Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My Neighbor Beats The *&^! Out Of His Dog...What To Do?

My Neighbor Beats The *&^! Out Of His Dog...What To Do?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 06:57 PM

Okay, so I hear a blood-curdling scream coming from next door and I go and spy between the fence boards (they're tall - can't look over them) and I see the neighbor beating the living crap out of the dog. This is the second time he's done this in the last two weeks.

I can call the cops but he can deny it. I actually DID call them to ask about secretly filming him and they said that is against the law.

I called Animal Control and they said that unless they personally witness it they cannot do anything until the animal is seriously hurt or dead.

What do any of you suggest?

The dog, by the way, is a boxer.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 07:00 PM

That is so sad

Personally, I'd call him, explain you were startled by a noise and suspected a dog and inquire about it. Be up front if the cops won't do anything.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 07:04 PM

Beat him, then let the dog have it's revenge.

Chris

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 07:11 PM

Even if he did deny it, a visit from the cops asking about his activities might be enough to scare him. Or maybe not... I think people who do **** like that aren't too bright to begin with.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Beat him, then let the dog have it's revenge.

Chris
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 07:17 PM

Well, when I called the cops they said that they could not get involved, to call Animal Control. Animal Control then passes the buck by saying, "Unless the animal is visibly injured or dead and we can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that this person did it, there is nothing we can do, unfortunately."

That's when I had the bright idea of trying to film him and I called the cops about turning over a video of him beating the dog -- and they then warned ME about breaking the law.

I think this is ridiculous. I can't stand living next to that sadistic *sshole and I don't know what I can do to cause him legal problems.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Well, when I called the cops they said that they could not get involved, to call Animal Control. Animal Control then passes the buck by saying, "Unless the animal is visibly injured or dead and we can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that this person did it, there is nothing we can do, unfortunately."

That's when I had the bright idea of trying to film him and I called the cops about turning over a video of him beating the dog -- and they then warned ME about breaking the law.

I think this is ridiculous. I can't stand living next to that sadistic *sshole and I don't know what I can do to cause him legal problems.
unfortunatly theres not much you can do w/o breaking the law. if he beats the dog outside set up a camera like your taping something else(USE YOUR IMAGINATION ON THAT ONE) then you might "by accident" of course catch him in the act. the police can't get you for taping something in your yard and then catching it in the background.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 07:21 PM

Contact PETA or your local animal rights advocacy groups.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 07:22 PM

I can't stand living next to that sadistic *sshole and I don't know what I can do to cause him legal problems.
Does the dog live outside? I live close to Jupiter, wish I could give it a good home...

too many cats here

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 07:27 PM

call in a noise complaint and mention that you can hear screaming coming from next door.

-r.

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2005, 07:46 PM

I would definitely do something about it:

(1) Call the SPCA or PETA or both.

OR

(2) When the owner isn't home accidently pry off one of the fence boards and let the dog find its way into your property ( I would leave food as a hint). Put the fence board back on. Check the dog over and take it to the vets (one associated with animal control/SPCA etc) say that you found it and it appears to be in pain. Hopefully from there things would sort themselves out.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
call in a noise complaint and mention that you can hear screaming coming from next door.

-r.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by kiwibabe:
(2) When the owner isn't home accidently pry off one of the fence boards and let the dog find its way into your property ( I would leave food as a hint). Put the fence board back on. Check the dog over and take it to the vets (one associated with animal control/SPCA etc) say that you found it and it appears to be in pain. Hopefully from there things would sort themselves out.
I wouldn't really recommend this, as it's technically dog-napping, and while the dog needs to be dog-napped, breaking the law isn't the best way to make the cops understand where you're coming from.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 08:57 PM

Letting the dog "escape" is actually a great idea, isn't it?

Because then the dog could be taken to a shelter and someone else could adopt the dog.

BTW, he was using his garden hose on the poor thing.

I'm trying to think of another way to get him into trouble...

Maybe call him into the IRS?

On the other hand, I actually thought of going over there with $500 cash and offering to buy the dog outright and keep it or find a good home for it. Probably finding it another home is the way I'd go since I already have one adopted dog in the home (border collie that we're foster parents to temporarily and may end up keeping.)

