Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HD spindown spinup spindown spinup...

HD spindown spinup spindown spinup...
bluehz
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2002, 08:19 AM

I know that the whole HD spindown issue has been discussed before with RE: to OS 10.1.x. My issue is a bit unusual in that I have 3 HD mounted in my G4/400 - I continuously hear one of them in particular spindown about every 5 mins and immediately spin back up again. Rather disconcerting - not to mention it can slow things down. Anyone have any ideas what is going on? Note the HD IMMEDIATELY spins back up after spinning down.

Cipher13
Mar 5, 2002, 08:30 AM

Check your energy saver settings... it might be telling the boot drive to spin down after 5 minutes of inactivity or whatever, though it shouldn't ever as long as VM is being utilised...

The OSX Energy Saver is funky. Could be that, or it could be an ATA controller issue...

bluehz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2002, 07:55 AM

The Energy Saver was my first guess. It is actually set on about 30 mins.

Does the Energy Saver only control the startup disk?

BatmanPPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2002, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by bluehz:
<STRONG>I know that the whole HD spindown issue has been discussed before with RE: to OS 10.1.x. My issue is a bit unusual in that I have 3 HD mounted in my G4/400 - I continuously hear one of them in particular spindown about every 5 mins and immediately spin back up again. Rather disconcerting - not to mention it can slow things down. Anyone have any ideas what is going on? Note the HD IMMEDIATELY spins back up after spinning down.</STRONG>
Note that this is probably an indication that the hard drive is about to croak. The ATA controller is getting errors from the hard drive and is resetting. This isnt the definitive answer but that's what I've seen with dying hard drives on some linux boxes.

What model drives do you have?
--
Mohammad A. Haque
http://www.haque.net/
mhaque|haque.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules