Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How long has my Mac been on?

How long has my Mac been on?
tonbo0422
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2002, 11:25 PM

Is there a utility that can tell me how many hours my G4 has been on since the first time it was started? Like a mileage gauge?

MacCheck used to do that but it's too old now.

VanToffler
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2002, 11:58 PM

If you are running OS X, just open up terminal and on a line by itself type in "uptime" and then hit return. You will get something that looks sort of like this:

[localhost:~] chris% uptime
11:02PM up 1 day, 12:53, 2 users, load averages: 0.62, 0.74, 0.66

Now you are a UNIX power user!

Originally posted by tonbo0422:
<STRONG>Is there a utility that can tell me how many hours my G4 has been on since the first time it was started? Like a mileage gauge?

MacCheck used to do that but it's too old now.</STRONG>

Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2002, 12:04 AM

What about total mileage. Like since we first got our G4s?

VanToffler
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2002, 12:06 AM

I don't know if that exists, but I'm guessing it would have to be a PRAM kind of thing. Sort of like the page count on a LaserJet.

That would be cool. An odometer for your Mac.

Originally posted by 11011001:
<STRONG>What about total mileage. Like since we first got our G4s?</STRONG>

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2002, 12:10 AM

unlike windows there are none of the cpu wastin' dumb stuff. sorry, i had the same question awile ago.

P.D.

Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2002, 12:18 AM

Lol...

I have zapped my PRAM so many times anyways.

But that uptime is useful. I leave my comp on 24/7 most of the time anyways. I think I will write a little app that will launch at start up, hide itself, and count away, and store the time in a pref file in the application bundle, so that it can monitor total time for all users. Ahh the things I waste my life on

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2002, 01:09 AM

Wow. I would have thought there'd be a million apps that did that. Now I'm getting the message that there are *none* . . . this seems to be such an elementary yardstick, you'd think at least something like TechTool Pro would be able to tell you . . . after all, what do computers do better than mindlessly calculate? You'd think they'd be able to tell you how many hours they'd been alive . . .

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2002, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by tonbo0422:
<STRONG>Wow. I would have thought there'd be a million apps that did that. Now I'm getting the message that there are *none* . . . this seems to be such an elementary yardstick, you'd think at least something like TechTool Pro would be able to tell you . . . after all, what do computers do better than mindlessly calculate? You'd think they'd be able to tell you how many hours they'd been alive . . .</STRONG>
I was just thinking about this the other day...Tattletech (I forget which version) had a feature whereby it told you how long your computer had been powered on since it was made. I ran it on OS8 on my old Quadra, but I'm not sure if there are new versions that will work on G4s. (Maybe the old version will work, who knows.) Maybe someone out there knows what happened to this utility...

Cipher13
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2002, 03:33 AM

Can't be done with New World ROM machines.

It can with old world machines.

I had a Beige G3 at work that had clocked up about 72000 hours... then I had to reset its PRAM. That was painful.

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2002, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>Can't be done with New World ROM machines.
</STRONG>
Yep, I ran Tattletech yesterday and it couldn't tell me how many hours the computer had been on. Oh well...

Forum Links
Forum Rules