Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Swapping phone SIM cards possible?

Swapping phone SIM cards possible?
willed
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2006, 09:42 AM

I've just switched network from Orange to O2, and the guys from Orange say I can keep my old phone, do whatever I want with it. Lovely. So I try giving it to my sister who's in France, but when I put her SIM card in it says 'insert correct SIM card'. She's with Orange France.
I figured it was something to do with it being a foreign SIM card. However, I tried my new O2 SIM card in the old phone (SE K750i), and it says the same thing. Is that phone now basically dead? Or is there some way to make it work by resetting it or something?

(btw couldn't think where else to put this... settled on Lounge)

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 27, 2006, 09:49 AM

The SIM contains some of the data the system uses to authenticate a phone, but other data, such as the phone's electronic serial number and other important bits comes directly from the phone. So you can put a different SIM in a phone, but unless the system is configured to recognize that combination of phone and SIM, it won't do you any good. I couldn't even transfer my old contact stuff into my new phone by swapping the SIM-I had to get the phone store guy to do the transfer with a SIM-to-SIM transfer box.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2006, 09:53 AM

Some phones are SIM-locked so you can only use SIM-cards from the company you got the phone from. In Germany those are usually the phones you get with a prepaid SIM-card (since you have no contract they force you with the SIM-lock to pay off the phone).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2006, 10:21 AM

You have to "unlock" the phone.

Bastard phone operators have locked it to a specific card using modified firmware.

Google will turn up detailed instructions and software on how to do so (chances are, it will then also be able to do a bunch of things that it couldn't while it was still locked down). Might have to do it from Windows, though.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 10:38 AM

Mobile phone companies here regularly lock phones for their contract time - or on prepaid until x amount of prepaid dollars have been spent.

After this time, you can call them up and request an unlock code - which they will provide for you (for free) to unlock the phone for use on any network.

If it is similar where you live, try calling Orange to request the unlock code.

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2006, 10:44 AM

Cool, thanks for the tips. Looks like I've got an expensive paperweight for the moment.

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2006, 10:49 AM

I just called Orange - I can get the handset unlocked but for a �20 fee ($37)! Cheeky gits.

:Can someone sort out the Pound sign on these forums?:

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant
Mobile phone companies here regularly lock phones for their contract time - or on prepaid until x amount of prepaid dollars have been spent.

After this time, you can call them up and request an unlock code - which they will provide for you (for free) to unlock the phone for use on any network.

If it is similar where you live, try calling Orange to request the unlock code.
I wish they did that in the US. Makes sense that after my 2 year contract is up I should be able to use the phone with someone else. I unlocked both my tmobile and cingular phones here though so I can switch them and use them abroad.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2006, 10:51 AM

I've successfully swapped SIMs before.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

dcp325
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 10:51 AM

I thought that the operator should unlock the phone to be able to use a SIM card from another operator after a while. If I remember correctly they should provide you with details on how to do it after one year (maybe two, not sure) if you ask about it. And it should be free to unlock your phone using their services.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by willed
I just called Orange - I can get the handset unlocked but for a 20 fee ($37)! Cheeky gits.

:Can someone sort out the Pound sign on these forums?:
if you head to a local market or something you can usually get it done for about £8 or do it online -- what brand is the phone?
we don't have time to stop for gas

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Peter
if you head to a local market or something you can usually get it done for about �8 or do it online -- what brand is the phone?
Sony Ericsson K750i

And how come the pound sign worked when you wrote it? Have I got problems this end?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by willed
Sony Ericsson K750i

And how come the pound sign worked when you wrote it? Have I got problems this end?
I think so.
works fine this end: ����

Dont think you can unlock Sony Ericssons online, unfortunatley
we don't have time to stop for gas

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2006, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Peter
I think so.
works fine this end: ����

Dont think you can unlock Sony Ericssons online, unfortunatley
www.seuniverse.com