, 10:40 PM

I've requested closure of this thread since it is a dupe.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2006, 11:06 PM

My MPB starts with W8608. Other than the unit getting a bit warm, possibly "hot", I am not having any of the issues others seem to report. Screen looks great. Superdrive burns CDs/DVDs just fine. No unusual nosies. Airport seems to work as expected.

My only item, besides wondering about the heat issue, that I need to look into is battery life. I normally run my book with bluetooth on (for mouse), screen at brightest setting, and airport on. I seem to be getting about 2 hours or less. Might be normal, I'm just not sure.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2006, 11:21 PM

I have an 8609. I have none of th problems mentioned except I do think it gets unreasonably hot. I have not tested battery life but I believe it is significantly above 2 hours. This really depends on what you are doing. I run MenuMeter and when those CPUs start doing something the heat definitely goes UP which would definitely affect battery life.

cambie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2006, 12:03 AM

I've seen W8613. Hasn't heard the whine yet to my knowledge.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2006, 01:57 AM

As w/ mine, it has fitment issues. They should take a look at their warped plastic rims around the laptop itself.

As for the heat, it's only uncomfortabley hot when it's plugged into the AC on the left side where the AC gets plugged in. Elsewhere is fine.

I find this report to be bogus because not many other Mac sites have caught wind of this, especially MacRumors. But if it is true, it'll be good for me since I have this really nasty fitment issue which warrants my RMA anyways, so i hope i get the new ones?

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2006, 02:41 AM

This network issue is a software issue which was fixed by the update. Heat? Only at the top of the keyboard at the display hinge where the fan outflow is. No display or whine issues other than from other users whining in various forums.

I supposedly have a rev "C". I call bullshit on the story.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2006, 04:03 AM

hmmm i dont know if this story is true but i would love to get a new mpb thats not painfully hot particularly not after 3-4 minutes of use on a lap
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

SLam
Apr 4, 2006, 04:06 AM

I think this is b.s. My serial starts with W8612 and I get the whine and dropped airport after sleep.
MacBook Pro 15" | 2 GB | 100 GB | 10.5.1stevelam.org

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2006, 07:48 AM

Ignore this. It was a post meant for a different thread...

Forum Links
Forum Rules