Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Mini DV to G4: what kind of cable?

Mini DV to G4: what kind of cable?
tonbo0422
Forum Regular
May 20, 2002, 03:42 PM

I have a JVC DVM50 mini-DV camera but it didn't come with any cables. I can't find any place on JVC's site (or anywhere else, for that matter) that says what kind of cable I need to hook the camera up to my G4's Firewire port.

The Mini DV has a port that which says "DV IN/OUT and looks remarkably like my digital (still) camera's port, but even though my digital camera cable, which plugs into my Firewire port on the G4, looks like it should fit the Mini DV's port, it doesn't.

When I look closely at the Mini DV's port, I see that it has a tiny raised area that prevents the digital camera cable from plugging in, so I must need some different kind of cable.

The JVC site has a list of accessories for my camera here, but nowhere does it say "Cable hooks up to Firewire port on Mac."

Help! There must be some generic cable that doesn't cost $44 out there.

Nick

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 03:50 PM

i.link == IEEE 1394 == FireWire

From the info I found, the JVC DVM50 does support these.

On the page you listed, you probably want either the "DV CABLE" or "DV CABLE (4-6 PIN)" to connect to your Mac. But which? Look at the camera. if the port is small and squarish with a bump on one of the longer sides, then it's 4-pin. If it's bigger and wider like on the Mac itself, then it's 6-pin. Most cameras I've seen (including mine) use 4-pin FireWire ports; so, you'd probably want the "DV CABLE (4-6 PIN)" product. In fact, if you look really closely, you can probably count the number of pins if you are hesitant.

However, I'd suggest you look around other retailers before you buy that. Any 4-to-6 pin FireWire/i.Link/IEEE 1394 cable will do just fine and you may find one cheaper than $44.97 elsewhere.

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

BTP
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 03:55 PM

Or just buy a 4-6 pin Firewire converter. Radio Shack, Fry's etc. About $6.

It converts a normal firewire to a iLink 4-pin.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2002, 04:12 PM

I looked at the documentation that came with the camera and it definitely says the DV IN/OUT port adheres to the IEEE 1394 standard, and I had read specifically before I bought the camera that it "connects to your Firewire port on your computer", so I guess it's just a matter of figuring out whether it's 4-4 or 4-6.

Since my G4 Firewire port is obviously much larger that the camera's I'd assume it's 4-6.

Next question: what program should I use once it's hooked up? iMovie or something else?

Sorry, that really should be a different post . . .

Nick

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by tonbo0422:
<STRONG>Since my G4 Firewire port is obviously much larger that the camera's I'd assume it's 4-6.</STRONG>
Correct. The port on the Mac itself is 6-pin.

And, yeah, use iMovie or Final Cut Pro if you can afford it.
Welcome to the fun fun world of digital video!

SirCastor
Professional Poster
May 22, 2002, 01:19 AM

Unfortunately Firewire cables are expensive. I haven't seen one cheaper than $30, and that was a 6-6 pin cable. $40-$50 is typical for a 4-6pin.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

bluehz
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2002, 07:30 AM

I would have never believed it unless I tried it myself. I picked up a 15' Firewire 6-4 DV Cable for $8.00 around Xmas 2001 - has been working fantastic with iMovie/FCP3/iBook2001/G4 and Sharp DV camera. I thought for sure there was no way I could get a quality cable for $8.00 when all the others cost $40 - but I fig whats the worst I could lose - $8.00. Anyway - don't be fooled by the prices - these cables DON'T have to cost $40. Total cost of my 6-4 FW cable was $15 with shipping.

http://comready.com/

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
May 23, 2002, 05:10 PM

Is it just me or doesn't the G4 COME with a 4-6 Cable? Mine did and works beutifully with My DV cam and tower. It's a silver cable with clear ends. Came in the box.

Mac Guru

starfleetX
Mac Elite
May 24, 2002, 05:22 AM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
<STRONG>Is it just me or doesn't the G4 COME with a 4-6 Cable?</STRONG>
That's exactly what I thought.

As I understood it, every Mac that came with a FireWire port has shipped with a 4-to-6 pin FireWire cable. Maybe some 3rd party retailers don't give out the cable?

fulmer
Professional Poster
May 25, 2002, 02:08 AM

I've never seen a Mac ship w/ a firewire cable of any kind, 4-6 or 6-6. My QPS firewire burner came with a 6-6 pin cable.

you can pick up a 4-6 pin firewire cable at wal-mart. just look in their electronics section and then where they keep the computer cables.

pal05
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2002, 02:20 AM

Mhm i would buy a cable but then ... i look at my orig. package from apple and ... here is it a firewire 4-6 pin calbe. Sony MiniDV i come!

=)

BTP
Mac Elite
May 25, 2002, 12:29 PM

Yep. A 4-6 pin cable shipped with my 867.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2002, 06:40 PM

I've probably bought 15 Macs in the past few years, and NEVER got a FireWire cable. Not once.

nitram_at_work
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2002, 07:19 PM

Never got a firewire cable with my G4, never got one with my Sony miniDV.

Of the two ommissions, I thought the latter was the most curious.

Anyway, I can pick one up here for A$30 so I'd imagine they wouldn't be more that US$30.

Have fun with the movies.
_ _ _______ _ _
is this where the signature goes?

chip-douglas
Banned
May 31, 2002, 08:58 PM

Hmm, did anyone get a firewire cable with their FP iMac? Mine didn't come with one and neither did my sony mini DV. You would think if you blow near $1000 on a camera made for marketed for home DV editing and iLink that they'd throw in the cable :/

Sony did include a USB cable, but that doesn't help because iMovie needs FW. So here's a question: after using Image Capture in X to get an blahblah.MPG file, is there a utility that will convert it to QT DV?

Forum Links
Forum Rules