Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > IBook G4 USB WIFI Dongle-Any Plugnplay?

IBook G4 USB WIFI Dongle-Any Plugnplay?
maxhedrum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2009, 08:20 PM

I've got a G4 1.33 iBook with the airport/bluetooth card problem, which leaves me with using a USB dongle to access my Airport Express. So far I've tried 2, the WiBee from TechSunny and the Alfa from Rokland bought on Ebay. After installing the driver(both use the Realtek WLAN Cient Utility) version 1.5.1, it seems to connect to the router OK, but am not able to actually go online. Checking Network Preferences I get a message: "The ethernet adaptor has a self assigned IP address and may be unable to connect to the internet". Any ideas on how to correct this? The iBook is running 10.4.11.

Any suggestions for a plug-and-play adaptor? I will want to access routers other than my own.

Thanks

maxhedrum  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2009, 02:50 PM

How do I move this, or get this moved, to the Networking forum? Thanks

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2009, 05:55 PM

You have somebody click on the "report post" button - or do it yourself.

just did.

Sorry, I can't help you with that, though, and I think it's *extremely* unlikely that you'll ever find a USB solution that doesn't require drivers.

A self-assigned IP generally indicates that DHCP isn't working. HAve you tried manually assigning an IP within your router's range?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2009, 06:41 PM

The following one worked for my old iBook (Dual USB) when the airport antenna broke.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=179211

You still need drivers, in general, the key word here is "ralink drivers".

See this thread for help:

http://forums.macnn.com/92/networkin...-wifi-802-11g/
http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...Macintosh.html

-t

maxhedrum  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2009, 12:56 AM

Thanks for moving the thread.

After trying one of the cheapies, I had a major FUBAR and have finally gotten the rest of my system working again. I'm therefor reluctant to try any more with these units. I usually connect with an all Airport system, which now is OK. I've started learning laptop repair, and it seems that a lot of the G4 iBooks have a fatal flaw regarding the Airport WIFI/Bluetooth card and the only solution is to yank the card. Just wanted an easy way to test the machines with the USB dongle.

It seems that they all use a driver, but there's at least one - the Newertech MaxPower (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer.../MXP802NU2C/)- that sets up via the Mac OS setup assistant. Have one on order, so will see...

Thanks for the input, one and all.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 8, 2009, 12:36 PM

ALL peripherals like this NEED a driver. It's just that some of 'em are close enough to each other that the drivers built into OS X work fine. An added driver is sometimes needed for hardware that isn't close to what the built in drivers will manage. Unfortunately, USB WiFi gadgets seem to be in the group of "not well supported by OS X or manufacturer drivers" hardware.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules