Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is the Powerbook a laptop?

Is the Powerbook a laptop?
bobsie
Jun 24, 2000, 02:46 PM

An Apple Tech person in Cupertino told me forcefully that the Powerbook is NOT a laptop. It must NEVER be used in your lap or on any upholstery or blanket. It is always to be used only on a hard flat surface, because the heat goes out the bottom, not the top like the iBook.

What about this? Is this an official Apple statement, or is some tech beating his own drum? Do others use this as a laptop, as I do?

-- bobsie

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2000, 03:50 PM

Heh. This is bull.

True, the heat does go out the bottom (contrary to my belief. I still believe it goes out he keyboard like on Wallstreet models.), But i'm sitting right now with a Pismo in my lap typing this to you, and it's perfectly comfortable.

About the blanket as a surface, that would be obscenely uncomfortable to type on...

The PowerBook is a professional portable. Most people tie that in as being a laptop. Dont think that because one Apple tech says not to use it in your lap that it's not portable.

It may be reccommended to keep it on a hard surface, but this seems like an overzealous tech.

Coyote
Jun 24, 2000, 04:15 PM

Well, I can tell you for sure that the heat doesn't seem to go out the keyboard. The keyboard area, even around the processor, is much cooler than on my 1400, which does use the keyboard as a heat sink. On the other hand, the bottom does get quite hot. When I would run the PB on a blanket or an insulating surface, the fan would come on much more, and it did tend to run hotter. I have it on an inclined platform on my desk now and haven't heard the fan come on once. I suspect that the worries about the fan not coming on, and the complaints that the fan is always on, are probably due to differences in people's work habits.

-Coyote

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2000, 08:15 PM

He's just probably lazy...

I stay up 'til 4 AM often, chatting back and forth via AOL Instant Messenger with someone. I'm under the covers for hours, while my laptop is over the covers. Sure, this isn't great posture, but my laptop hasn't died yet. It gets a little hot, but I rather enjoy that cuddly PowerBook. It's like a heater!

(Laughs out loud )

It's probably an overzealous - or lazy - tech that doesn't want you to break your laptop for either your convenience, or because he just doesn't want to fix it...

bobsie  (op)
Jun 24, 2000, 10:04 PM

I'm sure glad that nobody told me the Powerbook isn't a laptop. I wouldn't have bought it. I like using it while I'm laying on the couch. But it sure keeps my belly warm.

-- bobsie

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2000, 10:21 PM

Well, I think you meant to say...

"I'm sure glad that no one told me the PowerBook isn't a laptop when I bought it."

The Apple person in Cupertino told you the PowerBook wasn't a laptop. Or were you lying?

bobsie  (op)
Jun 24, 2000, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Well, I think you meant to say...

"I'm sure glad that no one told me the PowerBook isn't a laptop when I bought it."

The Apple person in Cupertino told you the PowerBook wasn't a laptop. Or were you lying?
What I said is what I meant to say.
Why are you changing my message and suggesting I might be lying?

-- bobsie

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2000, 10:17 AM

I misunderstood you, I think.

You had contradicting posts. Your first one said that a tech in Cupertino told you that the PowerBook wasn't a laptop.

Then in your next post you said something to the effect of "I'm sure glad no one told me the PowerBook was a laptop." Becase of this, bobsie, I belived that you might be "changing your story" or putting us in a hypothetial situation.

Sorry, "lying" is a poor word choice.

- Sean (who is fighting with this dumb WebTV keyboard while in his cozy bed vacationing in Hong Kong... you really got to beat down on this thing for it to work. Hey... using a really light touch works too... cool! )

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2000, 10:21 AM

I was hypothetically guessing what you were trying to say. I didn't understand how you were told by someone and not told at all.

Oh, never mind...

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2000, 06:44 PM

From the Apple Tech's comments, NO current "laptops" are actually meant to be used as such - ALL of them are little toaster ovens, and need to have air circulating to keep them cooling.

From my comparisons with other current "laptops," my Pismo is more appropriately given this name, since it runs MUCH cooler than competative portables. It's WAY COOLER than previous Wallstreet and Lombard units, and I have no problems using it on my lap on the couch, or in bed, or lying on a pillow on the floor. Pismo IS a laptop!

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2000, 09:29 PM

For all intents and purposes, yes!

bobsie  (op)
Jun 25, 2000, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I misunderstood you, I think.

You had contradicting posts. Your first one said that a tech in Cupertino told you that the PowerBook wasn't a laptop.

Then in your next post you said something to the effect of "I'm sure glad no one told me the PowerBook was a laptop." Becase of this, bobsie, I belived that you might be "changing your story" or putting us in a hypothetial situation. )
Maybe I wasn't clear, but obviously, I had already bought the laptap before the tech told me PB isn't a laptop. I don't see how I "changed my story".

Let's put this whole thing at rest. I think we all agree that PB is indeed a laptop (except that tech guy.

-- bobisie

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2000, 07:09 AM

I thought you didn't put a few words in there, and to make the content correct, I posted an edited version of you post. I, too, believe that we should drop this. The post has played its purpose.

I never thought you were lying. It was a poor word choice. I should have said someing to the effect of this being a hypothetical situation. Poor word choice...

Sorry, no hard feelings, okay?

dionysus_olympus
Jun 26, 2000, 09:48 AM

The PowerBook is indeed a laptop (I have ONE!) but it is a large laptop. However, unlike the Wintel counterparts, it has pinache and style as well as overall performance (although some mags are hesitant to judge the PowerBook so highly). Anyway, the Pismo is a laptop, and one helluva a laptop if I've ever seen one.

Now, in the fall, the iBook SE will join its ranks hopefully...wish me luck!

------------------
Did you have your Mac today?

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2000, 06:21 PM

hi,

is this about powerbook-experiences?

well I was waiting for a chance to express my happiness about it. i LOVE this machine. It is fast, shows off, expandabilty maximum, and can do so many things. this lonely machine in a wintel neighboorhood (dutch ministry of housing) is certainly the top model of the building.
costing a few salaries, it is worth it!

but it gets damn hot.
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

Forum Links
Forum Rules