Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther 7B59

Panther 7B59
cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2003, 11:03 AM

Here we go again...
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

benb
Sep 6, 2003, 11:16 AM

This build is GM.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by benb:
This build is GM.

Did they remove the Debug Code� yet?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2003, 11:32 AM

uuuggghhh....Is it snappier?

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Moose
Senior User
Sep 6, 2003, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by benb:
This build is GM.
Neg.

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by cacarr1:
Here we go again...
As expected! I could tell that time's coming up closer and closer..

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

SYN
Senior User
Sep 6, 2003, 12:45 PM

I know I ask this question for every single build... but do files created in the Terminal appear instantly in the Finder yet, or do you still have to clic on the concerned window/desktop?

Also, anyone know what the field at the bottom of search windows (live search in the window) that says "last sync: unknown" means? IIRC, it appeared in B44...
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2003, 12:46 PM

I'm waiting for "Webscreamer" to post his usual "bug list"....

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2003, 12:50 PM

HAHA!

I am watching US Open ;p I gotta download first... hopefully will get my hands on it soon!
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2003, 01:23 PM

Also, anyone know what the field at the bottom of search windows (live search in the window) that says "last sync: unknown" means? IIRC, it appeared in B44...
My guess would be that the sync has something to do with the synchronisation with iDisk which is supposed to happen when you mirror it on your HD.

aecheylon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2003, 01:27 PM

In OS 9, if you had a document open, and changed the name of the folder that contained it, I seem to recall that the system was "smart" enough to know that its container had "moved". So, when you went to save the file, it didn't get all confused.

In Jaguar, doing the same thing you get an error message that it "cannot be saved" (presumably because the containing folder has "gone missing"). I'm basing this on working with TextEdit, BTW.

Is this something that has been addressed in Panther (or is this somehow related to the "new" way that Apple is doing things vis a vis file extensions and whatnot)? I suspect this might be related to other poster's questions about files created in terminal not appearing instantly on the desktop.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 6, 2003, 02:05 PM

I wonder if the middle widget in the title bars is still screwed up.

SYN
Senior User
Sep 6, 2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by aecheylon:
In OS 9, if you had a document open, and changed the name of the folder that contained it, I seem to recall that the system was "smart" enough to know that its container had "moved". So, when you went to save the file, it didn't get all confused.

In Jaguar, doing the same thing you get an error message that it "cannot be saved" (presumably because the containing folder has "gone missing"). I'm basing this on working with TextEdit, BTW.

Is this something that has been addressed in Panther (or is this somehow related to the "new" way that Apple is doing things vis a vis file extensions and whatnot)? I suspect this might be related to other poster's questions about files created in terminal not appearing instantly on the desktop.
Works fine in B44 (tried both TextEdit and Preview.

Anyone have the seednotes?
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2003, 03:01 PM

ThinkSecret is reporting that with this version you can upgrade previous OS X installations - so you no longer have to keep deleting installations to upgrade.

I guess its getting close to RC time.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
....I guess its getting close to RC time.
Well, Apple themselves said that in the last seed notes for B53....

coconut
Sep 6, 2003, 03:35 PM

Ok, this will go as a really dumb question, but I haven't been following the panther scene lately, and can't find a response to the following question in previous panther threads (maybe it's hidden between the snappiness and "remove the debug code" comments)...

1) If I install B53, can I update it with a more recent copy of Panter Beta ?

2) Will Software Update bring up to date my installation of Panther, e.g. are there any system updates available thru Software Update in the System Preferences (probably not) ?
General Surgery Resident @ Université de Montréal
Former Apple Campus Marketing Rep

Moose
Senior User
Sep 6, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by coconut:
Bad idea.
2) Will Software Update bring up to date my installation of Panther, e.g. are there any system updates available thru Software Update in the System Preferences (probably not) ?
No.

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
ThinkSecret is reporting that with this version you can upgrade previous OS X installations - so you no longer have to keep deleting installations to upgrade.
Hi!

For me this has also worked with previous builds. I accidentally installed 7B49 on the wrong drive and updated my Jaguar system (10.2.6).