Thanks for any ideas, guys.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 09:01 PM

Simply call your local TV station. Their beat reporters eat this stuff up. We have several 'action team' reporters for all of our local TV stations and they cover these stories all the time. They catch the guys on tape, turn it over to authorities. Let the station worry about the legality of taping someone during a crime.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 09:18 PM

That's a great idea! I might try that tomorrow.

Other than that, maybe he'll sell me the dog.

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2005, 09:24 PM

Exactly.

Now I'm not condoning anything illegal. But if you are "fixing the fence" by taking some boards off and do something to them (?) and leave your gate open to the street and the dog walks through your property and onto the street and someone else "finds" him (I dunno maybe a friend) and takes him to the pound mentioning that the dog doesn't look so good that would work I guess.

Because then the dog could be taken to a shelter and someone else could adopt the dog.

On the other hand, I actually thought of going over there with $500 cash and offering to buy the dog outright and keep it or find a good home for it. Probably finding it another home is the way I'd go since I already have one adopted dog in the home (border collie that we're foster parents to temporarily and may end up keeping.)

deej5871
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 09:26 PM

I wouldn't recommend buying the dog from him, because that just encourages the bad behavior. He'll be saying "Ooh, if I beat my dog people will give me money." and then he'll just buy another dog and hit that one too. Why should he stop if he makes a profit off of it?

I'd go with the going to the news thing. Or calling PETA or whatever. Just don't pay the guy.
( Last edited by deej5871; Feb 2, 2005 at 10:53 PM. )

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 10:43 PM

Help the dog "escape"

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2005, 11:05 PM

I actually DID call them to ask about secretly filming him and they said that is against the law.

I called Animal Control and they said that unless they personally witness it they cannot do anything until the animal is seriously hurt or dead.
Wait a minute. How do PI's get footage of folks if it's ilegal? What about reporters? Paparazzi? Did they tell you *which* law you would be breaking so you could check it out?

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
Wait a minute. How do PI's get footage of folks if it's ilegal? What about reporters? Paparazzi? Did they tell you *which* law you would be breaking so you could check it out?
Isn't that "inadmissable"?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2005, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
In general, laws against taping people are based on "reasonable expectation of privacy." Reporters usually aren't very sneaky with their taping and just do it in public. Paparazzi, on the other hand, do sometimes get sued for breaking these laws, but they know their way around the law pretty well. It's a tricky topic that you're probably best off not messing with.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2005, 11:24 PM

find a solution... I personally like the "call the police... noise violation" one...

Or sue the guy... for causing "personal mental anguish" or some other BS.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 11:37 PM

Any vet or shelter you bring him to will think you're the owner and come down on you.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 11:47 PM

I like the news idea the best so far, but I think calling the police the next time you see this (and tell them to come without lights and sirens) would work as well. This behavior just shouldn't be tolerated, but breaking the law from your end is not the answer.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 11:54 PM

Why don't you confront him, and tell him that you saw him beating his dog, and are considering going to the police.

He may not know the laws, and you may scare him. If that doesn't work, then try the TV reporters (before you ruin his life).

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2005, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
In general, laws against taping people are based on "reasonable expectation of privacy." Reporters usually aren't very sneaky with their taping and just do it in public. Paparazzi, on the other hand, do sometimes get sued for breaking these laws, but they know their way around the law pretty well. It's a tricky topic that you're probably best off not messing with.
I thought it might be a 'privacy' thing.. So when he's beating his dog, you yell through the fence "I'm getting you on video mother****er!" and press record.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 12:10 AM

Okay, so I hear a blood-curdling scream coming from next door and I go and spy between the fence boards (they're tall - can't look over them) and I see the neighbor beating the living crap out of the dog. This is the second time he's done this in the last two weeks.

I can call the cops but he can deny it. I actually DID call them to ask about secretly filming him and they said that is against the law.

What do any of you suggest?

The dog, by the way, is a boxer.
Here you go, C...

If you witness animal abuse or neglect, please contact your local humane society, animal shelter, or animal control agency immediately. In most areas, those agencies have the jurisdiction and capability to investigate and resolve these situations. They rely on concerned citizens to be their eyes and ears in the community and to report animal suffering. You can choose to remain anonymous, although giving your name to your humane agency will enable that group to follow up with you when necessary.

