Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook Replacement keys (Apple's tech support is horrid)

TiBook Replacement keys (Apple's tech support is horrid)
PMG4DP
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2002, 02:10 PM

[rant]OK so, My right option key is broke. It will not stay on at all. I give a ring to apple's tech support, where they inform me that I must pay 50 dollars for the phone call since my warentee is up(It's understandable, their policies, yada yada). So, I pay them the 50 dollars, explain them my problems and only to find out that they must replace the whole Keyboard at MY EXPENSE cause it was my fault( Which it wasn't, My powerbook gets less use then a lawnmower in Afganistan.) So I argue for over an hour, enter a complaint, get my 50 dollars back(thats about the only good news) . The bad news is my key still isn't fixed.

I don't understand it. Why can't apple send me just the option key? and not replace the whole keyboard? If this key costs more then 5 cents it would be expensive. it's friggin rediculous. [/rant]

So, my real question is:
Is there any place online or mail order that I can order replacement keys for the powerbook g4? Digitalhipp keys would have been a good choice, but they don't work with the G4.

thanks

-PMG4DP

UPDATE: Ok, so I found pbparts.com off of google. They sell replacement keys. What is the option key considered? A small, or medium sized key? I'm not really sure. And what are scissors?

here's the link(the keys are at the bottom of the page):

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: PMG4DP ]
Replacement keys

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: PMG4DP ]
"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt." --GWB

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2002, 03:37 AM

The "option" key is considered a small key.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Apr 27, 2002, 12:06 PM

Go to a nearby store that sells Titanium powerbooks, and when nobody's looking, snatch it's option key. Go ahead, you deserve it .

tinrib
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by rampant:
<STRONG>Go to a nearby store that sells Titanium powerbooks, and when nobody's looking, snatch it's option key. Go ahead, you deserve it .</STRONG>
LOL. that's what I would do.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 28, 2002, 02:12 AM

This is aparrently the standard policy with computer makers, although I think that they could be a little more understanding. How much would it cost them to send a key? I had the same problem with my windows machine recently and was told that I would have to pay for a new keyboard to get the key replaced. At least with powerbooks there are places selling parts and they are pretty easy to install. I don't have any choice but to live with it on my PC (I refuse to pay $100+ to replace one stinking key).

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: Icruise ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules