Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 400 asleep for 30 secs at startup

G4 400 asleep for 30 secs at startup
iain antony
Apr 27, 2000, 11:27 AM

I have the problem of a frozen G4 for around 27/30 seconds as soon as I boot.
Nothing terrible,I know, but annoing. I have been told it might have to do with ROM1.81
Any ideas?
Am I the only one?
I have been told not, but would like to know the problem, if not the solution.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2000, 12:49 PM

do you have an invisible file named AppleShare PDS on your Mac? trash it and the Servers folder in the System Folder and restart

Ed Gallaher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2000, 06:34 PM

I found the invisible file. How do I erase invisible files??

ejg

KyLeW
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2000, 11:05 AM

I have a G4 too. To erace invisibles, here's one way: Open resedit go to get file/ folder info. Find the invible file, click on it and then uncheck the box that says 'invisible'. Then go through the finder to find the file that used to be invisible and throw it in the trash.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2000, 11:41 AM

some are afraid of ResEdit, no need to be

but if you are, there is something that is quite handy for making invisible files/folders visible and it is FREE and a small download (189K or so), click this: Invisible File Copier

its interface is kinda like Greg's Browser or similar app's, very handy

TimothyFrantz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2000, 03:45 PM

Apple has a specific reference to this issue.

Make sure you have selected the startup disk you are starting from using the startup disk control panel. Not doing this apparently can cause a slowdown like you have described.

Good Luck!

bobsie
May 16, 2000, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Ed Gallaher:
I found the invisible file. How do I erase invisible files??

ejg
I just found five AppleShare PDS invisible files with Sherlock on my blue G3. They totalled 1150K. Command-delete took them out. They remained in the window but were dimmed and didn't reappear on another check. I took out some others too that I couldn't relate to. Those that I supposed belonged there I let alone.

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 16, 2000, 06:49 PM

yes i keep forgetting that Apple made it easier to get rid of invisible files, find 'em with seherlock and command delete...

iain antony
May 20, 2000, 01:01 AM

OK, that solved, next one!
The internal modem sometimes (randomly) takes up to 30 seconds to connect and start dialling, and the same to disconnect. Any ideas? Is it ment to do so? I have up to now had external ones, and as soon as you said STOP, it stopped, it didn't tell me it was stopping and then kept me waiting, as it does not allow me to move to other apps.

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2000, 11:23 AM

I always thought that delay with the modem was a result of the computer loading and unloading open transport or something to that effect. When you used your external modem did you use it's own connection software? (i.e. not open transport) One thing that you could try is in the TCP/IP control panel, changing the load option to "always loaded". (It's in a menu I don't remeber which one and I'm not working on a mac right now.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules