Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iMovie crippled by non standards...

iMovie crippled by non standards...
JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2002, 04:15 AM

I must admit that I'm not a very knowledgable person when it comes to video editing but I have a feeling that iMovie in Jag combined with QT6 only supports the Apple standards.
I want to be able to produce standard Mpeg files but this seems to be impossible.
Only the .Mov files are created with acceptable quality but I receive more and more comments from mostly Wintel people who are not able to play back the movies.
I want to make movies without the hassle for other people to install all kinds of plug-ins.
Any suggestions?

Thinine
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2002, 05:45 AM

Umm, as far as I know, iMovie can encode your video in any format QT supports. I have a feeling though, that you Windows using clients don't have QT installed at all so thats why they can't open the file.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2002, 05:50 AM

So you want Apples FREE app to support M$ video 'standards'? Instead of Apple using it to levarage there own Media player, I bet that crappy M$ editor that comes with XP only exports to WMP.

JohnD  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2002, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
So you want Apples FREE app to support M$ video 'standards'? Instead of Apple using it to levarage there own Media player, I bet that crappy M$ editor that comes with XP only exports to WMP.
I don't want to start a Windows bashing thread here.
I just want to make video clips for everyone to see.
If I get a lot of comments that , mainly, Windoes people can't see the movies without downloading QT6 first then I say that it's not a standard.
As far as I'm aware most media player, even crappy ones, can play Mpeg clips but it isn't possible to produce this format out of the box.
There are still a lot of people here using a 56K modem and a QT player download takes a lot of time.
Just like a lot Apple users are bashing the WMV files I can understand that Wintel people don't like QT.
Again, it's not about which is better but which format can be openened by most platforms out of the box so please keep this thread on topic.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2002, 07:23 AM

Try checking the Quicktime 3 compatibility box when you go to export your movie. It will use an older CODEC that WMP ought to play just fine. I got a movie I just made an exported (a 15 second title with some White Stripes playing in the background) to play in both WMP and RealOne using the Quicktime 3 compatibility check. Try it.

Besides that why is installing Quicktime such a pain for your friends? Quicktime is as much of a video standard on the internet as WMV or RM files are. I tend to like Quicktime much better because it has beautiful video at low end broadband bandwidth and runs much smoother on Windows than does RealOne which is a spyware fiend from the depths of hell. Quicktime is much more platform agnostic as QT runs fine on Windows and Mac while WMP barely runs on Mac and RealOne I can't stress enough is a demon from hell. Give the compatibility check a try but don't complain that QT isn't a "standard" or is somehow mistreated on Windows. That is the fault of the people watching your videos, not Apple or Quicktime.

jcarr
Senior User
Sep 16, 2002, 07:43 AM

How are you delivering the clips? If you're giving your clients a CD-ROM, why not include the Mac OS and Windoze QuickTime installers on this disk?

Another option would be to export the files as MPEG-4. QuickTime 6 allows you to export your clips as ISMA compliant video files that any ISMA compliant player with open.

The third option is for you to kick down for a copy of Media Cleaner. Cleaner will batch compress and export your clips in QuickTime, Real or Windows Media. If you're doing this commercially, the cost of Media Cleaner should not be an issue.

If you insist on using free tools, you have to realize that you get what you pay for.
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

symonsl
Sep 16, 2002, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by jcarr:
Another option would be to export the files as MPEG-4. QuickTime 6 allows you to export your clips as ISMA compliant video files that any ISMA compliant player with open.
Has anyone used MP4 and tried it on a windows machine? I cannot seem to get WMP to recognize MP4 compressed files. QT on windows reads them fine.

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 16, 2002, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Graymalkin:

RealOne which is a spyware fiend from the depths of hell.
LOL!

It's funny cause it's true...

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Sep 16, 2002, 11:52 AM

For about $69 Toast Titanium will give you an MPEG VCD export option from iMovie or Quicktime Pro. It's pretty good quality and very very easy.

For free, you can download MediaPipe and/or Missing MPEG Tools (OS X only), but you'll have to encode to an intermediate format from iMovie, and then these tools (while much more powerful) are more complicated
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2002, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by symonsl:
Has anyone used MP4 and tried it on a windows machine? I cannot seem to get WMP to recognize MP4 compressed files.
That's because, if I recall correctly, the standard Windows Media Player install does not *yet* include proper MPEG-4 playback.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

JohnD  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2002, 01:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Graymalkin:
Try checking the Quicktime 3 compatibility box when you go to export your movie. It will use an older CODEC that WMP ought to play just fine. I got a movie I just made an exported (a 15 second title with some White Stripes playing in the background) to play in both WMP and RealOne using the Quicktime 3 compatibility check. Try it.[/QUOTE}

OK, I try.

Besides that why is installing Quicktime such a pain for your friends? Quicktime is as much of a video standard on the internet as WMV or RM files are. I tend to like Quicktime much better because it has beautiful video at low end broadband bandwidth and runs much smoother on Windows than does RealOne which is a spyware fiend from the depths of hell. Quicktime is much more platform agnostic as QT runs fine on Windows and Mac while WMP barely runs on Mac and RealOne I can't stress enough is a demon from hell. Give the compatibility check a try but don't complain that QT isn't a "standard" or is somehow mistreated on Windows. That is the fault of the people watching your videos, not Apple or Quicktime.
I know, you are completely right but I don't want to start a QT crusade just to publish some home made clips to a larger audience.
Like I said, some Wintel people do not want to have anything to do with Apple stuff like some Apple users dislike anything with Bill's name on it but that is not a war I have to fight.
Some people do not want to download the QT installer over a 56K modem, don't know why.
I just want a convenient way to serve more people than I can do with the QT standard format.

I tried with toast 5.1.4 but it seems to have problems with the QT6 (mpeg4?) standard.
I did not try the iMovie VCD export function.

Thanks to all for the comments..

Forum Links
Forum Rules