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Sep 6, 2003, 09:21 PM

Ok, this will go as a really dumb question, but I haven't been following the panther scene lately, and can't find a response to the following question in previous panther threads (maybe it's hidden between the snappiness and "remove the debug code" comments)...

Why are you even asking this? If you have legal access to Panther then you would know the answer. You could 1) try Software Update and see what happens or 2) read the seed note, which would would answer your question. If you don't have legal access then why do you care? If you're using a pirated version of Panther and you try to use Software Update then you're a moron because Apple could have put something in there to track you without your knowing.

cacarr1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2003, 09:32 PM

Cool new Panther desktop...find it here!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2003, 09:34 PM

Nice!

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2003, 09:51 PM

That's not a desktop that Apple has put into Panther is it? It doesn't look like it's up to Apple quality, the depth is null and the colors aren't vivid.
jesse ;-)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by jessejlt:
That's not a desktop that Apple has put into Panther is it? It doesn't look like it's up to Apple quality, the depth is null and the colors aren't vivid.
jesse ;-)
And how do you view the one Apple included with Jaguar then?

suthercd
Senior User
Sep 6, 2003, 11:03 PM

Geez, that is one weird coblled up image...that is not an apple desktop. Community??? Cumon...at least get the terminology right.

Craig

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2003, 11:57 PM

Maybe the previous poster did not use
Textedit coz if I make a Textedit file and save it in
folder 'test' then add text to the document,
then rename folder 'test' to 'test 1'... I can
not save the document.
( error: folder 'test' is not writable)
If i do the same with Photoshop for instance
I can save just fine, so it seems more a bug
in Textedit then in the OS.

quote:
In OS 9, if you had a document open, and changed the name of the folder that contained
it, I seem to recall that the system was "smart" enough to know that its container had
"moved". So, when you went to save the file, it didn't get all confused.

In Jaguar, doing the same thing you get an error message that it "cannot be saved"
(presumably because the containing folder has "gone missing"). I'm basing this on
working with TextEdit, BTW.

Is this something that has been addressed in Panther (or is this somehow related to the
"new" way that Apple is doing things vis a vis file extensions and whatnot)? I suspect this
might be related to other poster's questions
about files created in terminal not appearing instantly on the desktop.

Works fine in B44 (tried both TextEdit and Preview.

Anyone have the seednotes?
If it ain't broken... Fix it!�

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I wonder if the middle widget in the title bars is still screwed up.

It is not the middle one but the red (close)
one that was screwed up.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2003, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by iFix Rene:
It is not the middle one but the red (close)
one that was screwed up.
They both were...

In Graphite appearance this is the problem:

And in the normal Blue appearance this is the problem:

NOTE: Images above were from 7B53
BTW: When I get 7B59, I will update my bug list and upload.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

coconut
Sep 7, 2003, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
Why are you even asking this? If you have legal access to Panther then you would know the answer. You could 1) try Software Update and see what happens or 2) read the seed note, which would would answer your question. If you don't have legal access then why do you care? If you're using a pirated version of Panther and you try to use Software Update then you're a moron because Apple could have put something in there to track you without your knowing.

Ok... there was no point of attacking me.

If you read my signature, you would have noticed that I'm a Campus Rep for Apple. The Sales Executive for my campus asked me if I was interested in getting access to Panther, because she would actually have to do some paperwork for that to ha ppen. Of course, I haven't read the seed note yet, because I don't have copy in front of me.
General Surgery Resident @ Université de Montréal
Former Apple Campus Marketing Rep

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Sep 7, 2003, 12:54 AM

Ok... there was no point of attacking me.

If you read my signature, you would have noticed that I'm a Campus Rep for Apple. The Sales Executive for my campus asked me if I was interested in getting access to Panther, because she would actually have to do some paperwork for that to ha ppen. Of course, I haven't read the seed note yet, because I don't have copy in front of me.
Like I said to you in private, I'm very sorry for the misunderstanding. I hope the paperwork doesn't take too long to go through.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2003, 12:58 AM

This is because TextEdit is a Cocoa app, and therefore it uses pathnames to refer to files rather than FSRefs. Now, with many Cocoa apps, this is not an issue, since they use NSDocument, which uses FSRefs under the hood. However, TextEdit predates NSDocument, and therefore doesn't use it. The comments in the source code do mention that they plan to eventually move it to using NSDocument, so whenever that happens, if it does happen, TextEdit will track moving files.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2003, 02:07 AM

jesse ;-)
It's better quality than the default jaggy one

calumr
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2003, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
However, TextEdit predates NSDocument, and therefore doesn't use it.
Wow - I can't believe they haven't done this yet. NSDocument has been around for a bit, and it's not like TextEdit is a big application. Not to mention the fact that it is used as sample code, you'd think it would be implemented using the recommended techniques.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2003, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by calumr:
Wow - I can't believe they haven't done this yet. NSDocument has been around for a bit, and it's not like TextEdit is a big application. Not to mention the fact that it is used as sample code, you'd think it would be implemented using the recommended techniques.
TextEdit like many OS X apps (Mail, Process Viewer to name two) started off as a NeXt app. This is probably why it doesn't follow the presently recommended techniques. (I'm not saying that NeXt didn't have NSDocument though...)

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2003, 08:03 AM

Bluetooth Mouse Bezel

Bluetooth Keyboard Bezel

Ajar G5 Door Bezel

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2003, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by bgmccollum:
Bluetooth Mouse Bezel

Bluetooth Keyboard Bezel

Ajar G5 Door Bezel

Are these somehow different in 7B59? I don't see the significance..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Sep 7, 2003, 08:51 AM

some of us have never seen those before... First-time for me.

Curious; I can see when the "Access Door" one would display (obviously) but why would the mouse and/or keyboard bezels display...? Only when initially "detected"...?

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2003, 09:18 AM

jesse ;-)
Agree it's not Apple's, but it's not too bad.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

bastion
Sep 7, 2003, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by LightWaver-67:

Curious; I can see when the "Access Door" one would display (obviously) but why would the mouse and/or keyboard bezels display...? Only when initially "detected"...?
"Connection lost..."
Cheers,
Nick.

ambush
Banned
Sep 7, 2003, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by calumr:
TextEdit is a relatively big app...

cacarr1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Agree it's not Apple's, but it's not too bad.
Just for the record...I think it is Apple's. We'll just have to wait and see though.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2003, 11:47 AM

It's assumed that these show when it detects Apple's new Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2003, 12:12 PM

I believe this build has already been taken off the ADC web-site....hmmm....

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 7, 2003, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Hmm, something wrong with the build?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2003, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
No, it's still there.
Vandelay Industries

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2003, 02:22 PM

Just as you can disconnect a wired mouse
or keyboard you can also disconnect a wireless
mouse or keyboard.
So it comes up on connect and disconnect,
to give feedback as you do not have a phy-
sical plug to give feedback.
( Last edited by iFix Rene; Sep 7, 2003 at 02:43 PM. )

kokosnootje
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2003, 02:40 PM

I see a lot of talk about this release but hardly any feedback from anybody that has this build actualy installed. I'm not a ADC Premier member so I'm waiting for someone who is to give quality feedback about this build.
Please tell us how it compares to the previous ones.
The fact that with each build the sources for non ADC members to download copies seem to dry up are probably a good sign. Real developers are probably able to actualy get work done with these builds and are less interested in spending time to share these builds. But us less devine still want to know what's up. Please tell...

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2003, 02:51 PM

Just for the record...I think it is Apple's. We'll just have to wait and see though.
I for one have not seen it in any 10.3 build

the new 10.2 default was in the DP's from
the start. (for example)

maybe it is in B59 but
it seems a joke/hoax

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by iFix Rene:
I for one have not seen it in any 10.3 build

the new 10.2 default was in the DP's from
the start. (for example)

maybe it is in B59 but
it seems a joke/hoax
It's real. It was added in 7b59.
Vandelay Industries

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2003, 03:52 PM

ah ok

still not wild about it though
the style is very 10.1-ish
(like default pic in 10.1)

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2003, 04:30 PM

jesse ;-)
i kinda like it. it reminds me of some other desktop picture i used to have on my trusty old pismo for quite a long time...
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Forum Links
Forum Rules