Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sony Optical Disc in '07 20" iMac

Sony Optical Disc in '07 20" iMac
maxhedrum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2010, 11:44 PM

I recently replaced the optical drive in an '07 20" 2GHz iMac running 10.5.8 with a Sony AD-7630A after reading several successful attempts on another site. It plays DVD fine, but has trouble ejecting the disc at times. Some eject OK, some not. At first I could get the discs out by using the various methods found online. The commercial DVD in the drive now resists all attempts. It sound like it's trying to eject, but just sucks the disc back in. Auto play has been shut off in both System Preferences and DVD Player and it's not spinning when trying to manually eject. Thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2010, 01:15 AM

It sounds like there isn't enough clearance to eject the disc properly. Maybe an alignment issue?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

maxhedrum  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2010, 02:53 PM

Most discs pop out no problem, and there doesn't seem to be a consistant pattern regarding the discs themselves. When watching the opening of the drive with the bezel off the computer you can watch the drive try to eject the disc, but then it just cycles without ejecting. A tab of some sort moves to block the disc as it cycles.

I'm going to try an Apple drive in it today to see what happens.

Thanks for the input.

maxhedrum  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2010, 03:07 PM

Well, tried a UJ85C(Apple) and that soved the ejection problem. However...

With the bezel off the computer, it works just fine. With the bezel installed, the disc doesn't insert far enough for the mechanism to grab it and you have to use something to push it home.

So far in my research, it seems that the only drive that will work well is the DVR-K06. As these seem to suffer from a high failure rate I was hoping to find a replacement and there is a surprising lack of information about this.

maxhedrum  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2010, 05:16 PM

It seems that if the machine came with the K06, you're stuck with that as a replacement. If it came with something else, there are other choices for replacement.

Nuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules