Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > MBP freezing when playing some games on Windows 7

MBP freezing when playing some games on Windows 7
zack13532
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2009, 03:05 PM

I have a 2008 Unibody MacBook Pro (low end; 2.4Ghz etc), with a Boot Camp partition running Windows 7 x64 RC1 fairly well. I'm also using the 3.0 Boot Camp drivers. When I play games like TES3: Morrowind (old and shouldn't be too intensive), my computer gets hot and the fans spin a lot and so on. This isn't too big of an issue, I just attribute it to working extra hard on the game (i tried to ignore it basically). It did, however, occasionally freeze (usually after about 30 minutes of play when it did happen). I recently installed Team Fortress 2 as well, and that freezes (as in entire computer just stops - screen is stuck on an image and audio loops the last bit of sound - and i have to hold down the power button to restart it) constantly. Usually it will freeze within about 20 minutes, but I feel that my computer shouldn't be having this problem because it runs it well when it isn't frozen (50+ fps on medium-high settings). I also make sure to quit a lot of the nonessential processes before I play. Any way I can prevent all this freezing?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 08:42 PM

Disable both Bluetooth and Wireless in your device manager.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Cold Warrior
Sep 15, 2009, 09:18 PM

Does your MBP have a GeForce 8600M GT?

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

Also this member was having gaming problems too, which turned out to be linked to his 8600M. http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternat...tered-playing/

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2009, 09:15 AM

My brother's MBP (same model) was experiencing the same looping audio stuck video problem in Team Fortress 2 after a recent update, but it also would become unstuck after a few seconds. I'll have to ask him if it's still happening.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2009, 12:46 PM

All of my freezing stopped when I disabled Bluetooth and Wireless. However, I have an older model MacBook Pro.

zack13532  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2009, 05:43 PM

Well, I have an 9600M GT (It's a unibody), so I don't think that's the problem... If I were to disable bluetooth, I wouldn't be able to use my bluetooth mouse to play games (the new trackpad has significant issues with windows) and if I were to disable wireless, I wouldn't be able to play (or test) Team Fortress 2. Could I possible get a different driver or rollback my driver?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2009, 08:41 PM

My brother said his problem with TF2 was fixed with a subsequent update.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2009, 04:31 PM

I have that exact problem on an identical machine, and came up with a solution. Simply put: my laptop was overheating. If I play with my laptop lying flat on a surface, it's guaranteed to lock up within a half hour. But if I elevate it an inch or two off the tabletop, I can play for hours without an issue. The 9600M in that laptop runs incredibly hot under load, even hotter than the original MBPs. I can't promise that this is the problem you're having, but it's worth checking out. Does your laptop have good circulation while you're playing? Try keeping it off the desk/table you're playing on, and let us know how it goes.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

zack13532  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2009, 10:09 AM

Well, it does seem to get pretty hot when I play, but I was never sure whether it was significant enough to causes freezes. I might as well try that elevation trick, but I still need to figure what I can use to raise it up... Thanks in the mean time.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2009, 12:38 PM

I've found that Boot Camp doesn't install the latest drivers for my video card. You could make sure your video card drivers are all the way updated. That might solve some overheating issues.

zack13532  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2009, 03:25 PM

It doesn't seem to be related to heat. I had it elevated with a fan blowing on it as well (blowing the excess heat away). When it froze, the computer didn't seem all that hot. I think it has something to do with the PCI Latency of the chipset. Does anyone know how I can edit that (to reduce it).

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2009, 03:45 PM

Making sure your drivers are updated may also solve timing issues.

zack13532  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2009, 03:53 PM

Well, I have determined with near certainty that the problem is caused by my sound card drivers. I was able to play for a long period of time without any freezes (at a pretty high framerate too!) when I launched my game with a -nosound option (disables audio output for valve games...). Only problem is, I, uh, sorta want sound, so how can I get a working version of these drivers? No matter what I try (besides disabling sound altogether), it still eventually freezes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules