Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Guesstimates on when MBPs will get Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?

Guesstimates on when MBPs will get Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?
willed
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2006, 11:43 AM

I'm seriously considering upgrading to a MBP. My current computer dates to April 2001, so needless to say I'm looking to get something as future-proof as possible. I'm waiting for Leopard to be pre-installed anyway, and was wondering what the status of Blu-Ray optical drives was at the moment; is there a possibility of Apple putting them in MacBook Pros anytime soon?

peppermg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2006, 04:23 PM

I don't see Apple adding Blu-ray drives to MBPs anytime soon. Apple joined the Blu-ray forum back in March 05'ish, so we might see Blu-ray in January but I highly doubt it. Who knows though, I think that to in order to have Blu-ray drives Apple would also have to use HD screens. Who wants to watch a Blu-ray disc on a non-HD screen.
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.33GHz, 2GB, 160GB, Glossy.

and_the_dog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by peppermg View Post
I don't see Apple adding Blu-ray drives to MBPs anytime soon. Apple joined the Blu-ray forum back in March 05'ish, so we might see Blu-ray in January but I highly doubt it. Who knows though, I think that to in order to have Blu-ray drives Apple would also have to use HD screens. Who wants to watch a Blu-ray disc on a non-HD screen.

Ah, but some of us just want the greater archival storage capacity. I don't care about improved video quality above and beyond standard DVD. I would definitely spring for being able to put several 10's of gigs on to a single burnable disk.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2006, 09:55 PM

There aren't any slot-loading BluRay or HD-DVD drives yet, or on the horizon... they're all trays.

k2director
Senior User
Nov 8, 2006, 04:41 AM

I'd say it's at least a year away, more like two or even longer. People are barely buying consumer HD players for their TV set; I think Apple won't consider adding an HD drive to a laptop until one format starts to really gain traction, and there's an audience that can actually play HD disks. That's not going to happen for a while...

Forum Links
Forum Rules