You can find the name and number of your local humane society or animal control agency by looking in your phone book's yellow pages under "animal shelter," "humane society," or "animal control," or by calling Information. Often, public animal care and control agencies are also listed under the city or county health department or police department.

You can also find contact information for animal shelters, animal control agencies, and other animal care organizations in your community through web sites like Petfinder.com and Pets911.com.

If there is not a shelter or animal control agency in your community, please report any incident to your police department immediately.

The Humane Society of the United States does not have animal control capabilities; that is a function of local animal control programs. The HSUS is neither legally nor contractually affiliated with�nor is a parent organization for�local humane societies, animal shelters, or animal care and control agencies. In short, The HSUS does not operate or have direct control over any animal shelter.

The HSUS does, however, provide assistance and resources to animal shelters and animal control professionals around the country. We serve as a resource for local animal protection organizations by providing them with educational materials, training opportunities, recommended operations guidelines, and other expertise. And, of course, we conduct large-scale, national investigations covering a host of animal issues.

If you would like more information on animal abuse and what you can do to strengthen animal cruelty laws in your state, please contact us at 2100 L Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20037-1598; 202-452-1100 or check out The HSUS's First Strike campaign.
From the Humane Society of the US.

Nail the bastard to the wall, C, nail him to the wall.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 12:12 AM

...also, you can call your local Vet and report it to them -- and they should be more than happy to help report it properly.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 12:34 AM

Thanks for all of the advice.

I have to tell you something else. About a year ago this guy shot up his house. The SWAT team had to come out. He owns a construction company (a big one) here in the county and he is a hothead with a huge ego. He was having a party and he got upset about something and lost his cool and shot his gun off. It was a huge fiasco.

Now he's going on trial for beating up his girlfriend/mistress here locally. The guy is a huge loser.

But, my point is that I'm afraid of him. I think he's nuts. That's why I don't want to confront him.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 12:58 AM

Then don't risk your butt over a dog.

James L
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
Then don't risk your butt over a dog.

Sad, but sound advice.

As to the P.I. thing, I was an P.I. for years before moving to health care. The bottom line with filming a surveillance subject is to not violate the person's expectation of privacy.

Example 1:

Subject is walking his dog down the street, or playing frisbee with his kid on his front lawn. There is NO expectation of privacy.

Subject is in his backyard, which has a 6 foot fence around it. If you pull a big rock to the fence, you can stand over it and see what is going on. If you climb a tree, you can see what is going on. This would VIOLATE the subject's expectation of privacy.

Example 2:

Subject is standing in his living room. Anyone, walking down the street, can see through 2 large bay windows and clearly make out the subject. There is NOT an expectation of privacy here.

Subject is in his living room, and has the curtains partially closed. He is not visible from the street, but by creeping up to his window and standing on a ledge you can peer in through the crack in the curtains and see the subject. This subject HAS an expectation of privacy.

Note... these are principles and the legal blah blah may differ from place to place.

As to the OP's situation, I would call the cops whenever it happens and say you hear a beating and screaming going on. If they ask later, just say you couldn't hear it clearly and didn't realize it was a dog.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 04:19 AM

If it's important enough to you : beat him up

you'll regret it for the rest of your life if you don't take matters in your own hand.

but as he is going to be trialled for abuse anyway, why bother? who's taking care for the dog when that guy is in prison anyway?
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2005, 06:08 AM

Recording sound from your own yard can't be illegal, right? If you are on your own property and can record what he is doing, at least the audio of it, then you can maybe use that to get authorities involved. I dunno, but recording of a poor dog yelping with a guy yelling should do something.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 09:00 AM

I can't beat him up.

Today I'm going down to the state attorney's office and telling them that he also beats up his dog too.

I think that's the best option.
( Last edited by Cody Dawg; Feb 3, 2005 at 09:13 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2005, 09:30 AM

I'd be very intersted to see how this pans out. A person does an illegal thing on his own property, yet silly privacy laws protect that same person. If the guy grew pot in his backyard, would those same privacy laws prevent someone from taking pictures of the plants? Would people care more if he was beating his own kids?

Privacy laws are good and I agree with them, but not when something as illegal as this is taking place, and more or less out in the open!

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by starman:
I'd be very intersted to see how this pans out. A person does an illegal thing on his own property, yet silly privacy laws protect that same person. If the guy grew pot in his backyard, would those same privacy laws prevent someone from taking pictures of the plants? Would people care more if he was beating his own kids?

Privacy laws are good and I agree with them, but not when something as illegal as this is taking place, and more or less out in the open!

Mike

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 10:54 AM

Yes, we'll see what they say.

Today the dog is outside running around the yard.

Having a section of the fence "suddenly" fall down is very tempting.

Should the fence fall down?

roberto blanco
Senior User
Feb 3, 2005, 10:56 AM

interesting, - i can remember having an argument about this type of thing here at macnn. so much for, - "you have to leave it up to authorities..."!

anyway, i'd probably just tell the guy to stop,- if he doesn't, kick his ass or do whatever you have to do to get the dog out of his immediate "reach".

/and by "whatever you have to do", i mean just that.

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2005, 11:05 AM

Use a thermal imaging device.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 11:11 AM

Well, I'm glad the ex-PI posted with some info about expectation of privacy. I was about to say that you shouldn't just take a cop's word for what the laws are. [Insert disclamer about how not all cops are bad], but often a cop will answer a question with a guess or with what he/she thinks the answer ought to be, and tell you that the law says whatever will back that answer up. And I'm sure lots of cops think they have more important things to do than worry about a dog.

Which is why the person who said to call in about fighting and screaming without mentioning the dog was dead on. I'm sure the cops will not appreciate you telling them when to come (right away) and how (no lights/sirens) for a dog.

In the end, though, I think helping the dog escape is the best, assuming you can do it without arousing too much suspicion. By calling the cops during the next incident, you (a) wait for the dog to get beaten more and (b) get on your possibly-dangerous neighbor's bad side..

All the best,
y.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 11:56 AM

A very sad thing.

Sounds like he has an inferiority complex. His compensation is to attack women and a dog.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 11:57 AM

Good advice.

He is going on trial for beating up his girlfriend. I am thinking of making some great dessert and going over there and offering it to him and saying, "I hope the trial goes well for you. I brought you something. Hey, you have a beautiful home, here. Oh, and what a beautiful dog! Hey, if you're too busy to take care of your dog I would LOVE to take care of him. I've been trying to buy a boxer for a long time..."

Maybe that will work?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2005, 11:59 AM

He is going on trial for beating up his girlfriend. I am thinking of making some great dessert and going over there and offering it to him and saying, "I hope the trial goes well for you. I brought you something. Hey, you have a beautiful home, here. Oh, and what a beautiful dog! Hey, if you're too busy to take care of your dog I would LOVE to take care of him. I've been trying to buy a boxer for a long time..."

Maybe that will work?
You are really a nice person.
The neighbor is a f***head, but you still make him dessert
Can I order dessert, too, or do I have to beat up my wife first

-t

brapper
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
He may not know the laws, and you may scare him. If that doesn't work, then try the TV reporters (before you ruin his life).
**** that. Ruin his life.
Alternatively, fly me down and I'll ruin his life.

Turias
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 12:03 PM

Don't go over there. Don't be nice to him. Do not talk to him. This guy has serious problems and is both violent and abusive. Please don't place yourself in a situation where you could be either his enemy or his friend. I don't think it would be good to be either.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2005, 12:13 PM

It's obvious to me what needs to be done. Wear a mask and gloves and when he's asleep, get inside his house and cripple him for life. When he's unconscious, leave through the back door and free the dog. Go back inside your home and dispose the mask with fire. Now you can pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Don't go over there. Don't be nice to him. Do not talk to him. This guy has serious problems and is both violent and abusive. Please don't place yourself in a situation where you could be either his enemy or his friend. I don't think it would be good to be either.
I agree that situation could turn bad just as quickly. Also since he probably knows where you live I would be careful since you said he had shot up his house. You never know when some of those stray rounds migh end up at your house.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 02:03 PM

I can't beat him up.

Today I'm going down to the state attorney's office and telling them that he also beats up his dog too.

I think that's the best option.
i think this is your best option. but ya what others said just try not to make contact with him he is a violent person and you don't want to be involved in a situation that could put you in harm. i still like the idea of video taping him by not invading his privacy.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
Why don't you confront him, and tell him that you saw him beating his dog, and are considering going to the police.

Then he'll just do it in the basement or somewhere. I think the best solution is to get him busted.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules