Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Getting a Mac classic on the Internet

Getting a Mac classic on the Internet
roders
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2000, 03:19 PM

I'm trying to help my father get his Mac classic (black & white screen) on the net (Finder No B1 6.1.7 & System Version B1 6.0.7) does anyone know what hardware (modem, ADB?) & software (browser, email client, internet connection software etc) I will need & where I can get it, or if this is actualy possible?

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2000, 03:24 PM

You would have to upgrade the System to at least 7.0, but probably 7.1.

System 7.5 would make it easier yet, but would require a memory upgrade quite likely.

Both of these systems are available free for download from Apple.

You need to be able to run MacTCP which isn't always easy to get these days. FreePPP (www.rockstar.com) will probably work for the dialer portion. Any standard modem will work, but a 56k modem will probably be overkill as the older serial ports cannot support the full bandwidth of one.

An old version of Eudora would do well for e-mail. I have personally run Netscape 2.02 on an SE/30 which was running 7.5.1.

After all of that hassle, you will still only have a tiny window into the Internet with browsing being very squeezed.

Refurbished and used iMacs or other older Macs might be a better fit if any browsing is going to be done. If it is just e-mail, then it might be worth it...

drewman

[This message has been edited by drewman (edited 11-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by drewman (edited 11-12-2000).]

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2000, 06:07 PM

It looks like my father will be getting a free iMac from his place of work soon (which he's agreed to swap with me for my Rev C iMac, just as I was about to fork out �1500-�2000 on a new Mac; I luv my Dad!!! ).
I was just looking for a temporary soloution & I expected it to be pretty difficult to get the classic connected to the WWW, thanx for your info though, it's much appreciated.

[This message has been edited by roders (edited 11-12-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules