Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Neocons for Dean!

Neocons for Dean!
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 05:19 PM

Have you noticed how all the ring-wingers are endorsing Dean for the Democratic nomination? Hmmm...

Bill Kristol here.
So we will have a choice, not an echo. This is perhaps as it should be. In polls, a majority of the Democratic party is anti-Iraq war, anti-Bush Doctrine, and anti-Bush's overall conception of the war on terror. Most of the country, on the other hand, basically supports Bush's foreign policy. That's why the president now runs ahead of his Democratic opponents, and why he must be favored in this election. But if the country is split about 60-40 on the most fundamental choice facing it, and if the bulk of one party is strongly opposed to the policy being promulgated by a president of the other party, the opposition presumably deserves a chance in the presidential election to take its argument to the country. They're going to get it.

And they may persuade some more people. Who knows how the world will look 10 months from now? Who knows what unforeseeable contingencies, capricious events, unpreventable setbacks, or errors in execution by the Bush administration might combine to give greater credence to critics of the Bush foreign policy? In any event, even if things do go reasonably well, it would be a mistake--perhaps a fatal mistake--for the Bush administration, or its supporters, to assume victory in 2004 will be easy.
Andrew Sullivan here.
Dean represents an opportunity for honesty, for relief, for a true cultural clash. At this point, in this divided nation, I think it's riskier to avoid that clash than to give it an opportunity to be explored and democratically decided. That's especially the case after the Dems' excruciating loss last time around. Do I think Dean would be buried in November? Maybe. But maybe not. Bush is vulnerable in many ways; and Dean is a conviction politician. We haven't seen someone with his ideological ferocity since the 1980s. He may command the respect even of those who disagree with him, which is why I think he's smart not to go all apologetic under the friendly fire of the primaries. Nasty will serve him well. Either the Dems nose-dive under his leadership and then reinvent themselves under Hillary; or they revive themselves as a party of the uncompromising left under his leadership. And why the hell not? It's what a lot of people believe in - all across blue America. If John Ashcroft can be attorney-general, representing the extreme fringe of evangelical fervor, why the hell shouldn't a Northeastern, secular, big-government liberal be given a shot at the presidency? If I were a Dem, I'd support him. And feel a lot better for it.
Jonah Goldberg in the Washington Times.
Which brings me to third reason I want him to be nominated: I think he'd lose badly (unless the economy and Iraq tank). And when Dean loses 40 states, I'd like to see him say, "I meant to do that."

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2004, 06:06 PM

I can actually see them doing this. It's good political chess.

Think about it. Of the nine Democratic candidates, there are really only two of them that have any real chance of beating Bush: Dean and Clark. Of those two, Clark has the better chance, because he has better appeal with the moderates. Dean's almost as much of a polarizing factor as Bush is, and so the "divisive" moniker would sting more.

Given that, the neocons want Dean to get the nomination. It's a matter of risk management; Bush has a better chance of beating Dean than he would of beating Clark.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 06:30 PM

Don't forget Peggy Noonan's article about how she wants to like Dean...

Is Sullivan a "neocon" - or should he be called a Log Cabineocon?
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2004, 01:11 PM

Jonah Goldberg has said he's not a neocon. Andrew Sullivan has rejected the neoconservative label too. He prefers "South Park Republican". Peggy Noonan also isn't a neocon.

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2004, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by roger_ramjet:
Jonah Goldberg has said he's not a neocon. Andrew Sullivan has rejected the neoconservative label too. He prefers "South Park Republican". Peggy Noonan also isn't a neocon.
Aha, denial! Typical neocon ploy.

ink
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2004, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Think about it. Of the nine Democratic candidates, there are really only two of them that have any real chance of beating Bush: Dean and Clark
Gephardt? Kerry?

Clark scares me; he looks undead (and no, that's not the only reason he scares me).

The Ayatollah
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Tehran, reprocessing spent fuel rods for my nuclear weapons programme.
Jan 11, 2004, 01:20 AM

Dean has no chance in a real election if the economy continues to improve and Iraq improves (or he starts bringing back larges #s of troops near election time.

Life in a theocracy is all good for nobody.
My mullahs, we da last ones left.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2004, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by ink:
Gephardt? Kerry?

Clark scares me; he looks undead (and no, that's not the only reason he scares me).
Gephardt: Politics as usual. Folks will recognize that.
Kerry: As a Massachusetts native I have this to say: Just say no. PLEASE.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Lerkfish
Jan 12, 2004, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by The Ayatollah:
Dean has no chance in a real election if the economy continues to improve and Iraq improves (or he starts bringing back larges #s of troops near election time.
apparently you've not been reading the papers lately on the economy.

