Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "connection to this server has been unexpectedly broken" error

"connection to this server has been unexpectedly broken" error
tonbo0422
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2003, 01:38 PM

I'm pretty sure this has come up in a thread somewhere, but I couldn't find it in a search.

I have a local-area network and I'm trying to access a machine running OS X from my G4 running OS 9.2.2.

It's fine when I do it the other way--on the OS X machine to the OS 9 machine--but when I try from the OS 9 machine the other way, everything looks like it's going smoothly and then I get the error "The connection to this server has been unexpectedly broken."

When I do a search for this on the Web I get so many conflicting solutions (most of them mumbo-jumbo about IP addresses etc.) that I was wondering if there isn't a SIMPLE, step-by-step solution for this.

Incredible that Apple would create a situation where one of its older OSs can't talk to the newer one, when networking with Windows is old hat.

Cipher13
Apr 9, 2003, 06:08 PM

More details?

IP configurations, routers, firewalls, etc?

The EXACT error message?

Is it a -36? If so, turn off the OSX firewalls you may have running.

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2003, 07:18 PM

That IS the exact error message. My G4 (OS 9) is connected by ethernet cable to a router which is connected to an Airport base station. The iMac flat panel 17" 1GB (OS X) is connected via an Airport card. There are no firewalls anywhere.

Just your ol' home network.

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2003, 06:22 AM

I got this exact same message for the first time the other day (same situation). I managed to fix it by stopping file sharing on my iBook then starting it again. Worked like a charm for me...

biscuit

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 12:54 PM

But are you running OS9 on your iBook and OS X on the other machine?

Forum Links
Forum Rules