Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox and middleclick

Firefox and middleclick
Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2005, 11:08 AM

Hi,

I'm kinda new to Firefox on the Mac. I'm just trying it out to see what's the fuss is all about. Anyways, I simply cannot get Firefox to accept middleclick. In Safari it opens a new tab so does it in OmniWeb5. But in Firefox I cannot get it to work. I have already checked if anything is using the middleclick but there are none.

Please help this newbie in Firefox.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
Hi,

I'm kinda new to Firefox on the Mac. I'm just trying it out to see what's the fuss is all about. Anyways, I simply cannot get Firefox to accept middleclick. In Safari it opens a new tab so does it in OmniWeb5. But in Firefox I cannot get it to work. I have already checked if anything is using the middleclick but there are none.

Please help this newbie in Firefox.
Middle click opens a new tab in safari? I have mine set to expos�'s display all windows...

Dind't know that.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2005, 12:12 PM

If your middle-click button is set to send a Command-click, then Firefox will work as you expect The best part is, this doesn't break the other browsers you mentioned.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2005, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by paully dub:
Middle click opens a new tab in safari? I have mine set to expos�'s display all windows...

Dind't know that.
Well, it does it here. So it should do the same on your machine, I hope.

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2005, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
If your middle-click button is set to send a Command-click, then Firefox will work as you expect The best part is, this doesn't break the other browsers you mentioned.
So you're saying that I should be able to use my middle mouse button to open new tabs in Firefox ? Because that's not the case here. I tried cmd-click and that worked. I see no place where I can alter the mouse preference in Firefox. Maybe I misread your post !?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2005, 12:23 PM

So you're saying that I should be able to use my middle mouse button to open new tabs in Firefox ? Because that's not the case here. I tried cmd-click and that worked. I see no place where I can alter the mouse preference in Firefox. Maybe I misread your post !?
You don't set it in Firefox. What mouse is this that you're using?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Turias
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 12:42 PM

This is a known bug in 1.0, and should be fixed in the latest nightlies.

If you don't want to use a nightly, use USB Overdrive to bind your middle mouse button to command-click in Firefox. Should work like a charm.

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2005, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
You don't set it in Firefox. What mouse is this that you're using?
I use a Logitech MX700 - I have fixed the problem by downloading a nightly build. However I would still like to know where I set the preference

Originally posted by Turias:
This is a known bug in 1.0, and should be fixed in the latest nightlies.

If you don't want to use a nightly, use USB Overdrive to bind your middle mouse button to command-click in Firefox. Should work like a charm.
Thanks for the tip. I use a nightly right now. And it's brilliant.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 02:45 PM

I use a Logitech MX700 - I have fixed the problem by downloading a nightly build. However I would still like to know where I set the preference
Its not in the Preferences dialog box. Its in the "hidden" config panel.
Enter "about:config" as the URL, then scroll down to find "browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick" and set its value to True. That should set Firefox to open new tabs upon a middle mouse button click (aka command-click) like Safari does.

Fonzie  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 24, 2005, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Enter "about:config" as the URL, then scroll down to find "browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick" and set its value to True. That should set Firefox to open new tabs upon a middle mouse button click (aka command-click) like Safari does.
Oh. thanks man. I did not know about that hidden prefs.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 07:45 PM

No, that pref is broken for 1.0. Like someone already said, he has to set it with whatever utility his mouse came with.

lynxalot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 03:00 AM

I'm new to everything MacOSX, and I just downloaded Firefox to check it out. Having gotten pretty used to Safari already, it is aggravating that I can't find a way to synch the tab behavior for both browsers. In Safari, a Command-click opens a link in a new tab behind the current tab, but in Firefox a Command-click opens a link in a new tab with immediate focus (in front of tab with originating link).

Anyone know how?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2005, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by lynxalot:
I'm new to everything MacOSX, and I just downloaded Firefox to check it out. Having gotten pretty used to Safari already, it is aggravating that I can't find a way to synch the tab behavior for both browsers. In Safari, a Command-click opens a link in a new tab behind the current tab, but in Firefox a Command-click opens a link in a new tab with immediate focus (in front of tab with originating link).

Anyone know how?
Did you even look at the Safari "Tab" preferences?

neverwind
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 05:01 AM

Firefox 1.0.1 (released today) does not fix this issue either, worse luck....

lynxalot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2005, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Did you even look at the Safari "Tab" preferences?
Sure did. But I guess I was blinded by my intent to make Firefox behave like Safari, rather than the other way. See it now, though, thanks.

Edit: I see it now in Firefox too. My brain was sure parked last night (spent several hours on income taxes before my post).
( Last edited by lynxalot; Feb 25, 2005 at 04:28 PM. )

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2005, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
No, that pref is broken for 1.0. Like someone already said, he has to set it with whatever utility his mouse came with.
Hmm... OK. I set that preference, set my mouse driver to send a command-click for the wheel button, and tabs appear. Dunno... just works.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2005, 08:47 PM

I've found setting your middle mouse button globally to command-click is a bad option if you use any other programs that use mouse 3 as... well, mouse 3. Command-click is not Mouse 3. Browsers should (and for the most part do, excepting bugs) recognize behavior of mouse 3 as another option for command click and not expect you to reset your global preferences to meet that program's needs.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2005, 11:42 PM

Hmm... OK. I set that preference, set my mouse driver to send a command-click for the wheel button, and tabs appear. Dunno... just works.
Read what you just frickin' wrote. You set your mouse driver to send a command-click for the wheel button. That is what's making it work, not the pref in Firefox.
Originally posted by Turnpike:
I've found setting your middle mouse button globally to command-click is a bad option if you use any other programs that use mouse 3 as... well, mouse 3. Command-click is not Mouse 3. Browsers should (and for the most part do, excepting bugs) recognize behavior of mouse 3 as another option for command click and not expect you to reset your global preferences to meet that program's needs.
Like I said before, middle-click is broken for 1.0 and will be fixed in the next major release (probably 1.1 in March).
Originally posted by lynxalot:
Sure did. But I guess I was blinded by my intent to make Firefox behave like Safari, rather than the other way. See it now, though, thanks.

Edit: I see it now in Firefox too. My brain was sure parked last night (spent several hours on income taxes before my post).
Well then I'm impressed you were coherent enough to post in the first place. Last time I tried to figure out my taxes I had a seizure and blacked out for a couple days (j/k)

Forum Links
Forum Rules