Lerkfish
Jan 12, 2004, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by maxelson:
Gephardt: Politics as usual. Folks will recognize that.
Kerry: As a Massachusetts native I have this to say: Just say no. PLEASE.
OT: hi max! /OT

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2004, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by ink:
Gephardt? Kerry?
Gephardt has different politics from Bush, but his demeanor and skills are remarkably similar. He may command some support from the Anyone-But-Bush crowd, but the parallels are similar enough that they may well turn off voters at the polls.

Kerry doesn't have the voter base at this point. He also lacks the raw charisma of Dean, Bush, and Clark, and that will hurt his chances of broadening his voter base.
Care to elaborate? Clark scares me, but that's mostly as a fan of Babylon 5. I get chills -and not the good kind- thinking of a President Clark in office. That would be true no matter his politics; it's the name that bothers me. Which really isn't very nice, but I can't help it any more than he can help what his name is.

I'm still wary of the current crop of Democrat candidates; all of them are likely to swing the pendulum too far the other way (it will swing -it must- but so far all of them are aiming too far past where it needs to go). Clark seems to be the one most likely to know when enough is enough.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 05:59 PM

Why would anyone vote for Dean? The guys a psychotic bastard. He scares me.... I can just see him using that line he used the other day again, but next time it would be something like, " [insert several country's names here] you sit down! you've had your say now I'm going to have mine! ahahhahaaa".

Of course I'll end up having to vote for him if he's the only one that has a chance of beating bush since its better to exchange one hitler for a better hitler, but either way this is going to be a monkey race.

Why do americans seek out the stupidest, evil-est, insane-est people as their respected role models?

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2004, 06:16 PM

He let the guy lecture him for three minutes, at his own rally, to the boos and hisses of the audience. The guy stopped, Dean started back up, the old prick decided to interrupt him, and Dean wouldn't stand for it. What, you don't want the man to stand up for himself?

Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

BlackGriffen

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
He let the guy lecture him for three minutes, at his own rally, to the boos and hisses of the audience. The guy stopped, Dean started back up, the old prick decided to interrupt him, and Dean wouldn't stand for it. What, you don't want the man to stand up for himself?
Was it even three minutes? You're complaining about this citizen's "lecture" to Dean. Heaven forbid Dean actually listen to someone other than those who already support him. If all you're interested in is preaching to the choir, well, have it your way.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2004, 07:10 PM

Was it even three minutes? You're complaining about this citizen's "lecture" to Dean. Heaven forbid Dean actually listen to someone other than those who already support him. If all you're interested in is preaching to the choir, well, have it your way.
Here is the AP story.
[...]
Dale Ungerer, a retiree from Hawkeye, Iowa, lectured Dean for nearly three minutes near the end of a forum aimed at winning voters for Iowa's Jan. 19 caucuses.
[...]
Ungerer accused Dean and other Democratic presidential hopefuls of dividing the country by bashing Bush instead of outlining their own plans and showing respect for authority.

"Please tone down the garbage, the mean mouthing, the tearing down of your neighbor and being so pompous," Ungerer told the former Vermont governor and Democratic front-runner. "You should help your neighbor and not tear him down."

"George Bush is not my neighbor," Dean replied.

"Yes, he is," Ungerer said, to which Dean responded: "You sit down. You've had your say and now I'm going to have my say."
[...]
Dean let the man have his say. He listened, without interrupting, and when the guy contradicted and probably interrupted him, Dean dressed him down for his rudeness.

What, you'd rather have a candidate who lets people walk all over him?

BlackGriffen

Lerkfish
Jan 13, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by el chupacabra:
Why do americans seek out the stupidest, evil-est, insane-est people as their respected role models?
dunno. *shrugs*

roger_ramjet
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 07:31 PM

Here is the AP story.

Dean let the man have his say. He listened, without interrupting, and when the guy contradicted and probably interrupted him, Dean dressed him down for his rudeness.

What, you'd rather have a candidate who lets people walk all over him?

BlackGriffen
He said, "Yes, he is." That's it. This is being rude? Are you people so insecure that merely contradicting someone is "walking all over him"? Dean started by contradicting the man. So only one side gets to do the contradicting?

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2004, 07:33 PM

He said, "Yes he is." That's it. This is being rude? Are you people so insecure that merely contradicting someone is "walking all over him"? Dean started by contradicting the man. So only one side gets to do the contradicting?
Contradicting isn't the problem. As I said, he probably interrupted him.

The contradiction bit is gravy.

BlackGriffen

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 08:12 PM

I guess Dean should start orchestrating his public appearences and only allow pre-approved "journalists" with pre-approved softball questions into his events like Dubya.

Oh and only have a couple of them a year.

Don't you love American politics? Dean's critics hate him for alledgedly not focusing on issues and engaging in personal attacks.

Let the irony sink in for a minute.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

kindbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2004, 08:29 PM

interesting factoid:

The DNC has always given the nomination to the candidate that raises the most money.

There's your answer to "who's gonna win the Democratic nomination?"

did somebody say Gephardt?
the hillbilly threat is real, y'all.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2004, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by kindbud:
interesting factoid:

The DNC has always given the nomination to the candidate that raises the most money.
Awfully cynical of you...

There's your answer to "who's gonna win the Democratic nomination?"

did somebody say Gephardt?
Last I checked, Geppy was behind both Dean and Clark.

BlackGriffen

kindbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2004, 08:32 PM

Not cynical. Fact.

Keep your eye on the AFL-CIO's wallet.

They love Gephardt.

It's too early to tell who will have the most money.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2004, 08:40 PM

Not cynical. Fact.

Keep your eye on the AFL-CIO's wallet.

They love Gephardt.

It's too early to tell who will have the most money.
The old school industrial unions love the old warhorse. The service union and the government employees union (both huge and politically savvy) have backed Dean. the AFL-CIO as a whole won't be able to make up its mind until Gep or Dean drop.

If Gep loses Iowa, his campaign will die quick. If Gep wins Iowa, it may die slow.

I'm saying you're cynical because of the way you say the DNC chooses the leader, instead of that whole primary and convention thing.

BlackGriffen

kindbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2004, 08:47 PM

I suppose it could also be said that the DNC nominates the 'most popular' candidate - as opposed to the 'most well-financed' candidate. The two are nearly always the same person.

The fact remains that the candidate with the most money at the time of the convention has, historically, ALWAYS recieved the nomination.

Let's see if it still holds true this year.

Lerkfish
Jan 13, 2004, 08:51 PM

I'm saying you're cynical because of the way you say the DNC chooses the leader, instead of that whole primary and convention thing.

BlackGriffen
well...the republicans ARE familiar with elections that are manipulated beyond the reach of the voter.
Perhaps that's the only way they can view elections anymore.

kindbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
well...the republicans ARE familiar with elections that are manipulated beyond the reach of the voter.
Perhaps that's the only way they can view elections anymore.

As opposed to the Democrats who believe that every vote should count. Two or three times. [edit: except overseas active duty armed services personnel]

(that's why the neocons have to 'fix' things sometimes)

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2004, 08:57 PM

The fact remains that the candidate with the most money at the time of the convention has, historically, ALWAYS recieved the nomination.
Wait, you're talking about money at convention time? You do realize that the perception of being a winner (by winning primaries) helps one's fundraising a lot, don't you?

BlackGriffen

kindbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2004, 09:00 PM

Wait, you're talking about money at convention time? You do realize that the perception of being a winner (by winning primaries) helps one's fundraising a lot, don't you?

BlackGriffen
dude.

I don't give a rat's behind who the DNC nominates nor how they do it.

I'm simply telling you a fact that I thought was interesting.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 09:19 PM

dude.

The RNC, OTOH, always grants their nomination to the one who is most Christlike. Or is it the one with the biggest penis? I can't remember.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

pooka
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
The RNC, OTOH, always grants their nomination to the one who is most Christlike. Or is it the one with the biggest penis? I can't remember.
False. I have never received the nomination.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Lerkfish
Jan 14, 2004, 10:06 AM

dude.

*almost hesitates to ask* Exactly how do you think the primary process works?
If I understand you correctly, I think you are mistaken in the mechanics of the process.

kindbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
*almost hesitates to ask* Exactly how do you think the primary process works?
If I understand you correctly, I think you are mistaken in the mechanics of the process.

The 'primary process' doesn't accomplish anything.

The DNC chooses their nominee - the winner isn't based on votes.

Lerkfish
Jan 14, 2004, 12:45 PM

The 'primary process' doesn't accomplish anything.

The DNC chooses their nominee - the winner isn't based on votes.
then why are votes cast?

Forum Links
Forum Rules