Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro and MacBook Memory Questions.

MacBook Pro and MacBook Memory Questions.
zack13532
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2008, 12:20 PM

I recently found out about this limited time offer (9/25): http://shop2.frys.com/product/5503990 . 4GB of RAM for only $35! Seems like a steal to me. Anyways, I checked all the stuff I could to verify that it would be compatible with a MacBook Pro. However, I'm still not COMPLETELY convinced that it's compatible - I don't trust myself. One problem, I don't have a MBP yet, only a MacBook. I'm looking to get one around November or December, but by then (October I'm hearing) Apple is supposedly going to announce new macbooks. Here are my various questions:
-Do you think that the RAM will still be compatible after a MBP update (I realize that there is no way to be sure)?
-Is it compatible with a MBP?
-Can I use it in my MacBook until I purchase a MBP (I know that the motherboard would only recognize 3~3.5 GB, 2GB officially...) ?
-If I can use it in my MB, would it degrade in performance at all if I were to put in my MBP when I get it?
-Piggybacking on the first question: Would the MBP's stock 2GB RAM after the update still be compatible with the MB (To my knowledge, it is right now) ?

Thanks in advance!
EDIT: sorry, forgot to mention that I purchased my MB in december of 2006... so what's the codename for it?

Cold Warrior
Sep 21, 2008, 12:25 PM

Hi. We have a great Mac notebook RAM sticky here: http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...-ram-upgrades/

I've copied your post there and am closing this thread to keep things organized.

Forum Links
Forum Rules