Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > WoW looks bad

WoW looks bad
Thumannator
Oct 1, 2007, 08:46 AM

So, after 5-1/2 years, I finally got a new computer, a 24" Alu iMac with the 2.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Radeon X2600. I thought I'd be able to finally play some modern games again, so I grabbed the 10-day trial version of World of Warcraft. So far, I am disappointed; it looks terrible on my computer:

Do I have something set wrong? Or are the graphics like that because I am running the trial version? I guess I heard there are some issues with WoW version 2.20. As it is, at the moment I am nowhere near impressed enough to actually buy it.

Also, somehow my WoW character has gotten stuck looking down, and despite setting my own controls for "pitch up/pitch down," I cannot change my view. Anyone know why?

Thanks.
( Last edited by Thumannator; Oct 5, 2007 at 09:46 PM. )

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2007, 09:38 AM

There's something very wrong there.
I played WoW on my old 15" PowerBook back when the Mac OS Beta was going on and it was fine. If it playe dokay on that computer, it should be more than okay on your new iMac.

As far as where your issue is, I have no idea sorry. Hopefully someone else will be able to help.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 09:38 AM

Looks like it might be a bad install.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 09:42 AM

I've modded my UI but it should look more like these shots; out of combat (above) and in a raid shot (below).

Thumannator  (op)
Oct 1, 2007, 02:52 PM

Hmmm... Well, if it is a bad install, what should I do? The trial version is supposed to be the "full" version, but should I just depart with the $20 and buy the box version? I am reluctant to do that. I'm not even sure if I like enough yet. Isn't there a monthly subscription fee?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2007, 08:54 PM

Delete everything and re-install.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2007, 09:44 PM

Is the iMac fully up to date? Including the iMac software v1.1 update?
Any problems in any other apps/games? Any freeze ups?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Thumannator  (op)
Oct 1, 2007, 10:04 PM

I dumped everything WoW and reinstalled, even some com.blizzard stuff in my prefs folder. Still looks the same.

My iMac is running excellently. No freezes or problems with other apps.

I haven't updated with the iMac 1.1 patch. I keep hearing people are having freezes after installing it... but I have considered that this could be the problem. I might go ahead and install it...

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Thumannator View Post
I haven't updated with the iMac 1.1 patch. I keep hearing people are having freezes after installing it... but I have considered that this could be the problem. I might go ahead and install it...
Well, its up to you of course.. Im on my 2nd alu iMac now. And they both freeze up. I was hesitant to install the 1.1 update on the 2nd one. But after a while, I did it anyway.
Both my iMacs had as many problems before the 1.1 update, as they did after the 1.1 update. So im really not so sure the 1.1 update is to blame for anything here. Apple will usually pull updates if they are known to be bad. But so far, they didn't for this one.

Sorry, I cant help much to fix the problem you have, but I dont believe the 1.1 update is going to make anything worse...
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Thumannator  (op)
Oct 2, 2007, 11:01 PM

So, I got home and installed the iMac Update 1.1 today. WoW looks good now. However, as soon as I started WoW, it self-updated to 2.2.2 before I could actually start playing, so I kind of wonder which update fixed the problem, but I lean towards the iMac update. Thankfully, I have not experienced any of these mysterious freezes so far that so many have described regarding the iMac update.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

newsushi
Oct 3, 2007, 12:09 PM

This was/is a known issue with the ATI drivers in the new aluminum iMacs. It was fixed in a small download pre-1.1, which Apple has since included as part of the 1.1 update. It happened on nearly every aluminum iMac and was fixed approximately 2 days after release.

Forum Links
Forum Rules