Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > cntl-h to hide background apps

cntl-h to hide background apps
brianniles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2000, 02:08 PM

I used to have a program that allowed me to use ctrl-h to hide the apps in the background, much like the "hide others" in the top right drop down menu.

Any thoughts on how to do this or what program can help me do it? Thanks!

------------------
Brian Wm. Niles
Chief Marketing Officer
TargetX.com Incorporated
Brian Niles
----------
TiBook 550mhz, 512mb RAM, Combo Drive
iMac 400mhz, 320mb RAM, CDROM Drive

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2000, 07:45 PM

Brian,

I know just the thing for you. It's called Quick Hide. I believe I downloaded it from tucows.com

Quick Hide is an extension. It places a dot in the menu next to the finder/switcher thingy. By default, the dot is red, and you see your open applications. When you click the dot, it turns green, and all open application windows close, exposing the finder and any open folders. You'll love it.

Gregg
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

George Orville
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2000, 02:50 AM

Brian, what you are looking for is GoMac or a free standing software from GoMac that will function without GoMac . It is called LiteSwitch and can be located at......
http://www.proteron.com

It will allow you to hide or quit any file or document that is open..It works just fine running OS 8.6

------------------
George
bigbiker

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2000, 09:49 AM

Correction to my post: Quick Hide, as the name suggests, *hides* applications in the background, not closes them, as I wrote.

Did you try it, or is the second suggestion more what you want?

Gregg
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

BenBass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2000, 12:51 PM

I use Program Switcher by Michael Kamprath to switch between programs and hide them as well. You can't set ctrl-h to hide programs, but can set the function keys to do a whole slew of things.

-Ben

Forum Links
Forum Rules