Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > ATA card recomendation

ATA card recomendation
RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Jul 11, 2002, 06:47 PM

I'm considering getting a ATA card to replace my SCSI drives in my PC150.

First I'm wondering if I can boot off the drives on the ATA card.

If so what do you all recommend?
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2002, 06:30 AM

Hi!
I don't have any personal experience, but I have also looked around a bit, and it seems that all Acard models supporting at least ATA/66 are bootable and work with MacOS X. Same goes for the Sonnet Tempo (which is in fact an Acard model, too). Then there's the VST Ultratek ATA/66 which becomes OS X compatible with a 10$ shareware update, but I don't know whether it is bootable.

Paul S
Senior User
Jul 12, 2002, 11:44 AM

My Sonnet Tempo has been working great in OS X.

CIA
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2002, 04:44 PM

I take it you are not running OSX on a PowerCenter 150, are you running 9 or 8?
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

RoofusPennymore  (op)
Senior User
Jul 12, 2002, 05:52 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by CIA:
<strong>I take it you are not running OSX on a PowerCenter 150, are you running 9 or 8?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Right now running OS9. Plan to run X as soon as it works.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

robot prom
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2002, 02:37 PM

I have an Acard ata/100 card, it works with OS X and 9 seemlessly. The only caveat: it doesn't like some older drives, but I connect those to the built in bus.

robot prom
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2002, 02:41 PM

DP

<small>[ 07-15-2002, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: robot prom ]</small>

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2002, 06:42 PM

Double post... hmm...
Well, anyway, if a SCSI card should work, then yeah, an ATA one should too.

indigo
Jul 16, 2002, 02:26 PM

I've used both the Acard ATA card and the VST Ultratek 66 PCI ATA card. I originally purchased the Ultratek ATA card for my rev. 1 B&W G3. The card worked great; I was really happy with it. I was able to boot from it with no problems. You can find more information about it from the Smartdisk page <a href="http://store.yahoo.com/smartdiskstore/ulataraidcar.html" target="_blank">here</a>. The card supports RAID level 0 and 1 and ATA/33 and ATA/66 drives.

For a long time, the Ultratek card was not supported under OS X (Other World computing recently released <a href="http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=2909&Item=VSTATARAID" target="_blank">OS X software</a> for the card), so I purchased an ATA/133 card from <a href="http://www.acard.com/eng/" target="_blank">Acard</a>. I've been very pleased with this card. Haven't had a single problem. Booting works fine and speeds are good.

If you are interested, I'm selling my VST Ultratek card. As I said above, I bought it back in the days of OS 9. It wasn't originally supported under X, so I bought the Acard. OWC now provides drivers for the Ultratek, so it works under 9 and X. I have no need for two ATA cards. OWC sells the card for $48, so I'd be happy with $30. Let me know if you are interested.

Forum Links
Forum Rules