Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Printing from a Mac LC 2

Printing from a Mac LC 2
roders
Mac Elite
May 27, 2001, 11:50 AM

I'm trying to connect a Mac LC 2 to a HP Deskwriter 510, the computer is supposedly mac compatible but all the instructions are in german.
From what I can tell there is a cable which attatches from the printer (with what looks like a serial port/connector to the Mac with what appears to be a Scsi connector (or parallel????) i.e. it fits what I belive to be a scsi connector on the back of the mac.
I'm running system 7.1 on the LC, which is already a little slow, and the driver availble on HP's site for this printer apparently will only work with OS 8 & 9 + all the instructions/info on HP's site (which is very little)about this printer is only concerned with connecting this printer to the very latest Mac's running OSX; HELP!!!

gumby5647
Professional Poster
May 27, 2001, 05:40 PM

if you are trying to find a driver for it......there used to or still is a place on the 'net.... appledrivermuesum.com

thats probably not right.....do a search on yahoo with those words and you should be able to find it. It might have what you are looking for.

Sorry, im too lazy to do it for you

------------------
AIM: gumby5647
[email protected]
http://homepage.mac.com/gumby5647
iMac DV +, Indigo,
GO PHANTOM REGIMENT! All the way in '01!
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

etphonehome
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2001, 11:03 PM

Does the Mac-style end of the printer cable attach to the computer or the printer? If it attaches to the computer, all you should need to do is find a driver for it. Since it's an HP printer, this shouldn't be too hard. If the parallel port connector is what is supposed to plug into the computer, you'll need to find a new cable as well as a driver, since the printer won't work if it's plugged into the SCSI port and doing this could even damage the computer.
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

[email protected]

reader50
Administrator
May 28, 2001, 07:37 PM

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 28, 2001, 07:48 PM

Hi there,
That cable sounds more like a serial to parallel cable... you might want to see if you can find a mac serial din8 printer cable (it will be the same on both sides). You definitely do not want to plug it into your scsi port... as no Mac printer cables would utilize that port...
good luck,
dave

Tristrami
Senior User
May 28, 2001, 07:58 PM

You can download the driver directly from Hewlett-Packard here:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printer...110en.hqx.html

------------------
PM 5400/G3 400
Performa 6116CD

roders  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2001, 01:43 PM

It seems like I will need to get a Mac serial to serial cable (round 8 pin) but I was just wondering, can this bus/cable/connector supply power, because the printer is supposedly powered from the computer by this cable according to what I acn desipher form the german instruction manual (and the fact there is nowhere to coonect a power cable to the printer).
P.S can this Mac (LC 2 running OS 7.1) read dos formatted floppy discs?
P.S Thanx for all your help!

Tristrami
Senior User
May 29, 2001, 03:05 PM

Roders,

I'm fairly certain that it cannot serve as a power supply. The HP Deskwriter power supplies are fairly bulky. They plug in *underneath* the printer. Turn yours over and look for a thin rectangular apeture--this is where your power supply should go. Good luck!

------------------
PM 5400/G3 400
Performa 6116CD

Forum Links
Forum Rules