Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Awkward Social Situations

Awkward Social Situations (Page 2)
budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 27, 2005, 10:51 AM

I used to go to class in a robe and slippers... bunny slippers. (Only Economics)
My german instructress got a kick out of it... as did the class I guess.

Oh and a cup of cofee.

Zenbone
Jul 27, 2005, 11:19 AM

I was walking through a semi-dark parking lot on my way to the store, and I saw a woman approaching me in the opposite direction.

I happened to have the hiccups. As we walked by each other, I was yawning and happened to hiccup at the same time.

A very loud, weird noise emitted from my throat. She jumped, I jumped and we continued on our ways.

aka BlueSky

historylme
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 01:25 PM

These are great.

I find it awkward when I see an quaintness and say hello but have nothing else to say after the initial civility... and after 10 minutes of trying to find how we know each other, we say good bye.

bstone
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
I enjoy using the phrase "That said" or I used to until it made me ill....

It's a nice tool to use during conversation so that you can agree with the person you may disagree with in order to apease them initially and then get your oppinion in after without insult.... so they actually feel that you are not totally against them. If one takes the opposite viewpoint, one may alienate someone that one disagrees with on one or two occasions. Why do this? We can usually find common ground, but one has to take the initiative and using the phrase "That said" is an elegant segway into one's own point of view safely.

That said, I need to go tie my shoes.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

milhous  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Warung
Walking towards someone in a long corridor or on the street. Your eyes have met, but you can't really talk, because you are too far apart...It's usually a VERY long and awkward moment.
yep, i'll second that one, especially when you're in the office. that's why you should always have something to fall back on such as having something to read or breaking out the mobile phone to fiddle with it. awkwardness averted.
F = ma

magnitude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by milhous
yep, i'll second that one, especially when you're in the office. that's why you should always have something to fall back on such as having something to read or breaking out the mobile phone to fiddle with it. awkwardness averted.
Have some fun in this situation as well. As you walk down the hallway, stare right at the person the whole way ... most people don't know what do with themselves and look everywhere but right at ya.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2005, 04:30 PM

When Jesus and George Bush... kidding... kidding...

When you completely forget a word, and stumble over trying to figure out what it is.

"You know, that thing on the top of a shirt... it's a circle..."

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 06:23 PM

Farting in an elevator. You think to yourself, heck I'll be long gone before someone gets on, then it stops at the next floor...
Or
Getting on said elevator and having live with someone else's floral bouquet and like before a person gets on thinking its you. You want to scream out it was like that when I got on

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
Farting in an elevator.

LOL i do this on purpose its just that funny
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 06:33 PM

You know what else is a completely awkward social situation... when people start picking apart the way that you talk. I had one friend at school who used to get annoyed that I talk in mainly absolutes and obvious exaggeration. Eventually I just started looking at him like he was an idiot... and the problem fixed itself...
That said... it's to bad you can't look at people like they're idiots online and have them shut up too...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2005, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
You know what else is a completely awkward social situation... when people start picking apart the way that you talk. I had one friend at school who used to get annoyed that I talk in mainly absolutes and obvious exaggeration. Eventually I just started looking at him like he was an idiot... and the problem fixed itself...
That said... it's to bad you can't look at people like they're idiots online and have them shut up too...
If this is intended to make reference to my comment to you, I really was only trying to help.

I'd like to think that you also feel that it is important to reflect your intelligence in your speaking and writing. If not or my post was otherwise unwelcome, I'll shut up and never bother you again.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2005, 06:44 PM

even more awkward than farting and having someone wander in is wandering in when someone farts: what exactly are you meant to do? ignore it? offer a compliment? apologise for interrupting?

sminch

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by sminch
offer a compliment
bingo

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
The end of a date before you have kissed for the first time. Horrid.
When I saw the thread I immediately thought of

On topic: There is no particular situation that is more awkward than the next, but sometimes normal things can feel very awkward when you have a crush on a girl/guy. Strange how that works.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 08:09 PM

Rather salty...in a passive-agressive kind of way. Not exactly a cornucopia of christ-love today, are we?
I, ASIMO.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 08:21 PM

even more awkward than farting and having someone wander in is wandering in when someone farts: what exactly are you meant to do?
You say gesundheit

Off topic

Hey Salty why the Nik change?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 27, 2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
If this is intended to make reference to my comment to you, I really was only trying to help.

I'd like to think that you also feel that it is important to reflect your intelligence in your speaking and writing.

That said, I'll shut up and never bother you again.
Fixed™

alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 09:28 PM

Getting out of an elevator on the wrong floor - and then having to get back in with the people who think you are a moron.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 10:32 PM

I farted when doing the leg press at the gym today... I hate that... it's always the same thing, legs come down, and of course this is right when you're getting the pull, and then one's out before you notice... fortunately most people at the gym wear headphones
It's really awkward when girls mistake me for John Holmes. It's like, c'mon ladies - my dick is only 9 inches and I don't have a mustache. How can girls be so ****ing stupid?

By the way, I can bench 6,000 lbs.

BLOCKINATED!!!1!

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2005, 11:18 PM

i once fart (quiet impressively) right after cumming.

not exactly a social situation, but awkward nonetheless. there was someone else there at the time, btw.

sminch

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 11:30 PM

not exactly a social situation, but awkward nonetheless. there was someone else there at the time, btw.

sminch
Male or female? Most dudes would understand the hilarity. Females, not so much...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2005, 12:12 AM

sminch
What did your Dad say?

(kidding)

deej5871
Senior User
Jul 28, 2005, 01:15 AM

When you're in a public restroom at a urinal...and someone starts talking to you. Someone who you've never met. This has only happened to me after movies and at sporting events; usually something along the lines of "Wow, that was a great movie." or "That was an awesome game." Why do people do this? To these freaks is the silent restroom even more awkward that talking to someone you've never met while you and he are pissing? I don't think I'll ever understand these crazies.

It just occurred to me: this would make an awesome Bud Light Real Men of Genius Commercial.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2005, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
What did your Dad say?

(kidding)
first post in months...LOL

Cipher13
Jul 28, 2005, 01:29 AM

The overuse of "that said" isn't nearly as annoying as all the bloody ellipses.

EDIT: Oops, there was a second page. Didn't notice. Perhaps I should quote something...

lasvegasgamer
Jul 28, 2005, 01:48 AM

I know this is a bit gross, I apologize, but if you've ever been having a sick day and been at somebody's house and they have a low flish toilet...

That's all I need to say.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2005, 02:53 AM

I farted when doing the leg press at the gym today... I hate that... it's always the same thing, legs come down, and of course this is right when you're getting the pull, and then one's out before you notice... fortunately most people at the gym wear headphones
Also, don't do heavy squats when your bowels are full. Or when you have the runs. Very messy. Very embarassing.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2005, 03:04 AM

One time I was mountain-biking in a park in Colorado. I was standing by the side of one the dirt roads that runs through the park, taking a break, drinking some water. Some fat, middle-aged guy in a Geo Metro pulls up, sticks his head out the window and says "Hey, you feel like fooling around for a little bit?"

I said something to the effect of: "Get the hell away from me you freak." And tossed a rock at his car as he drove off. Probably not the most cordial way of handling the situation, but meh, I was 16.

I guess I just look irresistable in bike shorts.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2005, 03:19 AM

Walking out with the zipper down. I know it's good to air the privates out now and then but it can be a bit uncomfortable when you have to zip up in public.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Jul 28, 2005, 03:23 AM

I've always found it awkard whenever the subject of money is brought up. For example, when you owe someone money and they're like, "oh by the way...."

Also, forgetting someone's Birthday when they are expecting you to remember it. I hate that and it always seems to happen.

Noah
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Jul 28, 2005 at 05:36 AM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2005, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by im_noahselby
I've always found it awkard whenever the subject of money is brought up. For example, when you owe someone money and they're like, "oh by the way...."

Also, forgetting someone's Birthday when they are expecting you to remember it. I hate that and it always seems to happen.

Noah
Ya I get bugged for money often, specially when I dont have it or every one wants it at once!

I always forget birthdays which is why I put them in my iPOD

For me I would say people that make me late, trying to explain to the next person the reason im late is because so and so was late for me is hard.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2005, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by milhous
ou say goodbye to someone becuase you think that you won't see them again for the rest of the day (i.e. going home from work) only to run into them again, have some smalltalk and once again say goodbye.
Is this commonly awkward to most people around the world, or more of a cultural thing?

I remember an old French teacher of mine who said that it is common in France for people to greet each other various times in a day. This seemed to imply to me that the mentioned situation would not be socially awkward in France. Any French/Europeans here to collaborate this?

hip(2)b⟡
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2005, 08:53 AM

Hi David!

How HAVE you been?

isao bered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Walking out with the zipper down. I know it's good to air the privates out now and then but it can be a bit uncomfortable when you have to zip up in public.
heh. why zip up? just anchor your right thumb in there and begin strutting like it was intentional. If anyone asks - you saw it on a music video. ;-)

laeth

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 28, 2005, 11:04 AM

Waiting to go into my classroom recently, I saw a woman (around 55 years old or so) leaving another classroom-with a strip of toilet paper hanging from her pants all the way to the floor. I was stunned! I don't know her, but her classmates do-and most of them are female too. I just couldn't believe that NOBODY had told her about that! I was dumbstruck; I couldn't even mention it to MY classmates! Talk about awkward!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 28, 2005, 11:10 AM

Stand straight up, put your hands behind your head, arch your back and stretch... then give out a big aaaahhhhhhhh, anyone feel a draft?

Then casually look down and say, hey! Look at that! Somebody left the barn door open! Nay like a horse and then chuckle to yourself... while you grab the zipper and yank it up without hesitation, and then look at the nearest person in the eyes and then point your finger at them like a gun, make that noise with your cheek and wink.

Carry on.

Nope, never happened to me.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2005, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I just couldn't believe that NOBODY had told her about that! I was dumbstruck; I couldn't even mention it to MY classmates! Talk about awkward!
Well did you tell her?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2005, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by alligator
Getting out of an elevator on the wrong floor - and then having to get back in with the people who think you are a moron.
I've done this but waited for the next elevator, so I don't have to subject myself to that humiliation.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 29, 2005, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
Well did you tell her?
No. I was too stunned. It seemed like everyone who could see her from behind was stunned too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

macroy
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2005, 08:02 AM

Back in college, I had an Acura Integra... one night I stopped in front of a strip mall so my GF can grab some cash at the ATM. I didn't notice at the time... but there was another Integra in front of me. I was looking the other way listening to my music etc... as my GF came back, opened the door and got in....

... But it was't my GF. It was some chic I've never seen. I just looked at her as she started to lean over (maybe to kiss her boyfriend?). The look on her face was pretty priceless. She didn't say a word - no "sorry", no attempt to make a joke out of it.... just opened the door - walked out and got into the Integra in front of me.

My GF comes in right after that "is that an old friend?".

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2005, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by jcadam
I guess I just look irresistable in bike shorts.
Biker Fox ? You here ?

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules