Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > crazy hot ufo power adapter

crazy hot ufo power adapter
shyne
Apr 28, 2000, 06:47 PM

so, anyone else having to fear leaving your ibook plugged in when you leave the your home?

i touched it last night, and it (the power adapter) was more than just nominally warm.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2000, 07:42 PM

Mine also gets kinda toasty after either running the iBook off of it for a while or charging the battery.. therefore, it's either a normal thing or just you and me have some serious problems on our hands

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2000, 09:09 PM

hey guys, i just checked my UFO and it is quite unwarm, it felt like it was not on...

it is ALWAYS on and plugged into my iBook whenever it's at home, and that means it has been plugged in continuously for 2-3 days now

bobsie
Apr 29, 2000, 10:09 AM

I'm not really sure, but I think it heats only when it's working. When the battery's charged and the iBook (or Powerbook) is off or sleeping, no heat.

I ran my battery down to nothing last evening and had everything off overnight. Now it's charging and very warm - but not too hot to touch.

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2000, 11:03 AM

Mine gets pretty warm, make sure you leave it in an open area so that it can dump heat adequately, preferably somewhere that has a slight draught (ideal psu for use here in the UK).
My only gripe with it is that the cable frays too easily.
Aaron

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2000, 11:43 AM

hey Z, just where is that fraying occurring, where exactly on the cable?

ok, i left my iBook on all night while powered by the adapter BUT i did not let it sleep and the UFO warmed up a bit but not much

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 04-29-2000).]

bobsie
Apr 29, 2000, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by bobsie:
I'm not really sure, but I think it heats only when it's working. When the battery's charged and the iBook (or Powerbook) is off or sleeping, no heat.

I ran my battery down to nothing last evening and had everything off overnight. Now it's charging and very warm - but not too hot to touch.
Later: just as I supposed, the charger ... UFO ... whatever cooled back down after the battery was fully charged. Not cold, but barely warm.

-- bobsie

ibookmark
Apr 30, 2000, 02:18 PM

I have a thought. Which side is down on the power adapter. I rest the power adapter on the cord leaving the silver disc up. This provides more surface area to disperse heat so it remains relatively cool.

shyne
Apr 30, 2000, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by ibookmark:
I have a thought. Which side is down on the power adapter. I rest the power adapter on the cord leaving the silver disc up. This provides more surface area to disperse heat so it remains relatively cool.
yea, i have mine sitting the same way.
i can confirm bobsie's comment about it cooling down (still warm but not HOT) when the battery is not activley being charged. thanks all, i feel slightly less OCD now.
-shyne

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2000, 03:10 PM

If you check the documentation that came with the iBook, it will show you that it's supposed to rest on the cord with UFO side up... which is obvious because 1.) why would they make the silver so stylish if it was supposed to face down and 2.) the silver side isn't perfectly flat, so the UFO would rock back and forth

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2000, 11:44 AM

My cable got all lumpy and internally twisted within a day's use. My brothers has started fraying where it connects to the PSU. I think it's actually either bad design or construction, the top and bottom halves are too close together, causing too much tension on the cable when you wind/unwind it.
Aaron

rabid
May 4, 2000, 08:03 PM

the plastic coating started coming off my wire about 3 months ago to the point bare wire was exposed from the yoyo part i finaly had to wrap it in once and superglue it into place that is some poor workmanship

virga42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2000, 09:20 AM

I will confirm that my ufo does indeed get quite hot when charging the battery and using the computer at the same time. Often I work on my ibook in bed before going to sleep. At least once my girlfriend has rolled over and had quite a start by hitting the very hot ufo. I have had no problems with my ibook charging and have not had any fraying (not at least yet). Does anybody think Apple will replace the frayed cords if it becomes a problem?

Tom

bobsie
May 5, 2000, 10:25 AM

Girl friend and iBook both in bed at the same time? Which one gets the most attention?

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2000, 02:02 PM

Depends upon what website the iBook's on
Aaron

Forum Links
Forum Rules