Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.0.4 is way to, SLOOOOW!

OS 9.0.4 is way to, SLOOOOW!
roders
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2000, 02:52 PM

Since I've updated from OS 9.0 to 9.0.4 my system seems to have slowed down loads, e.g. windows take ages to close (when double clicked).
I'm not actualy sure if this is all down to OS9.0.4 as I installed Explorer 5 around the same time, which seems to be the least responsive program I own (not for downloading web pages, but for system/interface operations).
I have 30MB allocated to Explorer and 192 MB ram in total so I don't think lack of memory is the problem.
Anyone got any idea's?

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2000, 10:47 PM

Are you using RamDoubler 9? It slows IE down terribly.

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2000, 09:39 AM

No I'm not using Ram doubler (I don't really need it with 192 MB of Physical Ram) I'm running iCab instead of Explrorer 5 (because EX "5" is so un responsive) but I have not uninstalled "EX5" as I use it occasionaly.
It's the unresponsiveness of the OS since upgrading to 9.0.4 that really worries/annoys me, because of thisThe performace hit it seems that the speed of my iMac/OS has gone down a couple of notches.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2000, 10:14 AM

yes many have had your complaint upon upgrading to 9.04 but they have overcome it for the most part, i believe... i have found MacOS 9 to be fast enough, perhaps not quite as fast as 8.6 but very close, and very stable... perhaps more stable than 8.6

there are more than a few posts on this slowness issue here, search the forum

s'il vous pla�t

(my beige G3 466MHz/1M L2 crunches SETI WU's in 5.5 to 6.5 hours using 9.04... fast enuff!)

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2000, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by roders:
No I'm not using Ram doubler (I don't really need it with 192 MB of Physical Ram)
*sigh* Are you using Apple's VM then?

I'm running iCab instead of Explrorer 5 (because EX "5" is so un responsive) but I have not uninstalled "EX5" as I use it occasionaly.
It's the unresponsiveness of the OS since upgrading to 9.0.4 that really worries/annoys me, because of thisThe performace hit it seems that the speed of my iMac/OS has gone down a couple of notches.
I really can't tell you anything as I have no clue what you're running for extensions and control panels. In some instances, I've seen 10% speed hits on Macs just cause some idiot wants to patch the gui with every tool known to man. (speed is what counts, darnit...)

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2000, 02:12 PM

I nearly always leave "VM" on (allocating 1MB to it, total memory 193MB) except for audio editing (using Logic) in the past I have used Kalidescope & Maya and various other screensavers but no longer do so.
I have specific extension sets for different tasks(Audio recording/CD Burning/Games/etc) and each of the set's is optimised, so this is not an extension's related issue.
I'm sure it's something to do with Explorer 5 & OS9.0.4.

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2000, 02:23 PM

I don't think the actual number crunching interface of the OS has slowed down it's the speed of the GUI of the Mac OS which seems to be effected (& I know this is generaly a reflection of system performance in general, but not always).
Also sometimes when I'm in the finder with NO apps running if I open/move a folder/window then the update on screen can be extremly slow and even "blankout" the desktop behind with white patches.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2000, 02:39 PM

Certainlly sounds like a 2D output problem, try reinstalling ATI drivers or whatever drivers for your graphcis card, see if that does the trick.

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2000, 04:45 PM

Does the slowdown happen all the time, or just when Explorer is in the background. Explorer has been known to slow everything down.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2000, 05:52 PM

like seanyepez sez: turn off font smoothing for GUI and graphics performance increase!

and in the name of all things holy, use VM only if you absolutely must!

BUY more physical RAM, you will love it and so will your Mac

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 07-12-2000).]

Cipher13
Jul 14, 2000, 12:18 AM

The thing with the screen redrawing slowly when moving icons and stuff normally means your RAM is full... I certainly get enough of this with a large image on the clipboard, PhotoShop 5 open in Virtual PC (!!) and PhotoShop 3 open on the MacOS side (don't ask...) and AppleWorks open...
Maybe you have a memory leak somewhere. I have noticed recently that at times I am missing up to 66 megs worth. Restart and problem solved.
Another thing the MacOS is crap at is memory management. Better than Windoze at least.

Cipher13

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2000, 01:47 PM

Hi all,

A few more suggestions, as mentioned in other threads here and in the MacFixIt Forums, etc. [although these may be way off base for this particular problem ;-)]...

Video slowdowns & glitches can sometimes be caused by mismatched/corrupted video extensions (ATI, etc.). E.g., for ATI video under the Mac OS 9.0.4 Update, double-check that all ATI extensions have package-version 'Update Mac OS 9' (the first line under the name-box in 'Get Info...'); and, use Apple's free ResEdit ('File | Verify...'), or a more powerful utility, to scan the video extensions for possibly damaged resources. Also, I guess you could try trashing the 'Display Preferences' file (after backing it up first) and rebooting, to see if that helps at all.

Some people also find that certain types of desktop background pictures can lead to slow screen redraws after moving icons, etc., particularly if the picture is a large JPEG or other high-color-depth type that also incorporates compression. Although, I suppose that if this were indeed a contributing factor, it should also have manifested itself under the pre-Update Mac OS 9.0?

Regards, and good luck,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 07-15-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules