Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod wish list

iPod wish list
Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2005, 10:41 PM

I have a few particular reasons for not going with an iPod, but now that 60gb units exist that could potentially hold all my music, I'm having a harder time resisting. The high cost of the 60gb iPod Photo helps for now, but one day it will be cheeper. So, I figured I'd start a wish list of things I hope it has. The unfortunate downside to the iPod success is the possibility that competitors may begin leaving the market.

Anyhow, things I like about my current player and wish the iPod had:

Network enabled dock. While the Airport Express is interesting, it just doesn't do it for me for music. I want to be able to select songs at my home entertainment setup. So an iPod dock with ethernet would allow this, while also allowing me just to have a single dock and sync music to it. I personally don't see this one happening though, and should live since I do have a Rio Receiver in the living room now for music (it simply streams via the network, and has the critical screen for selecting music).

Better navigation. When you approach 60 gigs of music, scrolling through a massive list of songs can seem to take forever, even with the speed sensative scroll wheel. Add an option to display the alphabet first before the final selection. It adds a click, but saves on scrolling. Example here, I want to find a song called "Monday". Go to songs, select M, select Monday.

Hierarchal playlists. I have my music organized in a particular way, and a hierarchal layout helps this quite a bit. We saw iPhoto 5 add this, here is to hoping iTunes 5 does the same and expands it to the iPod.

Include the remote again. I think they used to do this on the older iPod. But now I could spend $600 on a 60gb iPod Photo and still have to spend more on a remote. Having one is important to me, as I do listen to music while riding my motorcycle.

Implement Party Shuffle on the iPod. In other world, let me see what songs were playing, what is currently playing, and what is playing next. Also allow me to easially change the running order and save it quicky once done editing.

And for the final wish, car integration. No, not the crappy CD changer emulation, but a head unit I slide the iPod in, then use the head unit to select and play music. The head unit would offer a better in car navagation complete with IR remote with nifty T9 based dearching for music. Even better, it would come with a CD player that could also optionally rip the music for you to the iPod and allow instant playback both in car and on the iPod of any new CD buys. For song titles, make iTunes sync the CDDB database to the iPod as an option.

Anyone have any other wishes they would like to see in the iPod line?
<This space under renovation>

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2005, 11:15 PM

I wish Apple would offer something like an �active lifestyle� (sport, etc) iPod in the Mini enclosure, that used flash memory instead of a harddrive - Perhaps 2gigs of flash would be appropriate. It would have the same clickwheel and user interface that the iPod Mini currently has.

It would also have the following:
� FM tuner (ok, might as well add AM and weather-band too).
� Capability to record, and schedule recording.
� User-replaceable battery.
� Sound input.
� $200 pricetag.

I just hope that Apple does not make it a habit of only offering minimal features.
A process known as distributed computing helped map the human genome.

Now it's being used to find cures for cancer, ALS, alzheimer's and other diseases.

You can help by running a piece of software in the background. It's easy, free, and fun!

hayesk
Jan 16, 2005, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by Forbodium:
I wish Apple would offer something like an �active lifestyle� (sport, etc) iPod in the Mini enclosure, that used flash memory instead of a harddrive - Perhaps 2gigs of flash would be appropriate. It would have the same clickwheel and user interface that the iPod Mini currently has.

It would also have the following:
� FM tuner (ok, might as well add AM and weather-band too).
� Capability to record, and schedule recording.
� User-replaceable battery.
� Sound input.
� $200 pricetag.
2 gigs of flash with all of that for $200. Yeah, and I wish Apple would make a dual-3GHz G5 for $500. That's asking a bit much.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:
... Yeah, and I wish Apple would make a dual-3GHz G5 for $500. That's asking a bit much.

Ohh! Looks like I'll be picking up one of those =P... If you could put it in a mini enclosure too. Somehow bundle in Dual 30inch ACD's with the video card as well.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 02:55 PM

I want an iPod that's a digital photo wallet out of the box. That is, one with CompactFlash and SD/MMC slots so I can take it on trips with a camera and have a place to back up my shots when my card gets full, without having to carry one of those bulky Belkin adapters that requires yet another power source.

If they can't do that, they could at least rejigger the wiring so that someone can make a card reader adapter that a) is only slightly bigger than a CF card, b) connects directly to the dock connector w/o cables, c) is powered by the iPod, d) is fast.

As soon as it comes out, I'll buy the highest-capacity model they make.

xanderwilson
Jan 16, 2005, 04:08 PM

I'd still like a built in voice recorder. italk voice recorder is nice, but it's still an added piece and the quality could be better--which I think might be a limitation on Apple's end.

And, as always, Ogg Vorbis support.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2005, 04:14 PM

I created this image before the iPod mini came out. My thought was "pick your own size" so you could buy this and pick a 128/256/512 and for those who wanted more, they could get the 128 model and upgrade it to a 1GB or 2GB CF card if they wanted.

I'm guessing it would be the size of the mini... maybe a little smaller.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 10:20 PM

equalizer.

and volume buttons. been caught off guard too many times.

hwdor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2005, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:
Better navigation. When you approach 60 gigs of music, scrolling through a massive list of songs can seem to take forever, even with the speed sensative scroll wheel. Add an option to display the alphabet first before the final selection. It adds a click, but saves on scrolling. Example here, I want to find a song called "Monday". Go to songs, select M, select Monday.[/B]
I agree completely with this. I drive a LOT for work and like to listen to my iPod since radio coverage in my territory is sparse (I know - there's always XM...). When I listen I often want a specific song. Navigating to that song can be a royal pain and adding the "Alphabet" layer would save me lots of swerving!

And not just for songs - for artists/albums also.

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2005, 10:59 PM

Yeah, Mitchell! If only a dream could become reality. I am considering buying the Lexar LDP-600 because Apple will not offer a flash-based iPod with a screen and I am digging the added bonus of the SD-card slot it has. I�d like your iPod idea even more.
A process known as distributed computing helped map the human genome.

Now it's being used to find cures for cancer, ALS, alzheimer's and other diseases.

You can help by running a piece of software in the background. It's easy, free, and fun!

Forum Links
Forum Rules