Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Unable to revive downloads in Torrent

Unable to revive downloads in Torrent
witulski
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 09:24 AM

I'm new to Torrent, but I can't seem to get any downloads restarted with it. I'm using Tomato and I select "Open Recent" and restart a download, but it just ticks away with a barber-pole progress bar saying "Connecting To Peers". It never connects!

Does this mean nobody's seeding these files right now? Is this pretty common? Seems to me that, of five torrents I had started last night, at least one would be able to continue. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Greg

ambush
Banned
Sep 13, 2004, 09:33 AM

just leave it open..

it does that sometimes... I think the trackers are getting too much requests

-Q-
Sep 13, 2004, 09:35 AM

I've had similar trouble with Tomato Torrent lately. I usually end up using the official client when TT won't work and the download works just fine.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2004, 09:43 AM

IBL, + 1, yada, yada yada

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

witulski  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 09:46 AM

Can I use the official BT client to revive downloads I started on Tomato?

(Now I gotta get a BT version that works on Jaguar)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by witulski:
Can I use the official BT client to revive downloads I started on Tomato?

(Now I gotta get a BT version that works on Jaguar)
They're built from the same core codebase, so theoretically there should be no problem. However, it's not something I've tried before.

Are you behind a NAT, by any chance? (If you use an AirPort Base Station or other router, then you probably are). If so, then you may want to set up port mapping; it may help.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Axel
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
IBL, + 1, yada, yada yada
AFAIK it's not illegal to use a BitTorrent client, and even less so to speak about it on a MacNN forum.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2004, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Axel:
AFAIK it's not illegal to use a BitTorrent client, and even less so to speak about it on a MacNN forum.
Really? -1 and a wishb then.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Axel:
This is correct. There are several popular legitimate uses for BitTorrent. Mozilla, for example, has torrents of its browsers out in the wild. So do many Linux distributions. There are also some legal grey areas, as well as clearly-illegal uses. In and of itself, though, BT is a legal topic for discussion.

It's all in how you intend to use the thing. If the poster had asked, for example, where to get a torrent of the Tiger preview, that would have been illegal.

witulski  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 02:01 PM

I'm not behind a router, yet... when I switched to cable modem I took it out and haven't gotten around to reconfiguring it. Not looking forward to it, really, although recently I wondered if my old port-forwarding settings for DSL might be good enough.

witulski  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 02:04 PM

Off-topic, I used to have like 300 posts or something, then took some time off to live in the real world... for the past three years I haven't been nearly the MacNN addict I had been. But my posts disappeared and now I look like a n00b! What gives? I'm cool! Really I am! I gotz numbaz!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by witulski:
I'm not behind a router, yet... when I switched to cable modem I took it out and haven't gotten around to reconfiguring it. Not looking forward to it, really, although recently I wondered if my old port-forwarding settings for DSL might be good enough.
That depends. If you can make the router assign your machine the same private IP address that it had before (back when you were under DSL) then the settings should work fine. Otherwise, you'll need to map them to your machine's new private IP address, but otherwise they should be OK.

Forum Links
Forum Rules