Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook battery running down--warranty?

iBook battery running down--warranty?
tonbo0422
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2003, 02:02 PM

I have an AppleCare warranty with a couple of years on it.

My white iBook 500's battery has now come down to about one hour's time unplugged. I've tried the Apple-recommended method of reconditioning (maxing out the battery, then filling it up etc.) with no result.

The unplug time seems to be decreasing by at least 3 minutes a day. Is it within my AppleCare warranty to get a new battery? I sure as hell paid enough for it.

namikun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 04:34 AM

My dual USB 500 also showed symptoms of the battery bug. As I am a proud owner of an Apple Care Protection Plan, I gave Apple Care a call and told them about my battery woes. They instantly offered to replace the battery. I received it via TNT courier last week and I now get more than 4h out of a full charge.

Comparing the old to the new battery back revealed that the latest ones are being produced in Taiwan (in contrast to Japan) and show the year 2002 on them.
Maybe they slightly revised the batteries to be more efficient?

Anyway, if you own a protection plan, don't hesitate to call Apple!

"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of market, always remember we are the top 10%"
Douglas Adams

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2003, 04:57 AM

The battery wear you're experiencing is normal. However, Apple will still replace your battery. Give them a call.

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 08:51 AM

Namikun,

Arigato! I will indeed call Apple. They've been good about replacing a faulty keyboard and system discs.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 09:24 AM

I have the same problem with my ibook battery, and never once thought to use the Applecare I bought... to me.

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2003, 11:42 AM

How long after the purchase will they replace the battery? I have an iBook that's 10.5 months old, and the battery is dying (I get about 20 minutes before it sleeps without warning). I had the battery replaced in oct or nov with the same problem. If I buy applecare, will they keep replacing the battery for the next 2 years? It seems like these only last for about 6 months.

namikun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 06:47 PM

jtc,
basically, your ibook is covered with the regular manufacturer waranty for 12 months after purchase.
Just give Apple Care a call and tell them about your battery troubles...

btw, I had been using my battery for 1.5 years (since Sept 2001) when they replaced it.
I guess the Protection Plan is really paying off.

"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of market, always remember we are the top 10%"
Douglas Adams

Forum Links
Forum Rules