Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sleepy boot

Sleepy boot
bobsie
May 13, 2000, 02:58 PM

My Powerbook 2000 nearly always goes to sleep immediately after the initial startup and the pulsing light comes on. Waking it instantly puts it back to sleep. This becomes an endless loop. Once in awhile it does boot correctly, but not for long. I disabled the Energy Saver control panel - no difference.

I read that file sharing can cause boot problems, so I disabled the File Sharing control panel and anything I could find related. Still no good. I did all the usual stuff - rebuilt the desktop, zapped PRAM, Techtool Deluxe (the one issued to Applecare buyers), Norton Disk Doctor. Nothing helped. I did a clean install of a new system folder on another partition. Same result.

I'll add that this suddenly happened after everything had been working well previously. I'm using my G3 to write and send this.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Looks like I'll be talking with Apple, unless some one can tell me how to fix this.

-- bobisie

bobsie  (op)
May 13, 2000, 07:54 PM

While continuing to search out the cause of the above dilemma, I was able to get the Powerbook running long enough to search thru the preferences and take out what I could and still maintain the integrity of the system. I found a folder in the preferences names "File Sharing". Opening it showed these files:

Apple DVD Software PDF
iBook Install CD PDF
Install Software Update PDF
Kai's Power SHOW PDF
Kai's SuperGOO PDF
Norton Utilities CD PDF
Soap 2 PDF
Adobe� Illustrator� PDF
Conflict Catcher� 8 PDF
Sleep Memory Extension PDF
PowerBook Install CD PDF
Update Mac OS 9 PDF
RT2 - Gold PDF

There is no dot before PDF, and Adobe Acrobat won't recognize them. How did they get in that Preferences folder? None were transfered in with File Sharing, though all had been/or are in the Powerbook.

Something's going on here that I need help with. Virus, perhaps?

SurfRat
May 26, 2000, 10:09 PM

Well, this does sound a tad bit confusing to say the least...but you are in a bit of luck.

You say you have a G3, well...you can use your powerbook as an external firewire drive...im not sure the exact directions...but it involves pluging a firewire cable to the two computers...starting up the PB and holding down the "T" key.

Hold it down untill you see a Firewire logo come up on the screen.

After this the PB harddrive should show up as a drive icon on the G3.

Next...I would recomend initializing the PB hard drive with Apple's Drive Setup. Reinstall a fresh OS.

If this doesent work...it would seem to be a definite Hardware Problem.

Sorry if I couldn't be too specific but I have never tried the whole "Firewire Disk Mode" thing. Hope it all works out for you...i know what a bummer a sad Mac is.

Good Luck!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 29, 2000, 12:52 PM

It sounds to me like the sensor in the lid of the PowerBook (the sensor that tells the machine whether the lid is open or closed) is stuck in the "closed" position. That being a hardware problem, I'd take it in to be fixed.

tooki

bobsie  (op)
May 30, 2000, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
It sounds to me like the sensor in the lid of the PowerBook (the sensor that tells the machine whether the lid is open or closed) is stuck in the "closed" position. That being a hardware problem, I'd take it in to be fixed.

tooki
I've been out of town for a few days and was pleasantly surprised to find all these helpful responses. Thanks everyone.

Tooki's response could be the key to my trouble. I hadn't mentioned it, but when I can get the thing to work, just wiggling the lid sometimes does shut it down.

-- bobsie

Forum Links
Forum Rules