Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Bluetooth Adapter?

Bluetooth Adapter?
Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2008, 01:06 AM

I'm going to purchase a Canon MX850 shortly and would like to use it wirelessly.

Does anyone have any experience with the Bluetooth Adapters that are available and claim to work with most devices?

Thanks,

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2008, 03:49 AM

Yes. I have a USB BELKIN F8T003 ver.2 adapter which work with 10.5.2 and my BlackBerry Pearl flawlessly.

this one,

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2008, 10:02 PM

I have a D-Link on my Mac Pro. Works fine.
My wife has this one on her G5 - its super tiny and also works perfectly. Its so small, it fits in the USB port of her aluminum keyboard and is completely invisible. Bluetooth® USB Micro Adapter

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 13, 2008, 12:58 AM

I have a D-Link too, the one Apple recommended for a while, don't know if they've loosened things up to allow more adapters to function fully.

A couple of years ago I went through three adapters (finally settling on the D-Link) before I found one that would allow headset use during an iChat video chat.
ice

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2008, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
My wife has this one on her G5 - its super tiny and also works perfectly. Its so small, it fits in the USB port of her aluminum keyboard and is completely invisible. Bluetooth® USB Micro Adapter
That's awesome, it's smaller than the cap from the Belkin I have… 

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2008, 01:39 AM

Just to be clear, my computer a new Mac Mini, is already bluetooth ready. The Canon Mx850 is not bluetooth ready. Will the bluetooth adapter work by plugging it into the printer?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2008, 09:01 AM

Oh sorry, I couldn't even give it a try, my Mac isn't BT ready so I use the Belkin adaptor but only aimed to the BlackBerry, my Canon MP530 isn't BT ready either and it doesn't come with a 'standard' USB port but one of those square mini USB ports.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 14, 2008, 04:16 PM

I expect it won't work unless the printer specs say otherwise. USB isn't a peer network, where each device can speak up. USB is a host-controlled bus, where devices only speak on command from the host.

You could plug the bluetooth adapter in, via a B -> A adapter if needed. But unless one of the devices is designed to become the host as needed, both will sit there waiting for the missing bus host to notice them.

A cheap BT adapter won't have all the extra code to become a host, so the only chance is if the printer is designed to do that. It might be, in order to read out camera memory via USB. Which doesn't mean it has general USB drivers for other devices, the way a computer has.

Download the printer manual and see if it supports a BT adapter via USB.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 15, 2008, 04:40 AM

Yeah, if the printer doesn't advertise having bluetooth capabilities, then plugging it's USB port with a bluetooth adapter won't make it communicate with your computer.

Since you haven't purchased the printer yet(as of your OP), why not shop for one that is designed to print wirelessly?

orr.. what is this?

0689B002 Canon BU-20 Bluetooth Adapter for the PIXMA Photo All-In-One Printers.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules