Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sawtooth 450: can I add a CD-RW below DVD drive?

Sawtooth 450: can I add a CD-RW below DVD drive?
tonbo0422
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 06:26 PM

I know that slot was meant for a Zip, but can I put a CD-RW in there? Do I need special mounting brackets etc?

Zoom
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 08:45 PM

I'd love to know this, too, but I'm afraid the answer is "no". I looked into this briefly way back when and as I recall, the Zip drive bracket that's there is pretty firmly mounted. I was told it couldn't be done, but given a blowtorch and some C4 I'm sure you could open up the bay.

Seriously, though, I don't think there's a simple way to remove the Zip drive bracket and mount a standard size optical drive. That really pissed me off when I bought this machine. I assumed that bay was usable and it's just not.

I've even heard that the newer machines (MDD) won't easily take a standard optical drive, but that might not be true. I can't recall where I heard that.

tr
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 08:49 PM

well, quick answer: sort of, if you want to do some heavy modding.

the bracket that holds the CD-ROM also holds the zip; it's a one piece bracket. you're going to have to do some metal cutting to get that CD/zip bracket to become a CD/CD bracket, or fab something up yourself.

do a search in the mac modification forum, this has been talked about before.

tr

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 10:15 PM

Well, this was for a friend to whom I sold my 450. I bought a DVD drive to complement my CD-RW in the 733 and was MOST pissed off when I went to install it and saw this stupid Zip thing there. (Who the HELL uses Zip drives any more when you can burn a CD in 5 minutes?) I was going to sell him the CD-RW but now it looks like that won't be possible. Anyone wanna buy a CD-RW that won't fit in their G4?

Trust Apple to drop the ball again.

horrorbiz
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 11:49 PM

how much? i need one for my b&w g3.. the stock one is tooo loud.

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2003, 12:30 PM

I was thinking in the neighborhood of $50 (including shipping.) I've actually never used it to burn a CD-RW (never saw much sense--they're so cheap, why re-use them?)

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by tonbo0422:
Well, this was for a friend to whom I sold my 450. I bought a DVD drive to complement my CD-RW in the 733 and was MOST pissed off when I went to install it and saw this stupid Zip thing there. (Who the HELL uses Zip drives any more when you can burn a CD in 5 minutes?) I was going to sell him the CD-RW but now it looks like that won't be possible. Anyone wanna buy a CD-RW that won't fit in their G4?

Trust Apple to drop the ball again.
You can still get an external Firewire case for that drive
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2003, 12:39 PM

I took a dremel to my case and managed to squeeze a jazz drive into that spot. Five and a quarter inch drives would require some serious metal cutting!

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 01:25 PM

Yes, external FireWire cases are selling for around $50 on eBay. That's a pretty good deal. Then I might be able to get $150 for it!

Dace
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 01:36 PM

Next time get a LG combo drive (CD-R/RW/DVD - All in one), like I did on my G4 Sawtooth And it has been done before, someone once had step by step instructions on their iTools website...it involved cutting.
( Last edited by Dace; Apr 10, 2003 at 03:48 PM. )

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 01:55 PM

Wow, dace, you're right around the corner from me.

Yes, LG (the Canadian computer manufacturer) has some good stuff.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 10, 2003, 02:43 PM

You can't do that. If squeeze a CD drive into the space designed for the Zip, you'll run into the CPU. If you put it above the existing drive, you run into the RAM modules.

Get an external FireWire case instead.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules